New FireStore FS-4 HD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old March 15th, 2005, 06:32 AM   #1
New Boot

New FireStore FS-4 HD

very nice: http://www.focusinfo.com/company/pr_new/031405_FS4HD.htm

ciao Roland
Roland Lioni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2005, 06:42 AM   #2
Trustee

Sweet!
Old March 15th, 2005, 11:15 AM   #3
Major Player

I would imagine, that 40% of HDV users will buy this new FS-4 HD or DV Rack HD! I know dag-on well I will own one or both.

Just imagine the possibilities!

One thing though.... TIMECODE is a MUST! The timecode must be in synch with what is recorded on MiniDV Tape! Give or take a few frames is OK, but for the most part, timecode gotta be in line.

I cannot edit from a DTE/DTD file and in the event of calamity, I need to recapture from my tapes...I need my NLE to be able to find the clips without problem.

- ShannonRawls.com
Shannon Rawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2005, 12:53 PM   #4
Major Player

I agree whole-heartedly ... matching timecode is critical.

But I don't see how the Firestore device can offer this ... given that the Firestore offers a prestart buffer that would be recording without tape running.

I'm ready to see how it actually turns out, but my guess is the timecode won't match.

GB
R Geoff Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2005, 02:21 PM   #5
Major Player

Freerun (Time of Day) timecode is just fine with me.
I will simply set the camera and the DVR at 00:00:00;00 at crew call and start them at the same time (will be a few frames off, but that's ok)

To claim to be a "PRO" product, you gotta add some "PRO" features. That's how I look at it.

Maybe it should have the option to turn off the pre-roll feature and simply slave to the tapes timecode, same as a 1-to-1 copy on a deck. If it can't slave/sync to the cameras timecode, that's ok, just add freerun timecode option and everything is solved.

- ShannonRawls.com
Shannon Rawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2005, 02:38 PM   #6
Regular Crew

The firestore device stores the raw MPEG 2 transport stream coming from the camera according to the press release. This stream contains timecode as I explained earlier.
Ben De Rydt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2005, 03:10 PM   #7
Trustee

Hey, but Ben....we have a few capturing systems out there now and none of them pull time code from the HDV cameras. The only one I'm aware of that does is the HDVxDV - no one here has bought it to try it though. I think we're all tired of buying software right now. (I mean on the Mac end.)
Old March 15th, 2005, 03:37 PM   #8
Major Player

Actually I have realized that I was thinking of 'DV Rack' when I mentioned the 'always recording' feature -- I don't recall if the Firestore offers something similar but I think not.

My hope is that the device uses the timecode that is sent to tape.

GB
R Geoff Baker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition