NX70U at NAB/first look at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old April 12th, 2011, 12:51 AM   #1
Major Player

NX70U at NAB/first look

Got my first look at this cam today and have to say overall its pretty nice. coming out this summer. BH says theyre getting them in July.
The LCD is very sharp, have to say im hard pressed to see the difference between it and the ex1r lcd. its very sharp. Viewfinder is to my eye better than the ex1's as well. you can definitely use the nx to focus through the vf.
the dial off the lens where you pick focus/iris/zoom is nice. the auto focus was pretty accurate as well.
oddly enough, when i was holding it, as small as it was, it was slightly front heavy. probably because of the mic and the bracket that mounted it on the cam. you can take it off and utilize both xlrs with other stuff.
should be a good seller.
zoom wasnt bad either, i could get a pretty good slow zoom on it.
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2011, 02:51 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: NX70U at NAB/first look

Thanks for the info. Did you have a chance to study any of the menu options and/or take any test clips on any card that you might have taken to the show?
Old April 12th, 2011, 06:17 AM   #3
Trustee

Jim,

Thanks for the feedback - great for those of us who can't get to NAB! Good news about the quality of the screen and the VF, and that it seemed to handle well.

How did the camera feel to you? Solid and well-made? That "Sony" feeling?

I'm getting very "wanty" for this camera... can't wait to see what the footage looks like.

Edit:

There's another thread for this here: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-...ust-proof.html

I've posted a link to the first Youtube review video there.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2011, 08:00 AM   #4
Inner Circle

The Sony NAB display has the camera in a fish tank with a stream of water running over it. It made me cringe.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2011, 08:10 AM   #5
Major Player

willl look at it more in depth today and post
Old April 12th, 2011, 09:08 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
The Sony NAB display has the camera in a fish tank with a stream of water running over it. It made me cringe.
That sounds like a very impressive, graphic demo of one of its key differentiators from the opposition....great marketing idea! Would love to see a pic or short clip of that somewhere!
Old April 12th, 2011, 09:53 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stamos View Post
willl look at it more in depth today and post
hehe... funny.
Old April 12th, 2011, 10:25 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
That sounds like a very impressive, graphic demo of one of its key differentiators from the opposition....great marketing idea! Would love to see a pic or short clip of that somewhere!
Andy, check out the German Youtube link I posted in the other thread, linked to above.

It is pretty cool!
Old April 12th, 2011, 10:37 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Got it, about 2 minutes into that video. Thanks Mike!
Old April 12th, 2011, 09:43 PM   #10
Major Player

Re: NX70U/follow up

following up on my previous post on the nx70, theyre saying mid july availability as did BH. checked the cam out at a different sony location where they point at the models. the vf and lcd are excellant. no doubt the vf is better than the one on the ex1r and is totally usable.
on the dial on the side of the lens where you can do either iris, focus or zoom, looks best to keep on iris and adjust that as you need to. you can still zoom in and hit the push focus button under that nob to get the focus set. the zoom choice is for using the ring as manual zoom, dont think this one will be used much in that you dont have that little bar sticking like you do on pro lens to do a fast manual zoom. in manual setttings this cam not letting me do much. it was a prototype. but you can set the gain manually to 0,3,6,9 and so forth, then you can use the manual iris to go up or down as you need it. the zoom did have that quick pull if you didnt control the rocker just right, but the sony guy told me that they would do an adjustment for that in the software, emphasizing the fact it was a incomplet cam being a prototype.
overall, i can see this as a great b cam or even a main cam depending on someones budget. you can remove the mic /xlr attachment and just go with the built in stereo mic, i would leave it on for my purposes. the lowlight was very clean as well. i shot in an area with very little light and i saw no grain. this one should sell very well. saw the MC50, its definitely smaller in every way. i see this cam losing ground big time to the 70.
i may get this before i get my ex1r/ex3, since i still cant decide. i know i want the 70. light, easy to hold, big lcd, excellant vf, (thank god for that), 60p at 28mb , 60i and 24p.
cant wait till july.
going back tomorrow if anyone has anything else they want to know, let me know before tomorrow morn and i will look into it.
Old April 12th, 2011, 10:23 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
Here you go...sorry about the camera shake
Attached Thumbnails
NX70U at NAB/first look-photo.jpg  
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2011, 01:41 AM   #12
Trustee

Jim, thanks very much for the feedback - it sounds very promising!

July or later is bad for my lack of patience... but good for my bank account. Looks like it's time to get saving.

Les - thanks for the photo. It makes me feel ill just looking at it!
Old April 13th, 2011, 02:08 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Yep, thanks everyone for passing on all this info from the floor at NAB.
Old April 13th, 2011, 02:13 AM   #14
Trustee

There's a few more seconds of footage of the demo here, in German: YouTube - NAB2011: Sony-Neuheiten Teil 2

Quite an eye-catcher. You have to hand it to Sony for doing something different in the "compact pro" range, it sets them apart from the Canon XF100, Panasonic HMC40 and JVC HM100.
Old April 13th, 2011, 07:11 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Oh, one more thing. In talking to the Rep at the Sony display, he said that the attachment for the XLRs does not comply with the dust/water protection standard.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition