HPX 171 4:2:2 or EX3? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old March 8th, 2010, 11:42 AM   #16
Inner Circle

I've not heard any rumors.
Old March 8th, 2010, 02:31 PM   #17
Tourist

EX3 Rumor

This appeared in one of the Cinematography.net discussion groups. This is the only mention of any possible upgrade to the EX3 that I've seen. Would be nice if they upgraded the EX-3 like they did the EX-1. I guess we will find out at NAB.

Below is the copy and paste from Cinemtography.net

and the link:

I heard rumors that the EX-3 will be updated around NAB but don't know
for sure.
It makes sense for them to update the EX-3 because the EX1R has solved
the IR/far-red issue. Its also I believe a bit faster and records SD
- All very significant upgrades so it really cuts into anyone's
desire to buy an EX-3 if it doesn't have those upgrades. The IR issue
is very big.
I'd be surprised if Sony doesn't upgrade it, but who knows.

Lenny Levy DP
San Rafael, CA

Hope this helps.

Mark
Mark Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 02:47 PM   #18
Major Player

Hm... I've heard about a completely new camera, not an upgrade. But maybe, this is it. When is NAB?

Edit: oh, I see. 10-15 april :)

Last edited by Sanjin Svajger; March 8th, 2010 at 03:39 PM.
Sanjin Svajger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 04:53 PM   #19
Inner Circle

It can be difficult to separate rumours based on fact from rumours based on speculaton by the time they've been repeated and repeated again.

And I can't claim to have any direct information or knowledge that isn't public.

But I've speculated before that the announcement of the PMW350 and the upgrade of the EX1 to the EX1R leaves a big question mark over Sony's range regarding the EX3. The EX1R offers a number of significant advantages over the EX3 despite being cheaper - of which the IR aspect and SD recording are only two. I can't believe that EX3 salesman aren't having a lot of questions along the lines of "you expect me to pay a lot more than for the EX1R, but it won't do all those things the EX1R does.....?"

But Sony have said "they have no plans to upgrade the EX3 in the same way as the EX1". Of course, that form of wording doesn't preclude them from discontinuing the EX3, and replacing it with a different model. My money would be on a 1/2" shouldermount, more nearly halfway between the EX1R and the 350, which would also be a direct competitor to Panasonics HPX300. If you don't have a direct need for a new camera NOW, it seems very sensible to wait and see what happens at NAB. That doesn't just apply to the Sony range - we know there's something coming from Canon, and Panasonics 171 is way overdue for replacement.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 05:27 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Heath View Post
If you don't have a direct need for a new camera NOW, it seems very sensible to wait and see what happens at NAB.
This is painful. But I do need a camera now...
Guess I'm just gonna go with the used HPX and then sell it by the summers end. Getting an 8 months old, used 5 time HPX for 3k (from a friend) is still a good price for where I come from. And I probably won't have a problem selling it 6 months from now for approximately the same - a little less - amount of money.
Sanjin Svajger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 06:00 PM   #21
Trustee

Sounds like a no brainer. While I like the Sony gears pictures I dislike the EX-3 ergonomics so I think you will find the HPX-170 much fun.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 07:08 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjin Svajger View Post
And I probably won't have a problem selling it 6 months from now for approximately the same - a little less - amount of money.
Predicting the future is notoriously difficult, but I'm not sure you're right. I see the HPX300 as a sign that Panasonic are only too well aware that 960x540 chips (and hence the 171) are long in the tooth, and I'd be prepared to put a bet on them coming out with something to replace the 171 soon. Maybe at NAB? My guess would be a similar 1920x1080 (though 1/3") front end like the HPX300, also AVC-Intra, but with a similar form to the 171.

IF they do, expect the value of used 171's to drop like a stone. Less people will want to buy them, and more will come on the market as users seek to replace them with whatever Panasonic comes up with - or EX's for that matter.

You'll also be committing yourself to a workflow and peripherals, such as P2 cards, readers, etc. If in six months time, you decide the Sony route is the one for you, that could all mount up.

I don't need a new camera yet - and I'm glad of that. If I had to get something now, it'd probably be an EX3, and a lot of the reasoning is 1/2" v 1/3" chips. That is the biggest single factor that makes a difference to the picture. Yes, the ergonomics aren't good, but then neither are those of the Ex1 or the HVX 171. At least the EX cameras have true manual lens.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 08:10 PM   #23
Trustee

David, just one minor correction. The EX series including the new PMW350 all ship with an electronic servo lens. It's not a true manual although it behaves like one. It's servo focus and zoom. When you slide the focus ring into the manual position, it engages end stops making it feel and work like a manual connection, but if you switch off the power nothing moves.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 12:53 AM   #24
Trustee

Tom, the focus is connected to a servo. But the zoom is fully mechanically manual.

Quote:
My money would be on a 1/2" shouldermount, more nearly halfway between the EX1R and the 350, which would also be a direct competitor to Panasonics HPX300.
My money would firmly be on such a camera.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 04:36 PM   #25
Trustee

Thanks Simon.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 07:31 PM   #26
Regular Crew

I know that Panasonic is showing a large sensor palmcorder at NAB, could be 2/3" or larger. It will most likely just be AVCCAM, not P2 DVCPRO HD or AVC-Intra, so more prosumer level. The recent reduction in the HPX170 price tells us that something is certainly coming by Fall.

If it has an HD SDI output, then one could use a nanoFlash with it to make up for the low-end codec. Too bad it doesn't have AVC-Intra 100 recording capability, Panasonic is obviously trying to keep the pricing down and leverage their prosumer technology. It seems that Panasonic is embracing CMOS going forward, which they were reluctant to do until the HPX300.

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video
Jeff Regan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 11:10 PM   #27
Inner Circle

I hope that CCDs do not go away entirely. Until they deal with skew I just can't go all CMOS. These imagers for pro video use are still a work in progress in my mind even though they have some real positives.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 02:55 AM   #28
Trustee

Quote:
Thanks Simon.
I should add that I haven't been told anything, and don't have any inside knowledge of anything. Just going on intuition.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition