HDV to Betacam SP decks question ... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old August 23rd, 2005, 10:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HDV to Betacam SP decks question ...

Anyone done this before ?

I'm trying to find out if I can get the Sony HDV deck to generate sync-ed timecodes to a Betacam SP deck when doing a dub.

Cheers.
Old September 7th, 2005, 06:18 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Wong
Anyone done this before ?

I'm trying to find out if I can get the Sony HDV deck to generate sync-ed timecodes to a Betacam SP deck when doing a dub.

Cheers.
you can find on the net simple lanc-rs422 (9pin-sony protocol) converter by addenda. it converts signal from lanc to remote, and systems like old avids can read that. i tried this with avid and it works, but unfortunatelly not for me, since i am in PAL country, and all lanc-rs422 converters i tried were for NTSC.
check addenda (about 80-90$) or TAO converter. (you can find price somewhere on the net - i do not have a link now) TAOs are more expencive ones.
if you want to copy hdv directly to beta with the original TC, then you can use either new convergent design converter for that (they have two devices for that) but both are expencive (at least in my opinion- aprox 1900$)

http://www.convergent-design.com/

or miranda hdv converter (dont know about the price)

or - cheaper way - to find (buy) horita converter (approx 250$) wich can transcode/extract TC embeded in rs422 signals to LTC timecode which you can connect to beta as external timecode.

but, then you will anyhow need that first mentioned converter from lanc to rs422.
if this is not clear - i can explain it in step-by-step manner.

thanks,

filip
Old September 7th, 2005, 09:34 PM   #3
Regular Crew

wow.
Thanks.

Appreciate if you could enlighten me step by step. Thank you !
Old September 8th, 2005, 10:27 AM   #4
Major Player

from hdv to beta with identical timecode

attention: this procedure was tested just with Z1 HDV camera and HDV player/recorder by sony.

1.find (buy) TAO lanc to rs 422 converter or addenda converter with same possibility (lanc-rs422) addenda approx. 80-90$ or cheaper on ebay, TAO approx 200$ (i'm not sure)

2. buy horita (http://www.horita.com/) translator (on their site was for 399$, but i bought mine for 117$ on ebay - (RLT-50 RS-422 to LTC Time Code Translator)

3. connect and plug LANC converter on back of your hdv player/recorder or on side of your camera via LANC (blue ring) plug. other side is rs 422 connector - 9 pin.

4. check your 9 pin cable - if nessesary find also 9 pin gendre changer (1$).

5. connect that rs422 side via 9 pin cable to horita translator. (note that you should use pinout entitled "remote"). Plug on horita translator :)

6. connect your LTC (timecode) output on horita with beta sp with BNC 75ohm cable (ltc OUT --> timecode IN on beta)

7. switch your beta to EXT timecode. Switch beta to ON :)

8. connect Y-U-V (component) output connector on HDV unit with beta sp component input. (you may need 3 small converters from RCA/chinch to BNC 0.2$ ea.). Swich display on your HDV unit that you can see TimeCode onscreen.

9. start (you must FIRST START HDV unit) HDV unit, THEN start REC on beta. wait until tape runs! you may notice also in a few whiles that tc is not correct, but after a short while it will jump to correct one. you must work in ASSEMBLE mode on beta.

10. check TIMECODE again on all displays - if correct ok. if not... hm, check cables first.

"schematics"

hdv-->lanc-rs422-->horita-ltc-->TC in on beta

hdv-->component out-->component IN on beta

hope this helps,

filip

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition