New Video Camera Purchase Help - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old May 23rd, 2011, 02:21 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: New Video Camera Purchase Help

Got an Xl2 you can take off my hands
Rodney Compton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2011, 03:18 PM   #17
Regular Crew

how much are you wanting rodney? As ive currently seen one which is 18 months old, with an additional lens and battery and all accessories+micriophone unit boxed new for £820 on eBay.

Let me know though pal,also if youve got any youtube work youve done on the cam send it my way
Marcus Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2011, 03:38 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Hi mate let me know what yours includes and if you want to contact me my email address is mrsrecords@hotmail.com Thanks
Old May 23rd, 2011, 07:50 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I don't know what camera to recommend, but the idea that HDV is not broadcast quality is absurd.

Many, many national television shows are shot on HDV cameras. These are shows airing in HD.

It might not be what works for you, but don't believe that HDV isn't broadcast quality.
Tom Gresham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2011, 08:42 PM   #20
Trustee

Just to clarify Tom -

I know HDV is good enough for broadcast (I made a movie with it), but -

It is not an accepted acquisition format by BBC, Nat geo, etc. So don't shoot on HDV if you're planning to go that route. In some cases they do make exceptions, but that's for 'extraordinary' content.

You can check their websites for additional info.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 08:52 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Sareesh,

Thanks for the clarification.

Clearly, HDV is broadcast quality.

A few networks may have specs which eliminate HDV as an option.

I'm reminded of all the magazines which said 35mm wasn't good enough, and they insisted on at least 6x6 film format. Twas always thus.
Tom Gresham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2011, 09:01 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sareesh Sudhakaran View Post
The Canon XHA1 is definitely better than a 550D/GH2 without good glass or accessories. If you can afford it, go for it. Make sure it's in perfect condition though. Also, see if you can find a good deal for the XHG1. You can output uncompressed HD from it. The G1 will qualify as broadcast. The newer models are A1S and G1S...
<remainder snipped for brevity's sake>

Good advice, Sareesh, however, the individual who's looking for advice did specify a budget of £850 for a new camcorder.

Marcus,

While I don't live in the UK, I suspect you might be able to get something like a Panasonic TM900 which has manual focus, manual shutter, and other user-selectable controls that would get you closer to your goal of shooting better-quality video. A quick look at the Amazon UK site shows new TM900's available for £807.00.

The XHA1 that Sareesh suggests as an alternative, while a good choice even used, is going to go for at least $2300 in US or Canadian funds, or about £1400 - almost double your intended budget.

I have a Canon T2i, and while I think it shoots better video than the GH2, the GH2 has continuous autofocus. The T2i doesn't, and it's one feature I wish Canon had incorporated into the T2i/T3i series DSLR's. It does make things a lot easier and would probably permit me to use a DSLR to do event videography. Which would be a good thing for me, since a new camcorder is not affordable for me right now.

I've shot a little video with my T2i, and if lots of care is taken, and if I take my time, I can get really good results. Even so, it's not a very fluid solution for capturing video.

Personally, I'm not willing to drop $3 - 4K to be able to fully leverage my T2i's video capabilities. I'd rather put that kind of money into something like a Panasonic AG-HMC40 or even a HMC-150 or a Canon XA10 (with money left over to buy a good shotgun mic, Sony Vegas Pro editing software and put the rest toward a faster computer.)

If you're sold on the idea of using a DSLR to capture video, then I agree that saving up a little more than your current budget and then getting a GH2 is the way to go. Otherwise, I'd recommend the TM900 as a stop-gap measure and saving up for a dedicated camcorder with more controls and features.
Steve Struthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 01:41 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Well for £900 I can get a Canon X1 from the USA, thats what am thinking about doing.
Old May 24th, 2011, 01:58 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Hi Marcus

I actually used to have a pair of DVC20's which Panny made into the MD-H1 and for some unknown reason they decided in their wisdom to equip it with one tiny 1/4" chip...It would be dismal in low-light!!!

I went the HMC82 route and they are awesome cameras ..dunno what the UK cost is but I imported mine for around AUS$2500 You could also go with the HMC41/42/43...same thing in a smaller package but alas no XLR inputs.

I have always been tempted to go the GH2 route but if you do event video you will struggle!!! You get nice results but it's hard work...the autofocus (if made available on DSLR's) is worse than useless so for a decent result you need to go full manual. For weddings that's just too much work to do in too short a time for me so I stayed with the HMC's!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 02:46 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Hi guys,

Well am thinking to get a canon x1 from the USA or from eBay. But are these cameras broadcast quality in your opinion guys? Just no1s actually said that? Are they good cameras? Also do i need to check the drum etc on these for hours?

Also Ive heard of the panasonic tm900 but it doesnt look that different or amazing spec wisew from the panasonic sdhd700 i have now..which by the way has met broadcast quality needs already.

Also HDV in my opinion is junk... I had a Z1 and the video quality was worse than the panasonic sdhd700 i have now.
I mean to say the 'z1' is a broadcast quality camera, the footage i now have on my panasonic hdc-sd700 looks so much better. I heard tho that the z1 is only 14MP..The camera I have now is 14.2 which is why there maybe a difference.

The thing is TV Companies accept SD and HD now, and probabl 10 years ago HDV was the format but I think HD is the new in.
Old May 24th, 2011, 03:26 AM   #26
Trustee

Marcus,

What camera do you mean by "X1"? XH-A1 (HDV) or XL1 (the shoulder-mount DV cam)?

If buying from America, be careful with the frame rates. The camera will be 60i versus the UK's 50i, for example. This may be problematic.

Also, the XH-A1 may be HDV, but that doesn't necessarily make it broadcast quality.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 05:27 AM   #27
Regular Crew

I apologise I'm looking at the Canon XL2, I was told this was the camera that alot of films such as 28 Days and stuff were shot on. And apparently a friend told me it also was used to shoot some other TV Stuff. I'm looking to get it from the US or UK on eBay.
Would I need to look out for drum hours on this? Also what is this about US and UK problems? Just my friend told me you can change it or something (hes a pro video editor).

Let me know, also do you think this is a good camera? Or is just crap? Let me know honestly. Thanks
Old May 24th, 2011, 05:31 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Sorry guys when I've been yapping on about XA1 or whatever..I actually meant i'm really thinking ive made my mind up on getting the Canon XL2, as although the test footage on the net looks terrible Ive read excellent reviews, the spec seems sensible and although brand new they are £2000, you can get one second hand for around £900-1000.

I just want you guys opinions on if theyll be okay for video and music videos etc.
Old May 24th, 2011, 06:10 AM   #29
Trustee

Hi Marcus,

I have no direct experience, but I do believe the XL-2 to be a great camera, for its time. It is still just about the best of the bunch for DV, from what I can tell.

I would strongly recommend a UK model, you will run into problems with a NTSC, 60i camera instead of a PAL, 50i camera (unless your target is purely web video, or for US-based viewers). A search on DVinfo will reveal this has been talked about several times before.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 06:18 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Yeah,

Well you can grab them UK based for a not too bad price so am hoping I can. Thanks for telling me the problems with the US. Am I correct in assuming DV is not HD? Because I saw someone who did a film with the canon XL2 and it say they had 'upscaled' the video to HD720P?? Would I be able to do this?

Which do you think is better the Sony DSR-PD170 or the Canon XL2? I'm not sure which,..from what ive seen and heard, researched and Youtubed seems the XL2?

My primary function and use for the camera is too shoot short films for TV and also broadcast quality music videos.
Marcus Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition