Expodisc and WB - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old January 14th, 2012, 07:36 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Expodisc and WB

I shoot with a CX700v, and setting the 'exposure' manually as described above is definitely the way to go. One location I shoot at frequently has soda machines in the background, so locking down exposure is a must to keep the action from going dark. Manual WB is also essential if the light source is different from the rest of the room.

The exposure setting is a bit of a mystery. I assume it biases towards 1/60th shutter and mostly adjusts gain and shutter, but have no way to tell for sure. It will adjust to keep exposure constant as you zoom, so that's no problem. Only annoying thing is the trick spot focus option (don't know if your camera has that), where you can pick the subject to keep in focus, doesn't work unless the camera is on full auto. Otherwise it might help you.

I routinely use 60p and it's great. I have occasional focus problems, but probably no more than once an hour, with somewhat similar subject material. Try to keep other high contrast objects in the foreground/background out of frame, or at least don't stop a pan with them still in frame. That's probably what is briefly grabbing the camera's attention. I would expect shooting down from the bleachers and having the high contrast stripes on the floor would work well for the auto focus, but a person in the background with a "go wildcats" sign could distract the logic if you stop a pan with it near center frame. At least that's what I try to do, and it seems to help. Looking at your frame grabs, the red shirt #44 might suck the focus to the foreground. And remember that you have more depth of field with less zoom, so you're more likely to have focus problems on tighter shots.

Terence
Terence Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 08:50 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Here are some stills from a night and day game, overall a huge improvement. The gym has skylights so the day game lighting is much better than the night game. When in the center of the court the light from the sign will always be an issue but the action on both ends of the court is much better. Still having little issues with focus searching but I believe the lighting is just so bad the camera is having issues finding something lock onto.

The first 3 stills are from the night game and the next 3 from the morning game.
Attached Thumbnails
Expodisc and WB-vlcsnap-2012-01-15-08h45m49s237-medium-.png   Expodisc and WB-vlcsnap-2012-01-15-08h46m14s227-medium-.png  

Expodisc and WB-vlcsnap-2012-01-15-08h46m21s36-medium-.png   Expodisc and WB-vlcsnap-2012-01-15-08h38m21s114-medium-.png  

Expodisc and WB-vlcsnap-2012-01-15-08h38m28s184-medium-.png   Expodisc and WB-vlcsnap-2012-01-15-08h38m08s234-medium-.png  

Richard Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 03:40 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Even for low indoor gym lighting, everything should be on manual : WB, aperture/iris, shutter speed . Since the gym is lighted fairly evenly except for the glare, you don't want your exposure changing when clusters of light-colored uniforms enter and exit the frame.

At your distance, focus should also be on manual.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition