HDV bandwidth specs, includes audio? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old March 13th, 2005, 05:01 PM   #1
Contributor

HDV bandwidth specs, includes audio?

When Sony says their 1080i HDV is 25 Mbps, does that include the audio? Similarly, when JVC says their "pro" HDV is 720p at 19 Mbps, is that just video or does it include the 4 tracks of audio?Anybody have more info on this?
Old March 14th, 2005, 12:22 AM   #2
Barry Wan Kenobi

It's all-inclusive -- video, audio, timecode, everything. And HDV doesn't have 4 tracks of audio, it has two. The four channels were mentioned in relation to ProHD XE, which is apparently a new format (including higher bitrate). If JVC is extending the HDV specification in ProHD then they could incorporate more audio tracks, but that would make it incompatible with regular HDV.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2005, 06:59 AM   #3
Contributor

They are, and the question stands for that version of HDV as well. What I am trying to determine is the actual bandwidth for video that is left over after you strip audio from the stream, in both cases. Does anybody know the exact numbers? Is it the same thing for DV? Is 25 Mbps including audio?
Old March 14th, 2005, 07:51 AM   #4

If it's HDV, then the specified datarate would include audio. Even if it wasn't HDV, I can't imagine the datarate being spec'd wouldn't include audio.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2005, 09:44 AM   #5
Contributor

Ok. Good to know. Now, what would the separate data rates be for audio and video? I just want to build a comparative table of video and audio data rates for different formats and can't seem to find the specific info, only the combined data rates.
Old March 14th, 2005, 10:39 AM   #6
Major Player

For DV, the 25mb spec is video only -- audio is on top of that. I'm not sure about HDV -- I think Adam Wilt spells it out on his site but the site is down ...

GB
R Geoff Baker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition