Sony xr 520 slow mo settings? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old July 15th, 2009, 05:01 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony xr 520 slow mo settings?

Hi, i have had by cam for a little while now and used the slow motion feature a few times.

One thing i can't find in the settings is how to you alter the frames per second rate? its default seems to be 60 fps. But in all the advertising it says it does from 60 fps to 240 fps.

anyone know where this setting is?

my little collection of slow mo footage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2Nkz90sNEE

thanks
russ
Russell Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2009, 05:27 PM   #2
Inner Circle

If you used the Smooth Slow Record function (p.45-46), then that's it. The cam doesn't really have variable frame rates and doesn't really overcrank. SMTH SLW REC *is* the 240 fps rate. And in this case the f is for fields, not frames.

For the uninitiated, the regular video from this and all US HD interlaced cams is 30 frames or 60 fields per second. Sony's SMTH SLW REC function is 120 frames/240 fields per second at 1/4 the resolution, or just a little better than VHS; it's not HD or even as good as DV.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2009, 06:33 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info Adam, it was a bit confusing.

so is it 120 frames per second or 30 frames per second when i use "SMTH SLW REC"?

sorry but i am just confused :(
Old July 15th, 2009, 07:06 PM   #4
Major Player

It's 120 fields, or 60 frames.. basically 50% speed. Problem is.. as he says, its poor resolution, so you won't really be able to use the video in an SD timeline as it's going to be smaller. That seems odd to me tho that they do that..that really renders it useless except for maybe web video.
Kevin Duffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2009, 08:10 PM   #5
Regular Crew

ok, so its 60 frames per second. the video i took seems fine to me regardless if its classed as poor resolution or not. it looks great. even this boat video i took sony XR520ve boat in slow motion test on Vimeo

thats the reason for the question. as someone asked me and i actually wasn't sure and now i am still not 100% sure lol :)
Old July 15th, 2009, 09:52 PM   #6
Inner Circle

You can't change the frame rate, but the camera and PMB indicate it is in fact shooting the slo-mo in HD resolution... I know earlier cameras were limited to SD, but it appears the XR is not.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2009, 11:00 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Duffey View Post
It's 120 fields, or 60 frames.. basically 50% speed.
I can't swear to it, as the manual isn't specific and I don't have the 520V, but all other Sony cams to date do it as I described above, which is 120 Frames/240 fields per second in that mode, or 25% speed.

From the Sony Website:

"Smooth Slow Record:
The Smooth Slow Record mode increases the record rate from 60 frames per second (fps) to 240 fps, allowing you to capture 3 seconds of fast motion and play the video back in 12 seconds. This is a great tool for analyzing a golf swing or a viewing a bird in flight. In addition, you record an audio track to narrate the video footage."

Of course when they say frames they mean fields, as this is a 100% 60i cam and does not have any form of progressive.

HDR-XR520V | HDR-XR520V 240GB High Definition HandycamŽ Camcorder | Sony | SonyStyle USA
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 04:11 PM   #8
Inner Circle

The camera uses a buffer to record at 4x the "normal" frame rate (60i x 4 = 240i meaning that 3 seconds played back at 60i results in 12 seconds of playback) - I would presume this means that for a short burst, they are pushing/pulling the data through the sensor (probably causing some heat buildup, but no problem for short bursts?) at an accelerated rate.

Apparently with the "R" sensor they were able to maintain the HD resolution - haven't played with the function much yet, but will have to fiddle with it some more - I have a couple things I want to try with it...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 04:29 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Bailey View Post
ok, so its 60 frames per second. the video i took seems fine to me regardless if its classed as poor resolution or not. it looks great. even this boat video i took sony XR520ve boat in slow motion test on Vimeo

thats the reason for the question. as someone asked me and i actually wasn't sure and now i am still not 100% sure lol :)
Actually Russell, since you're in Australia, you have a XR520VE and so the Smooth Slow Record will be shooting at 100frames-per-second, and not 120-frames-per-second.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 12:34 AM   #10
Regular Crew

thanks for the clarification Stu, I will update the response to my video again :)

thanks
russ
Russell Bailey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition