Go HD or stick with SD? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old February 21st, 2012, 07:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Go HD or stick with SD?

The title is a disguise for another "which cam" thread :-)

Briefly, I have an XM2 (PAL version of GL2) which is a great camera (although not used for a long time... just getting back into video), but I would like to come into the HD age. My budget is limited, I've done a lot of research and am now asking what you would do….

There is a local store selling the Canon HF S200 for $499 (ex Demo).

A Big Box store has just put the Panasonic 900K (the flash version) on sale for $699.

A store a bit further away has a Canon HF G10 for $1,499 (no discounts here yet, I'm afraid) but have offered me what I believe to be a fair price for my XM2 as trade-in.

I will mainly be using the camera for "Home Video" as the kids finish off growing up. I will be doing the odd "art experiment"…. I particularly enjoy taking favourite music and putting video to it.

Low light capability is important to me… shots will be "off the cuff" with no time for setting up proper lighting etc.

Another option is not to go HD, and just carry on with the XM2 in widescreen mode. But from what I've seen on Youtube and Vimeo, as good as the XM2 is, HD is in a different league.

Any and all thoughts welcomed.

Thanks.
Geoff Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 07:21 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Go HD or stick with SD?

out of three mentioned camcorders, I used to own all of them, HF G10 has better low light, and not just low light, better everything, hence the price,
and if you debating to go HD or not, your kids will appreciate if you will, when they watch those videos like 20 years from now :)
best
Old February 22nd, 2012, 09:39 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: Go HD or stick with SD?

Many thanks for the reply, Buba.

It's sad to retire the XM2 (I see Canon still sell them!) but I've been offered $400 trade-in, which I think is fair.

I've read nothing but good about the HFG10 and think I will take your advice and put my hands deeper into my pocket!

Good point about watching later on, too!
Geoff Holland is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition