Capturing footage problem, DRIVING ME CRAZY! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old June 24th, 2010, 06:58 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Hey Gregory,

First - I came across this tip for the Canon XH A1:

"Take the XH A1 out of auto mode to HDV mode (if that is what you shot in) with the Firewire cable unplugged. OR make sure the video camera is in the manual mode in HDV mode." Try both of these with the Firewire Cable UN-Plugged.

Since you said you captured video before with the computer and that video camera, the problem may end up being just the way the video camera is setup.

Second - The reason I asked if you have a Dell is a few other people on the Adobe.com forums have reported problems with capturing video with the Firewire port on Dell's. Here is one of the threads about it: Adobe Forums: Can't capture hdv with Premiere Pro
While the Firewire ports on Dells work fine with external hard drives, there are posts where people are having problems with capturing video with Sony, JVC and Canon video cameras on their Dells.

Are you sure you are using the Firewire Legacy driver version? Here is a link to an article that will walk you through checking and changing it. Fixing Firewire Problems in Windows 7

Other than that, I am really leaning towards a hardward problem since you are having the problem with both Vegas and Premiere. The hardware problem could be the video camera configuration as I listed above or a flakey Firewire cable or the Firewire port.

Feel free to call me on Friday.
David Knarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2010, 01:02 AM   #32
Major Player

There does seem to be a consensus that on board firewire may in some cases be causing problems with video capture on Win 7 64 bit. In my case turning off AHCI coincided with firewire capture working, I'm not saying definitely it was a causal, but I suppose it is possible that there could be some sort of conflict between AHCI and firewire capture in Win 7 or on some MBs, who knows? Since you can get a PCI firewire card for around $10, it would be worth trying (if it still doesn't work, at least you'll have a spare firewire port).
Rainer Listing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 11:35 PM   #33
New Boot

Resolution:

First of all, to everyone in this thread, especially you David Knarr, I want to thank you. I genuinely couldn't be more grateful to have access to a forum like this where people are so ready and willing to help you solve your video problems. Thank you.

As for me, I finally got it to work. Over the weekend I went to Bestbuy and picked up a 3-Port firewire card. (located here: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26...&skuId=6307445) Luckily a friend of mine works there and was able to get it for like $6. I got home, installed the card and viola! Problem fixed! ( for now :-/ ) For anyone out there who is having this problem with their Dell based system, I would suggest picking this card up.

Hope this helps anyone else struggling with this nuisance of a problem.

Thanks again guys, truly.
Gregory Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2010, 05:54 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Hey Gregory,

I'm glad to hear you got it working.
David Knarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2010, 11:45 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory Stevens View Post
Over the weekend I went to Bestbuy and picked up a 3-Port firewire card. (located here: Dynex™ - 4-Port USB 2.0 PCI Desktop Card - DX-UC104)
That's a 4-port USB card...
Chris McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2010, 12:04 AM   #36
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris McMahon View Post
That's a 4-port USB card...
My mistake, It is a 4 port.
Gregory Stevens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition