Is Sony going to spend 2008 with no prosumer camera? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old April 17th, 2008, 07:04 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Is Sony going to spend 2008 with no prosumer camera?

There was the VX1000 and 2000, the FX1 for the Z1 and the FX7 for the V1.

Now sony has the Z7 and no prosumer equivalent.

And of course this prosumer couldn't have interchangeable lenses because of the price point.

Did the FX7 sell so badly? What's Sony intentions behind not releasing a prosumer camera this year?
Old April 18th, 2008, 02:19 AM   #2
Regular Crew

To sell more V1/Z1 units before they get refreshed?

Or maybe they're gonna release a new model later in the year...
Jamie Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 02:45 AM   #3
Trustee

What do you think the EX1 and EX3 are for?
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 03:58 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I'm intrigued by the same question... I've got the FX7 and like it a lot, as well as the little CX7... NEITHER of which has a "replacement" announced, seems rather strange really! Maybe I just like the underdogs...

The EX1 is in another price class, as is the Z7... the FX7 was affordable enough that it made sense for the "prosumer" (I suspect it didn't do well in the market due to some rather biased early reviews gushing about Canon...)

With the Panasonic HMC150 coming out, I'd like to see Sonys answer to that, unless they intend to bring the buy-in point down quite a way on the EX1... which would be fine in the face of Scarlett... hey, one can dream!

With NAB fading into memory shortly... will Sony have some surprises, and when will they let the cat out of the bag?? When is the next big electronics show in 2008? Did someone forget to bring the new toys out of the lab??

Something with 3x 1/3" CMOS and flash recording at a 3-5K price point seems logical, yet other than the aging FX1 (wasn't that also scheduled for retirement?), nothing from Sony??

Maybe the "prosumer" market just isn't big enough to worry about? With very high quality video and intelligent "auto" capability in the SR11/12, seems like they got a winner in the consumer space, and I guess the EX production lines can't crank 'em out fast enough...

If the FX7 sold poorly, there may just not have been any incentive to serve that market segment when the production is needed for things selling like proverbial hotcakes!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 06:05 PM   #5
Major Player

I guess the next venture for Sony is a prosumer AVCHD model, like Panasonic's HMC150. However, I think Sony is going to stick with the V1 as the lower end model to the Z7. I also think that Sony can't rely on the V1 to compete against Panasonic's HMC150. Sony must have something up its sleeve. I wouldn't put it past them to announce something in July for a new late November or December prosumer camera.
John Bosco Jr. is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition