The HDV camera of all HDV cameras.... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old May 15th, 2005, 05:13 PM   #1
Major Player

The HDV camera of all HDV cameras....

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I've been out working quite a bit using my cheap ragedy Z1 camera with all its problems and issues that some people with hidden agendas claims that it has. LOLOL

"Wait till NAB"

Remember that old saying that certain people kept throwing in our face....and now that NAB has come and gone.... now what?? LOL Last I checked, the same Prosumer HD camera that was #1 before NAB, is still #1 at the time I type this message and is selling like hotakes. It's kinda like....hmm, how can describe this....OK...WHO GOES TO THE AUTO SHOW EVERY YEAR?? Here in Los Angeles the show is in January. We go there to check out new cars, see the latest advancements, peep the models and mockups, and go home still living in reality. How come nobody sits on their money waiting to buy a car that won't come out for 11 months? people buy cars now, sell cars later. Why is it that we have 'common sense' when it comes to spending $40,000.00 on an automobile...but we have to "WAIT TILL NAB" and then "WAIT TILL WINTER" to spend $6k on a toy that has a better resale value then your car?? it's amazing to say the least.

Anyhow. Back to the subject of this thread.
Everybody is waiting for this and waiting for that. Not sure of this, not sure of that.

Well, does anybody remember the Post I made about Canon? http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=41307

*shakin' my head* I dunno guys....think about it! Please tell me. WHO is in the BEST POSITION right now?? Of all the manufacturers...Sony, Panasonic, JVC, Canon.....of all these guys who are quick to drop little see-thru veils over their cameras that ain't even here yet....who is in the best position to hit a GRAND SLAM HOME RUN??

While you sit up and talk about how slow they are and how late they always have been and all that stuff, I wouldn't call them that considering their current position. Instead I would call them SMART!

EVERYBODY ELSE has shown their poker hand. Only one left who hasn't shown their hand, and I bet....it will be a Straight Flush! (and I think imma gonna bet my money on them)

- Shannon W. Rawls, back to work
- a lover of dvinfo.net
Shannon Rawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2005, 06:06 PM   #2
Major Player

http://dvformat.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=32406

The camera selling well? I read somewhere 35,000 Z1's were sold. According to this article, which is accurate, it is less than 8,000.

I own FX1E, I'm very satisfied.

Radek
Radek Svoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2005, 06:34 PM   #3
Regular Crew

no matter what comes up later this year, it's going to be hard to beat what sony has to offer. even if someone like panasonic has a hit, it will take at least 6 mo. to work out the kinks and work flow to where people will be willing to buy there new small hd camera.
if that happens, sony will probably trump then at next years NAB.
DARRELL
FIRST CINEMA PICTURES
Old May 15th, 2005, 08:13 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
The camera selling well? I read somewhere 35,000 Z1's were sold. According to this article, which is accurate, it is less than 8,000.
The implication of that article is that they sold 8,000 either in March 2005 or by the end of March 2005. The "see big sales in March 05" title seems kind of a hint in that direction :).

As I said in another thread, the store I bought from said that Z1s were selling as fast as they could get in new stock... as far as I can see, Sony aren't having any trouble selling them.
Mark Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2005, 11:52 PM   #5
suspended -- contact admin

Well JVC beat Sony before when JVC introduced the worlds first HDV camera along with its HD-VHS deck. And if that wasn't enough it was JVC that introduced the worlds first super high definition television the radical JVC 1500i television while Sony only makes lower resolution 1080i televisions.
Tommy James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2005, 12:52 AM   #6
Major Player

Everybody talks about JVC 1500i TV's. They really have pixels to handle 1500i? Have 1500x2667 pixels? If not, then how many pixels? Do they even 1920x1080 pixels? If they are CRT based, they really handle 1500x2667? There are bunch monitors that advertise lot higher resolution than can display. Just because monitor or TV can handle electronically high resolution is meaningless if display cannot.

Radek
Old May 16th, 2005, 08:28 AM   #7

Any cathode ray tube television that can display 540 pixels progressively can display 1080 pixels interlaced. And a CRT monitor that can display 720 pixels at once can display 1440 pixels interlaced. Fixed pixel displays cannot do this and need the capability to display 1440 pixels at once.
Old May 16th, 2005, 03:04 PM   #8
Major Player

Not necessarely, also are you saying the JVC will display 2667x1500? I bet it will not.
Old May 17th, 2005, 08:18 AM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Grant
The implication of that article is that they sold 8,000 either in March 2005
See Sony's May 17 press release for the new HVR-A1U which they just announced.

http://news.sel.sony.com/pressrelease/5925

Quote:
The new HVR-A1U HDV camcorder complements Sony's first entry into the professional HDV market, the HVR-Z1U. Introduced last fall, more than 37,000 units of Sony HDV products have already been delivered to customers worldwide.
Note that it says "HDV products." So evidently this combines both FX-1 and Z-1 sales, and maybe even the tape deck?
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2005, 10:17 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy James
Any cathode ray tube television that can display 540 pixels progressively can display 1080 pixels interlaced. And a CRT monitor that can display 720 pixels at once can display 1440 pixels interlaced. Fixed pixel displays cannot do this and need the capability to display 1440 pixels at once.
First I assume you means lines not pixels if this is so then this is not quite true as the interlaced CRT does not use the SAME 540 horizontal lines twice, they are different ODD and EVEN lines so to display 1080i the CRT has to have the capability( phosphor dots/shadow mask) to scan all 1080 lines. This is the vertical resolution. The horizontal resolution in HD is 1920 or whatever the display can manage, in CRT's this is often less than the true HD limit. It is quite likely that a 1080i CRT can display 1080P though if the electronics can store and scan at this rate. LCD do have discrete pixels and will need to have both horizontal and vertical pixels to match the input image or have internal circuitry to adapt the input to the display pixel count.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2005, 08:14 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek Svoboda
http://dvformat.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=32406

I own FX1E, I'm very satisfied.

Radek
So you think that Sony would be unhappy with the figure of 8,000 Z1's sold from release (in limited geographic regions), which wasn't that long ago, until the interview was done... i.e. a couple of months at the very most?

Even if we assumed the average unit cost at $4,000 US, the overall take is 32 million dollars US. Would you be displeased to have generated such a turnover in a relatively short period of time, with such an 'exotic' product?

Add the FX-1's that have been on sale longer... You really want to say that Sony isn't doing well from HDV?
Steve Crisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2005, 09:21 PM   #12
Major Player

well Shannon, I couldn't care less what Canon does 'cause I'm more than happy with one of those 8000 z1 babies and I haven't even edited in HDV yet. Just downconverting and running thru Mr. Nattress' filter is enough to satisfy my little heart. And imagine, when I get fcp5 ...
If a person can't do serious work with a z1 then they should take up golf ( no offense to golfers intended - well , maybe alittle!) Kurth
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2005, 02:02 AM   #13

The JVC 1500i television gives you 10.95 million sub pixels of resolution.
That equals 3.65 million pixels that are displayed after interlacing.
the Sony only gives you a display of 6.2 million sub pixels or 2.07 million pixels of resolution. So JVC beats Sony but apparently Sony has more credibility ?
Old May 18th, 2005, 10:39 AM   #14
Major Player

1080i/p is only about 2 MP. I doubt JVC sets have higher resolution. Could you post some links, please, not just some pixel numbers. If you could post link to specs and price of this JVC set, maybe you'd make believer of me and others. Until then, I just don't believe JVC makes better sets than Sony.

Radek
Old May 18th, 2005, 12:53 PM   #15
Trustee

Considering JVC just released the XL3 (read HD100) I don't really know what Canon can pull out of their hat that will have such a big impact as what Shannon is expecting. Maybe they will be the first with interlaced and progressive. JVC and Sony seem commited to their progressive and interlaced formats. This may be Canons niche, along with overpricing and Canon styling as usual.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition