Moire when HD is broadcast in SD? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old December 15th, 2012, 02:57 PM   #1
Major Player

Moire when HD is broadcast in SD?

Hi Techies

Before the DSLRs came into my world I never notes moire, I probably just didn't care to look for it...
But lately I've seen moire in more or less every Program and film I watch on TV. In some shows more then other, but I would say that it is not from a DSLR... This is from all types of cameras! Fine fabric, dresses with dot patterns, walls, all this things that was "no no" whit DSLRs. But way do I se this in every show?
Is it a phenomenon that can happened when a HD program is compressed and down converted to SD?

Last edited by Markus Nord; December 16th, 2012 at 12:28 AM.
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2012, 03:24 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Moire when HD is broadcast in SD?

That is pretty common if you do a straight down-convert without the proper softening of the HD image first.
Old December 18th, 2012, 11:47 PM   #3
Trustee

Re: Moire when HD is broadcast in SD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Nord View Post
Hi Techies
This is from all types of cameras! Fine fabric, dresses with dot patterns, walls, all this things that was "no no" whit DSLRs. But way do I se this in every show?
Is it a phenomenon that can happened when a HD program is compressed and down converted to SD?
It's not the camera, it's the down conversion to your display. It could also be just the display, and not the signal. It happens when the display can't resolve data, something like a camera sensor in reverse!

It also happens to your eyes. Try looking at a test chart up close and you'll see.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition