New Video Camera Purchase Help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old May 20th, 2011, 03:43 PM   #1
Regular Crew

New Video Camera Purchase Help

Hi Guys,

I currently own the Panasonic SDHD700 which I love and picked up for a bargain. I also have a Maplins £150 HD Camcorder and then a Samsungs Digital SLR which is pretty impressive for its price again.

I'm now looking to get a tv broadcast quality camera to shoot music videos/commercials/films on.

I'm not sure wether to go for a SLR or a normal video camera, my budget is £850 and currently I was looking to get this camera- Panasonic HDC-MDH1 the Panasonic HDC-MDH1?? But do you guys know if its any good??

But I'm not sure if to look at a Canon, although many ppl have told me for video the accessories are expensive and they are for photography really not video editing-http://www.camerabox.co.uk/product.asp?ProductName=Canon-EOS-600D-18-135mm-IS-Lens-Kit-&ProductID=19434

Any feedback or suggestions on other cameras, I would prefer something that has that TV look yano and accessories aren't too expensive and with sensors (3MOS, 3CCD) etc etc for the price and obviously am looking for a good MP on the camera say 15MP minimum as the Panasonic SDHD700 which is cheaper is 14.2MP!! ..Let me know though guys..Thanks
Marcus Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2011, 10:42 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: New Video Camera Purchase Help

For 'DSLR', the older 550D or Panasonic GH2, if you can find a good deal. The disadvantages of the DSLR setup are that you still have to spend more on lens and a rig, etc.

There are no professional camcorders within your budget. Even a used JVC110U/111E goes for $2,500 basic setup.

My advice: rent cameras according to your needs until you have earned enough to buy pro gear.
Old May 21st, 2011, 03:55 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hey.

Thanks for the feedback. Well I've been looking around and the MDH1 seems have very bad reviews and I've decided not to go for it but I was just about to say I've looking at the canon 550D and it seems pretty good. I've seen a deal where for £770 you can 2 lenses with it, as im wanting it for music videos and films though do you think its ok for HD Recording? As I mean the test footage I've seen on the internet for it looks fantastic and I also read its 18MP resolution but then when I've spoken to professional videomakers at photography events theyve told me that no one uses canon for broadcast stuff or video as they're mainly photo cameras? Which is what put me of Canon along with like you said the accessorie cost.

I know you can get Sony Z1s for a little bit more than my budget but have heard they are broadcast quality and on eBay if you lookout you can get amazing deals on them so I dont know what the z1 is like, MP and sensor wise or if you'd recommend ut fir what I want to do..but anyfeedback wud help.]

Thank you
Old May 21st, 2011, 04:05 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi,

I've been looking and am unsure between the Panasonic GH2 as I currently own a 14.2 HD Movie Camera with Panasonic and between the Canon 550D, the canon test footage for HD footage seems to look better, but then Panasonic seems to have more features.

I'm also a newbie to lens etc. I've seen a site that is offering 2 lenses and the body for around £770 i think with £30 cashback..then the same site I bought my original cam for are offering it with one lens for £500..can you help me with any good deals on it? And lens advice for what I want to do?

Thanks
Old May 21st, 2011, 07:45 AM   #5
Major Player

the panny is a really nice little camera, and does shoot very nice video...there are a number of small stills-centric cameras that do an equally pleasing job.
The downside that I see with stills cameras/DSLR's and shooting video for commercial use is twofold; ergonomics and support.
Ergonomically, stills cameras are not comfortable to me for shooting any amount of serious video. the form factor doesn't lend itself to handheld work for extended periods of time, nor does the camera itself support extended continuous shooting.
From a support standpoint, the cost of the camera and lens is one element in the equation; to make the camera useful for a full day of shooting, you have to also factor in the cost of a rail/shoulder brace system, follow focus, Matte box and filters, etc. which make that sub $1000 package suddenly a $3-4000 package with compromises to achieve what exists natively with most video camera systems in terms of ergonomics and physical ease of use.
Much has been said about the cinematic quality of shallow DoF and DSLRS...to a point I agree with the potential improvement in the final product that it (shallow DoF) brings to the table.
Where I struggle with that is the fact that to get the stuff recorded, you've spent thousands of dollars adapting the stills camera with add-ons to achieve a system that ergonomically resembles a camcorder...the realist in me says why not just shoot with a camera designed with video as it's primary role in the first place?
Don't get me wrong; I have a couple of VERY capable stills cameras that shoot amazingly good video...but, I have a very nice video camera that does the same thing, and I can shoot comfortably for far longer with it than I can with either my DSLR or my Sony NEX. It seems to me that the reality of trying to shoot a commercial piece with a camera surrounded by a cage to which you've attached a half dozen fiddly bits is not only somewhat counter-intuitive, it's aggravating to manage
Wayne Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2011, 10:07 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wright View Post
as im wanting it for music videos and films though do you think its ok for HD Recording?
You can get very good results with the 550D. But you need good lenses and a rig to shoot video. If you buy just the camera and a couple of lenses, you'll be disappointed. This is why the GH2 is better - you can adapt older lenses on it (which are cheaper), plus it is optimized for video. The 550D also takes older Nikon or Leica glass, but the range is limited. For video, my suggestion is GH2.

Quote:
I know you can get Sony Z1s for a little bit more than my budget but have heard they are broadcast quality and on eBay if you lookout you can get amazing deals on them so I dont know what the z1 is like, MP and sensor wise or if you'd recommend ut fir what I want to do..but anyfeedback wud help
Don't buy the Z1. It's too dated and it records on HDV (not broadcast quality). A Z1 in good condition might be around $1,500. If you have to go the second hand route get cameras with interchangeable lenses, like the JVC 110U or a Canon.

It's not the camera, but the lighting and set design that gives high quality videos their production values.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 04:39 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Okay Thanks for that information.

So the Panasonic GH2, what is the MP resolution of the camera for HD Recording as its just that the Canon 550D Test footage on Youtube looks better for the same price, if you understand me. But obviously I won't have alot of money to spend on lenses etc. So if you know any good sites with deals for £1000 or under on the camera that would be great. I've also seen the Canon XHA1 available second hand from the USA for around £950. Althought this is out of my budget I could probably strecth to a £1000 or £950, the test footage for the canon looks amazing, but once again I cannot seem to find a spec for the MP (megapixel) recording on this although it claims it had 3CCD sensor. The other thing that has put me off the Canon is it's DV isn't it..

Opinions appreciated..thanks
Old May 22nd, 2011, 10:21 PM   #8
Trustee

The Canon XHA1 is definitely better than a 550D/GH2 without good glass or accessories. If you can afford it, go for it. Make sure it's in perfect condition though. Also, see if you can find a good deal for the XHG1. You can output uncompressed HD from it. The G1 will qualify as broadcast. The newer models are A1S and G1S.

The only downside to these cameras is that the widest lens range is 33mm (35mm equivalent). You might have to invest in a wide angle adapter. It can take 35mm adapters.

Forget about MPs. Video cameras don't talk in terms of megapixels. (Full HD is 2 MP). Bottom line is: go for a used pro video camera over a DSLR if you don't have the budget. A DSLR with lens is not ready enough to shoot video. It needs a lot of expensive accessories. Video cameras are ready-to-go.

I advise local pickup after inspecting it yourself. Spend an entire day with the camera before you take your decision. Even after you've made your decision, take a day to think it over. Look for:

1. Working ports. Connect everything to a laptop and make sure they work, especially the firewire port.
2. Fungus free lens - must be as clean as new. If not, and if you are comfortable with the levels of dust/fungus on it, it can be used as a bargaining chip to renegotiate the price down further. A word on fungus - most people shun this like the plague. A little bit doesn't really hurt in practical terms.
3. Working audio ports and controls. Tough to do without good equipment. But these don't work, you've just given away one of the huge advantages of owning a video camera over DSLRs.
4. Working zoom and lens functions.
5. Working LCD and viewfinder. Good color and brightness.
6. Batteries. How many batteries? How many hours of shooting. How many hours of charging? Typically you'd need 12 hours of battery power every day or 3 four-hour batteries. Two is bare minimum.
7. Form-factor - does it feel good in your arms? Can you shoot handheld for an hour without tiring?
8. If buying the A1 - check the tape mechanism. Record and playback functions should work. Tapes are still good!
9. Check the total drum hours (usage) through the menu system.
10. Shoot with gain, nd, etc. See if you like the images. The camera should have a full manual mode.

If you're buying from ebay, make sure you have at least a 7 day return period. All the best.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 03:20 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Sareesh my Indian brother thank you so much. I'm really going to research that now, however do you think the canon rebel t3i would be a good choice for me? I'm not sure you see. Also if i buy the camera second hand and the seller doesnt allow a test shot, should i not buy??

Finally whats a good drum use for a camera?
Old May 23rd, 2011, 03:30 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I cant find either camera for £1300 or less :( csn you?
Old May 23rd, 2011, 05:30 AM   #11
Trustee

The only thing the T3i/600D has that is worthwhile is a flip screen, but the price difference over the 550D is too great to justify its expense. If you really need the flip screen (and you do need it if you're shooting video), then a better camera might be the Nikon D5100! It's roughly the same price as the 550D, has a flip screen and is supposedly the same quality HD (as some claim) as the 550D/7D.

My advice is still to find a decent used video camera that shoots full HD (1080). You'll need to double your DSLR budget to bring it anywhere as decent to use as compared to the A1. I had a JVC 111E that I loved, and I sold it last month. I used it for a feature film, a short and a tv show. If you can't find a video camera, then buy the 550D or the GH2.

Camera prices have increased due to the lack of stock caused by the Tsunami. It might take months before things are back to normal. I just bought a 550D last week! But I didn't buy it for video.

Drum hours? The lesser the better. My JVC had a reading of 150 hours. That's like 7 days over a period of 3 years! Hardly ever used the thing. The best place to look would be the camera manual. It tells you how many hours before a full servicing is needed. If the camera you're buying is anywhere near that, don't buy it.

Don't buy if you can't inspect the camera, unless it's from keh, b&h, or adorama. I'm on the other side of the planet, so my knowledge of resources in the UK is next to nothing. Why don't you post a want to buy ad in the classifieds section here?
Old May 23rd, 2011, 06:31 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Thanks brother.

Yeah Im really unsure as I just dont have alot of money and want to make sure I get something good for what I want to use it for. Can I ask does the Canon 550D and Canon 600D or Rebel T3I have autofocus on HD recording? Someone who had a Canon 7D told me I think you cant do manual or auto focus on HD Recording on those cameras? Is that correct?

Im going to have a look at the nikon too and I have looked for the a1 but the test footage on youtube looks disapoointing plus I cant find a decent used a1 camcorder cheap or near my price range.

And yes I may post a advert here thats an idea

Thanks
Old May 23rd, 2011, 07:42 AM   #13
Trustee

Autofocus on video is not worth using, and is unreliable for important work. This includes autofocus on DSLRs. You have to use manual focus, but then you'll have to invest in a follow focus mechanism - which is not cheap.

Last edited by Sareesh Sudhakaran; May 23rd, 2011 at 07:48 AM. Reason: typo
Sareesh Sudhakaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2011, 07:57 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Okay friend. What is your opinion of the Canon XL2? Is it good?
Old May 23rd, 2011, 09:18 AM   #15
Trustee

28 Days was shot on it...it is a DV camera but worth its weight in gold. If you're looking at DV, then the DVX100 is another great camera.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition