Capturing footage problem, DRIVING ME CRAZY! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old June 22nd, 2010, 06:16 PM   #16
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knarr View Post
Gregory,
In Premiere, when you open the capture window, click on the settings tab.

Go down under Device Control and set the device to None and see if you can manually capture the video.

Also, do you have any other programs running in background like AntiVirus or other Utilities? If so turn them off and see if you can capture the video.

Did you reboot your computer after you installed the legacy driver?

David, Thanks for taking the time to try and help me. I really do appreciate it.

When I change the Device control to NONE, I then have no control over the controls (play, pause, etc) and even when I hit record on no device being selected and play the tape via my camera it still does not record any information.

Also; No to Antivirus, any background programs, etc...
Gregory Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 06:38 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Gregory,
Give me a minute I am trying something at my end. Hopefully I can reproduce the the problem.
David Knarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 06:58 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Okay,
I created the same problem here and this is how I fixed it.

In Premiere, I went to Project, the Project Setting, then Capture.
I set it for HDV and clicked Okay.

Next, I went into Edit, then Preferences, then Device Control. I set the Device to None and clicked Okay.

Then I went to File, then Capture. When the Capture window opened I went into Settings. Then down to the Device Control. Set it to DV/HDV. Then click the Options button right below and set the Device Brand to Generic and the Device Type to Alternate 1.

Click Okay and EXIT out of the Capture window. Then go back to File and Capture to re-open the window and make sure you camera is on and connected to the firewire port. When you go back into the Capture you should see a Red record button next to the stop button. Manually start the camera and see if you are getting video in the capture window. If you are, the press the red record button.

I had to look this up in a note book of problems I've run into and I wanted to setup a system here to re-create it. I did and it works for me. Let me know
Old June 22nd, 2010, 10:58 PM   #19
New Boot

Quote:
Okay,
I created the same problem here and this is how I fixed it.

In Premiere, I went to Project, the Project Setting, then Capture.
I set it for HDV and clicked Okay.

Next, I went into Edit, then Preferences, then Device Control. I set the Device to None and clicked Okay.

Then I went to File, then Capture. When the Capture window opened I went into Settings. Then down to the Device Control. Set it to DV/HDV. Then click the Options button right below and set the Device Brand to Generic and the Device Type to Alternate 1.

Click Okay and EXIT out of the Capture window. Then go back to File and Capture to re-open the window and make sure you camera is on and connected to the firewire port. When you go back into the Capture you should see a Red record button next to the stop button. Manually start the camera and see if you are getting video in the capture window. If you are, the press the red record button.

I had to look this up in a note book of problems I've run into and I wanted to setup a system here to re-create it. I did and it works for me. Let me know
I did all those steps above, and did get picture. However, when I pressed the red record button (although the camera did start to play the footage to be captured) the Capture duration above stayed at all 0's.

This is the case in most of the programs, I can see picture but can't actually save any of it. I really don't understand it.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 11:35 PM   #20
New Boot

Just another picture:

www.gregorymstevens.com/vegasprob.jpg

As you can see in Vegas, I get picture - the computer IS recognizing the camera, However - as soon as I decide to hit record, the meter stays at 0. Nothing is ever captured.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 08:09 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Let me make sure I am correct on this, you are manually pressing play on the video camera? You are not using the computer or Premiere to control the camera? And when you press the record button in Premiere it is not recording.

Have you tried a different firewire cable? Or a different firewire port on the computer? I know those are basic things to look at, but you never know.

I had a similar problem before with a camera once before and the steps I gave you is how I got it to work. Tell you what, click on the link for me below and when you get to my website click on contact us. Call the number and ask for me. Let's try somethings over the phone. I am in the office from 10am to 5pm EST.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 05:34 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Gregory,
Since you are have problems on both Premiere and Vegas, have you tried capturing on a different computer?

I am wondering if your Firewire port is the problem. I did some digging around on the Internet and a few other people have had the same problem you are describing and it turned out to be the Firewire port. By just dropping in a $30 to $40 Firewire card into the system and using the ports on the new Firewire card, everything worked fine.

Just an idea.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 07:43 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Just a thought...............

What happens if you feed the Component out into your HDTV/ Monitor and play the tape?

I'm wondering if this is a variant of the BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) bug that mysteriously appears at random then dissapears just as suddenly, and is always tape/ tape path related.

If the HDV video (you want to ingest) plays perfectly from your camera's Component out, then the tape and data are OK, which brings us right back to the Firewire port (s) OR cable (have you tried a new one?).

CS

PS: As an afterthought, it might be worth turning downconvert on in the camera and try ingesting in SD. If it will, it isn't a Firewire problem, so that can be eliminated.

Last edited by Chris Soucy; June 23rd, 2010 at 08:05 PM. Reason: +
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 08:20 PM   #24
New Boot

David, I didn't get a chance to call today. But thank you so much for the offer - you are truly going above and beyond...

Chris--
Sadly, I only have one firewire port on my PC. However, this is a brand new PC.

I don't think my issue is hardware related as my computer and camera seem to work fine, I just don't think they are able to talk to each other.

I was thinking maybe someone can get in touch with me on skype and physically control my pc via the internet. I have just about lost all faith.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 08:22 PM   #25
New Boot

Side note:

I have a hunch this may be related to my OS being 64bit. Maybe they make Canon XHA1 64bit support drivers? I do not see any.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 09:07 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Gregory
I don't think it is a 64 bit driver problem. I found a few posts on adobe.com forums where other people are having the exact same problem, even giving the same type of screen shot you have shown. The person there fixed it with a new firewire card with a different chip set. I've had good luck with firewire card that have the TI chip set.

If you get a chance, call me tomorrow. I have an extra firewire card that I could send up to you to see if that solves the problem. I will be in after 11am EST.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 09:17 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Perhaps.................

I expressed myself badly.

Have you determined, from either the camera LCD or by plugging the Component cable from the XH A1 into a HDTV, that there is, indeed, useable HDV data on the tape past the point where it stops (or fails to start) ingesting?

Have you attempted to downconvert the HDV to SD in camera and capture that SD stream?

Have you tried any other DV/ HDV camera into that laptop Firewire port?

As for not talking to each other, the camera is clearly being detected correctly, which wouldn't happen if the port was fried.

Have you tried ingesting the data on a system with a slightly less "bleeding edge" OS?

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 10:27 PM   #28
New Boot

Quote:
Gregory
I don't think it is a 64 bit driver problem. I found a few posts on adobe.com forums where other people are having the exact same problem, even giving the same type of screen shot you have shown. The person there fixed it with a new firewire card with a different chip set. I've had good luck with firewire card that have the TI chip set.

If you get a chance, call me tomorrow. I have an extra firewire card that I could send up to you to see if that solves the problem. I will be in after 11am EST.
Dude, you're insanely helpful. If I am able to get some free time tomorrow I will absolutely call. I really have a feeling it's not my firewire port because I've captured once before on this computer, for the life of me I can't remember how...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
I expressed myself badly.

Have you determined, from either the camera LCD or by plugging the Component cable from the XH A1 into a HDTV, that there is, indeed, useable HDV data on the tape past the point where it stops (or fails to start) ingesting?

Have you attempted to downconvert the HDV to SD in camera and capture that SD stream?

Have you tried any other DV/ HDV camera into that laptop Firewire port?

As for not talking to each other, the camera is clearly being detected correctly, which wouldn't happen if the port was fried.

Have you tried ingesting the data on a system with a slightly less "bleeding edge" OS?

CS
The tape does work fine when I stream it to my television.

Yes, I am able to capture in SD.

I do not have another HDV camera to test currently.

I agree, I don't think it's the port just some sort of setting. This is my editing computer - if I can't get it to work on this, I'm out 4 grand!
Old June 24th, 2010, 06:01 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Gregory,

Here are some links to the Adobe Forums where other people are having the same problem.

Adobe Tech Note
Can not start DV or HDV video capture in Premiere Pro CS4 or later
Cannot start DV or HDV video capture in Premiere Pro CS4 or later

Adobe Forums
Can't Capture HDV with Premiere Pro
Adobe Forums: Can't capture hdv with Premiere Pro

The first link is a very detailed Tech Note from Adobe on setting up capturing from a camera via firewire. Has different settings to try.

A question for you, are you on a Dell computer?

I ask because I have read about people having problems (slow data transfer rates) with external hard drives connected via the firewire port to certain Dell computers. The problem has been with the chipset/configuration of the firewire port. It will work pefectly with some devices but is flakely with others.

Another thing, don't have anything else connected to the firewire port when you try to capture. It could be another device in the firewire chain that is causing a conflict with the camera.

If you get a chance, give me a call.
Old June 24th, 2010, 01:55 PM   #30
New Boot

Quote:
Gregory,

Here are some links to the Adobe Forums where other people are having the same problem.

Adobe Tech Note
Can not start DV or HDV video capture in Premiere Pro CS4 or later
Cannot start DV or HDV video capture in Premiere Pro CS4 or later

Adobe Forums
Can't Capture HDV with Premiere Pro
Adobe Forums: Can't capture hdv with Premiere Pro

The first link is a very detailed Tech Note from Adobe on setting up capturing from a camera via firewire. Has different settings to try.

A question for you, are you on a Dell computer?

I ask because I have read about people having problems (slow data transfer rates) with external hard drives connected via the firewire port to certain Dell computers. The problem has been with the chipset/configuration of the firewire port. It will work pefectly with some devices but is flakely with others.

Another thing, don't have anything else connected to the firewire port when you try to capture. It could be another device in the firewire chain that is causing a conflict with the camera.

If you get a chance, give me a call.
Dave,

I actually do have a Dell (Uh-oh), I'm guessing this is a problem on their end huh? I just know this computer is infact capable of capturing HDV footage because I was able to get it once before. Maybe it's just a question of doing the right things in a very specific order.

I'm not able to call you today, I'm getting on a train in about 20 minutes to attend the NBA 2010 Draft (fun, wish I could bring my camera and film in HDV! lol) Anyway, is there a fix for the configuration with my firewire port (there is only one)?

Thanks again,

Greg
Gregory Stevens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition