New Video Camera Purchase Help - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old May 24th, 2011, 09:45 PM   #31
Trustee

Re: New Video Camera Purchase Help

The pd170 and XL2 are standard definition cameras (SD), they are not HD (720 or 1080). However, they are very able SD cameras. If I didn't have the budget to go higher, and I HAD to shoot, then I wouldn't hesitate to use the XL2.

If you're looking for HD (and you should), you must not invest in these systems. Up-converting might be possible. However, the time and money that it will take is more than what you would have to pay to own an HD camera. The Canon we talked about earlier is HD, and is a winner.

It took me two years of research to learn about and save for my first camera. Don't fall into the trap of going for the first camera that falls within your budget. Research about and zero in on the camera that you want, and then find a way to afford it.
Old May 25th, 2011, 01:32 AM   #32
Regular Crew

ok which canon is that you said? does that shoot to broadcast quality>
Marcus Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 06:54 AM   #33
Trustee

Canon XHA1....does not shoot BBC-required quality since it is HDV, but it's footage is good enough for music videos and feature films. However, like I mentioned earlier, try to find a used XHG1 instead. It's a better version and this one shoots full broadcast quality.
Old May 25th, 2011, 07:42 AM   #34
Trustee

if we're talking standard definition, why don't you take a look at DSR series 390 for example, or 500 if you need 16:9;
XL 2 is a good camcorder, but it's 1/3", today you can have true professional broadcast quality 2/3" camcorder for just a fraction of what it cost five years ago, and have amazing (DV) picture.
Old May 25th, 2011, 10:21 AM   #35
Trustee

Note if you get any SD NTSC video camera from the USA it will not be UK broadcast quality as it uses a totally different frame and video system!

HDV is generally not accepted to be broadcast quality in the Uk and most of the HDV camera's used by broadcasters in the past were being used in Dvcam SD mode.

Minimum spec and list for the latest BBC HD broadcast cameras can be found here:http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/commissio...HD_Cameras.pdf

If it ain't on that list that is also used as a benchmark for most broadcast in the UK then it isn't a broadcast quality HD camera and that is of now and it doesn't matter what was used in the past or done in bongo bongo land or by your student mate last year coz he says so in the pub.

You said broadcast quality so by it's definition in the UK that is the list for HD cameras that is most up to date!

As most TV is now heading for full HD by 2012 it would be silly to be buying old SD or HDV camera's as that is not how broadcast quality will be defined in the future.

Last edited by Gary Nattrass; May 25th, 2011 at 01:10 PM.
Gary Nattrass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition