Can a regular DVD player play HD videos? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old July 21st, 2009, 09:01 AM   #1
New Boot

Can a regular DVD player play HD videos?

Hi, I know this has already been asked so many times in the internet but I can't seem to find an answer. Here's the thing, I edit AVCHD videos in Premiere CS4 and I output them to a H 264 with a full HD setting (1080). Now, I'd like to burn these HD videos to a regular DVD (with HD quality) and play it on a regular DVD. Can this be done? My DVD player has an HDMI cable and as I read somewhere that regular DVDs can only play 720s not full HD. Thanks.
Ian Duff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 11:00 AM   #2
Inner Circle

in short... NO!

It is possible to burn certain HD formats to a regular DVD disk and play those disks back on a BluRay player, I've done it using Vegas with decent results. But no DVD player that I know of will play back any HD formats... some "uprez", supposedly with good results, and I would expect that an SD disk one creates might see some benefits.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 11:12 AM   #3
Trustee

If CS3 works like some other packages and can create a Blu-ray compliant file you can burn that to a regular DVD media (you'll be limited to about 18-20 minutes of program material on a single layer disk, up to double that if your system will work with dual layer) which can then be played on a Blu-ray player or Sony PlayStation 3.

It CANNOT be played in a regular DVD player, if you attempt to do so it will very likely fail to even register in any way and will also NOT EJECT requiring you to have the unit serviced to get the disk out.

A much more convenient way if you're not going to invest in a Blu-ray burner is to render your HD content to any of the HD file formats a media player will handle. I have the $99 WD TV by Western Digital which has 2 USB inputs and an HDMI out to hook up to your TV. While they intended for you to hook up an external USB hard drive to it, I copy my files to a "thumb" drive and plug that into one of the USB inputs.

Looks great.

As for the HDMI output on your regular DVD this is to accommodate "upconverting". A standard definition DVD such as a commercial movie that probably has 480 lines of resolution can be "upconverted" with software to 720p or 1080p. The result passed on to the HDMI input on the TV is not "true" 720p or 1080p definition, but looks very much like it is about 1/3 of the way there. It looks visibly better than the DVD players that put out 480p over the 3 component cables, but will not look as crisp and clear as Blu-ray.

For now, I'm happy playing regular commercial movies on an upconverting DVD player and even HD content burned in standard definition to regular DVD media looks better when played on those upconverting players.

Hope I've answered some of your questions.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 08:14 AM   #4
New Boot

Thanks for the replies. =) guess I'll just have to wait until Blu ray discs are a lot cheaper or if I had the luxury to buy a blu ray player. =) Thanks again guys!
Ian Duff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 11:38 PM   #5
Trustee

There are a few networked players (for example the Avel Linkplayer2) that will play HD mpeg2 off a standard red-laser DVD-R disk. (Note that technically these are not 'DVDs')

My Linkplayer did well with 720P30 or 720P60, but struggled with 1080i ... you might find one on EBay for around $100.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 04:45 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Ian, If your just wanting to be able to create HD material and want to play it back then
you could also get the Western Digital Media Player and use that as your bluray player until
you get a bluray writer/reader later...

they are cheap and if you want you can also offload any bluray movie and it will play those
back also...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition