Editing USB, Nikon, Flip, etc. Point & shoot video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old February 22nd, 2012, 01:04 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Editing USB, Nikon, Flip, etc. Point & shoot video

Recently got stuck editing music video footage from point-n-shoots and usb pocket cameras in Premiere Pro CS5. They looked great, but editing them was a pain in the butt. Playback was terrible, even with CUDA acceleration enabled. Wound up transcoding them to Sony XD-Cam EX. No more stuttering, erratic timeline scrubbing or blackouts.

Videos from a Nikon s8100 p-n-s took about 4 minutes to transcode for every 1 min (using a Early 2008 MBP) and Kodak PlayTouch videos took about 2 minutes per one.

Every camera seems to record in different formats and different flavors of each. :-(

After the nightmare I had trying to edit natively (yes, it can be done--doesn't mean you should, tho) I'm SO glad I took the extra time to transcode. Editing and multi-cam were a breeze afterward.

Also: if you're syncing with a CD music track, have Audacity resample it to 48 from 44.1. It'll keep time better and the scratch tracks on the cameras will sync up easier.
Ted Bragg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition