DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/)
-   -   Are there any compact cameras recording like a good videocamera? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720-1080-acquisition/515939-there-any-compact-cameras-recording-like-good-videocamera.html)

Adriano Moroni April 24th, 2013 01:57 PM

Re: Are there any compact cameras recording like a good videocamera?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst (Post 1792336)
I may be able to do some test footage of the RX100 vs. the HX300 in a few days. I would expect there to be at a minimum differences in DoF and low light sensitivity, and I would expect manual control to be more limited on an HX camera.

I have viewed some shots on the net of SONY HX300 and I like them very much. I think is hard to find a camera better than SONY HX300. I wil be very very happy to view some comparison shots of SONY HX300 and RX100.
Thanks in advance.

PS: Is there one battery type? That is 1240mAh only?

Ron Evans April 24th, 2013 04:14 PM

I think the HX50 and the HX300 are fundamentally the same with the larger zoom lens assembly on the HX300 and missing a few features like GPS etc from the HX50. HX300 has the advantage of being able to attach filters but lacks GPS, the new Mi hot shoe, WiFi connection and will not fit in your pocket !!! Having looked on Youtube there are lots on both the HX300 and HX30 nothing on the HX50 yet. I expect video quality will be about the same for them since the sensor and processor will be the same. So I think the choice will be convenience of putting the camera in your pocket, GPS, WiFi etc or having a 50x zoom and looking like a DSLR. There is only $50 difference so price will not be the deciding factor.

Ron Evans

Adriano Moroni April 24th, 2013 05:00 PM

Why don't you take into account the point that a better circuit might be in a larger camera than in a very small camera This one could result in a better outcome, that is better video.

Bruce Dempsey April 24th, 2013 06:07 PM

I've tried the 1 inch sensor for video of fast sports and even with good lighting focus is a big problem for big sensors
If you have the luxury of retakes or your scene remains fairly static then a sensor the size of the one in the RX100 will do. However video of fast moving objects especially people requires large depth of field such as that provided by sensors under 1/2" (so that the camera focus is usually in the ball park focal length wise so hunting gets a head start
My hx300 arrives from Hong Kong tomorrow or Friday and I haven't been this excited since... (I can't remember when)
I'm thinking this might be like the day they introduced the cx 550v only better

Ron Evans April 24th, 2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adriano Moroni (Post 1792380)
Why don't you take into account the point that a better circuit might be in a larger camera than in a very small camera This one could result in a better outcome, that is better video.

I think the price difference between the HX300 and the HX30 is in the size of the body /lens balanced off with the removal of the GPS etc that the HX30 has. Typical Sony, I am sure the internals are the same. Different market, different product form factor. Same Bionz processor, same sensor, same codec, different feature set. At the same focal length I expect it will be very difficult to tell them apart for still or video.

To get a real difference in image quality one would expect to pay more than twice as much, not just $50. The $50 implies the same thing in a different package.

Ron Evans

Adriano Moroni April 24th, 2013 06:29 PM

I am feeling very attracted by Lumix GF6 too. I like tilting display a lot. I think it is very useful. What is your opinion about tilting display? Do you think Lumix GF6 is a good camera like HX50?

Bruce Dempsey April 24th, 2013 06:32 PM

tilting display is very important for video

Ron Evans April 24th, 2013 06:35 PM

GF6 is only 30P max. No smooth motion and have to buy lenses.

Ron Evans

Ron Evans April 24th, 2013 06:41 PM

Adriano, have you considered a real video camera like the new Canon XA20 plus a HX50 or a Panasonic equivalent for your pocket. None of the still cameras will compare to the Canon for video quality I am sure and when your are out for the evening you can have the small camera in your pocket.

Ron Evans

Adriano Moroni April 24th, 2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Evans (Post 1792390)
Adriano, have you considered a real video camera like the new Canon XA20 plus a HX50 or a Panasonic equivalent for your pocket. None of the still cameras will compare to the Canon for video quality I am sure and when your are out for the evening you can have the small camera in your pocket.

I already have a Sony NX5 big like Canon XA20. ;)

Ron Evans April 24th, 2013 08:19 PM

I too have a NX5U and can assure you that my HX30 produces a cleaner sharp image than the NX5. The HX50 should be even better. The HX30 is not as versatile as the NX5 but is a much better point and shoot camera and I can get it in my pocket !!! I am expecting the Canon XA20/25 to greatly outperform the NX5U which is why I mentioned it. If you are looking for something different to the NX5U one of the large sensor models may be the option but not for a big zoom unless you want to carry around a very big lens.

Ron Evans

Dave Blackhurst April 25th, 2013 03:13 AM

I think what Ron is getting at is that it's rather hard to get one "perfect" camera - there are places where a smaller "real" video camera with deep DoF is the better tool. A CX/PJ7xx series camera is still fairly compact, Panasonic and Canon have similarly capable small cams. Other times you may want a more "cinematic" look, where a larger sensor is desirable.

Pocketability is a rather handy feature, as it means you'll be more likely to have the camera WITH you rather than sitting back with your luggage or at home or whatever - even if the image quality is a bit less, you've got the capture, not "the one that got away".

There are physics of lenses and sensor size that you simply can't overcome, but of course the tech still gets better, and "pocket" size P&S cameras are getting better - IMO they aren't going to give you the image quality of a dedicated video camera OR a bigger SLR/SLT, but they may be quite acceptable for most people's expectations.

And here's the other thing Ron is hinting at - a "pro" camera that's 3-5 years "old" is probably NOT going to be as good as "this years models" (perhaps including P&S and cell phones!) in many respects - sometimes the improvements are small and incremental year over year, but if you have several years between release dates, there should be noticeable differences! Engineers don't sit around...

Sony usually has very predictable patterns of camera releases, typically "reusing" a sensor through most of the years "lines" - but there can be minor differences in performance because of the overall design, or how a particular cameras firmware was "tweaked".

I'm interested to see how the HX300 performs, as I've always liked the top of the HX series handling wise, the smaller HX's didn't "hit" me, and I unfortunately see the flaws that come with a small sensor. The RX100 is the first time the stills quality caught my attention, and the fact it's "pocketable" is a plus.

The RX100, HX300, and the HX50 all use a "new" Sony NP-BX1 battery, so far the battery life seems to be quite good with OEM batteries, there are 3rd party batteries available, but Sony often tweaks the cameras to prevent thier use, I'd stay with known genuine ones...

Adriano Moroni April 25th, 2013 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Evans (Post 1792401)
I too have a NX5U and can assure you that my HX30 produces a cleaner sharp image than the NX5. The HX50 should be even better.

It seems incredible to listen different answers. This is a reply on another forum:
"The dynamic of a reflex is definitely a plus by the bigger size of the sensor but the sharpness, aliasing and effect moire are worse, it is due to the
decimation (it produces above all reduction in sharpness). A cheap consumer camcorder wins surely. I'm using both".
Can I ask you a question please?
If you will rec a video by Sony HX50 or RX100, will you get a good image quality viewing it by a 48" flat TV?
I thank you.

Ron Evans April 25th, 2013 07:37 AM

On a normal consumer 48" TV you may see very little difference in noise level or sharpness. Both have the same apparent resolution but the RX100 pixels will be 4 times as big which should give a noticeable difference in low light performance. Depth of field will be much less on the RX100 because of the sensor size so if you need that performance it would be the choice. If you need everything in focus from just in front of the lens to infinity most of the time then the smaller sensor size of the HX50 would be the choice.

There is a reason people have more than one camera. What do you want this camera to do as you cannot get a camera that does everything well. I have a GoPro to clip to my helmet when skiing, HX30V in my pocket to take shots when I stop skiing, CX700 or NX30 for family events left in full auto with face detection ON, NX5U plus the other small Sony's for shooting events all on tripods. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. As far as technology improving with time it is the NX5U that is now showing its age compared to the CX700 and the NX30. The NX5U is not as sharp and a lot noisier than the new small Sony's including the HX30. In good light when I can set the NX5U at -3 db gain it produces a lovely image with nice colour depth compared to the others. It has all the controls I desire. Unfortunately it is very critical to focus when the light goes down and I have gain at 6db from this point on down the small Sony's are far better in almost all respects. When the NX5U has to go to 9db or 12 db the picture becomes muddy and full of noise but the small Sony's give a lovely picture even with over 20db of gain and practically see in the dark. Is this picture a wonderful professional broadcast image... NO but it is perfectly acceptable and certainly better than the NX5U. Until I got the NX30 the NX5U had the advantage of LPCM audio rather than Dolby. I still like the NX5U as my main camera for events as I have control. However I often fall back to the image from one of the small Sony's in editing that produces a cleaner sharp image at that particular point.

Ron Evans

Adriano Moroni April 25th, 2013 01:04 PM

Ron Evans,
your post is very interesting but what I like to know is another thing too because I don't understand fine:
if I make some shots in full sunlight and in wide angle with Sony HX50, RX100 and with NX5U, which of then make better image quality? As photo cameras suffer of decimation, that is above all reduction in sharpness, can the image quality of NX5U be better than photo cameras in full sunlight?
It is a question that I like to know its answer.

Mark Rosenzweig April 25th, 2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adriano Moroni (Post 1792527)
Ron Evans,
your post is very interesting but what I like to know is another thing too because I don't understand fine:
if I make some shots in full sunlight and in wide angle with Sony HX50, RX100 and with NX5U, which of then make better image quality? As photo cameras suffer of decimation, that is above all reduction in sharpness, can the image quality of NX5U be better than photo cameras in full sunlight?

The answers to your questions are in the videos. Here are three all done in sunlight from a pocket, compact camera (Panasonic ZS30/TZ40) shooting at 108060p. You can *download* all three (the originals from the camera) and view them on anything you like and compare to what you can see from other cameras. That is the answer, not what someone claims he or she saw or thinks they know in theory:

Unsharp? Filled with artifacts? Too noisy?

Ron Evans April 25th, 2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adriano Moroni (Post 1792527)
Ron Evans,

I do not have a HX50 or RX100 but Mark has given you the opportunity to download the raw files for the videos from his ZS30( TZ40) which should be similar to either my HX30 or the newer HX50. All have higher resolution than the NX5U but the advantage the NX5U has is that picture profiles can be altered to take full advantage of the situation like changing knee or gamma curves for the situation. If the NX5U camera person does not take advantage of picture profiles then almost any of the newer cameras will outperform the NX5U in default mode including lots of the time these small point and shoot cameras. Moire is the issue you have heard about caused by high resolution cameras when shooting fine lines in the image. Happens to even very expensive pro video cameras and happens no less in my NX5U then any of the other cameras I have like the NX30 or HX30V.

If your comparisons are to the NX5U then you are comparing technology of several years ago. The core of the NX5U was the last models of HDV tape cameras Sony made and the NX5U was the first AVCHD version move away from tape. I would not be surprised to find the basic NX5U technology was 7 or 8 years old which then is no surprise that this years $500 cameras are more than a match on picture quality.

I think you have to decide if you want a camera to put in your pocket that works really well ( there are lots of choices from Sony, Panasonic and Canon ) or lots of control, like picture profiles etc of a much larger camera like the NX5U ( more modern versions would be the JVC 600 series, Panasonic AC160/130 or the Canon XF series ) Intermediate video cameras like the NX30/PJ650 or 680 from Sony, the XA10./G20 from Canon etc will be smaller than the big cameras and have some of the prosumer features of the larger cameras. In this I think the new Canon XA20/25 or the HF-G30 Canons are worth a look.

Ron Evans

Dave Blackhurst April 25th, 2013 06:24 PM

In good lighting, you'll be hard pressed to see any major differences, that's been true for a while now. You MAY see DoF differences from larger sensors (keeping in mind we are talking 3x1/3" IIRC with the NX5, approx 1/4" in the HX50/300, and approx 1" in the RX100...), but this is somewhat dependent on what f stop you're shooting at of course.

I think your "source" was referring to the naturally more shallow DoF of a APS-C sized sensor of your typical SLR/SLT, and the well known issues with aliasing and moire that go with the territory. It's all well discussed in other forum areas here. SOMETIMES you want the shallow DoF, and I don't mind shooting with an Alpha series "full size" SLT camera at all, the pictures are stunning to my eye, and the video is plenty sharp on the A65/A77. Will there be some "issues"? Yes, with ANY camera there are limitations... know how to use the tools for what they do best. Lugging a big hammer everywhere does get old though, unless you're being paid for the higher image quality!

I've fiddled with shooting "dual mode" P&S cams for a while, and generally haven't felt they were quite as good as a dedicated video camera - they were designed for stills... conversely, the still functions of the average video camera leave me unimpressed - emergency use only, IMO, but...

Some of the most recent crop of P&S cameras are starting to keep up quite well with far more expensive "video cameras" - I've been intercutting stuff from a TX100 (retired model, sometimes available for very cheap, so I should say "several" TX100's!!) with a 7 series handycam - when used within its strengths, 1080/60P video it produces looks just fine. The aforementioned Alphas also will intercut, and add a bit of that cinematic vibe.

The RX100 is in all honesty a beast I'm still learning to tame - it's SO user tweakable, I'm catching myself experimenting with all the things it potentially can do - and I do like the still image quality quite a lot, something I'm not so sure about with the small sensor compacts... Video quality seems closer to a big SLT, and I'm still fiddling with what it can do - practically everything can be adjusted, for better or worse!

I thought I'd pass along a "first impression" (literally just opened the box) on the HX300 - I tried to get the objectionable smeary still image issues that I saw with the 200 and the 100 to a lesser degree - so far the images look pretty solid, I'm more impressed with the 20Mp sensor than with the 18Mp. Finally having a threaded lens so I can put a polarizer or ND on the beast is a huge plus. The 300 is a bit big (comparing to prior HX's), but the 50x zoom (plus clear zoom and/or digital on top of it!) is quite good, stabilization looks to be greatly improved. So far I'm impressed, and at least not finding things to "not like". Bodes well for the HX50, and that smaller package certainly offers some advantages!

Dave Blackhurst April 25th, 2013 06:42 PM

I see Ron and I were reading each other's minds again...

Lets try to do some narrowing down....are stills and still quality of importance? How much of your shooting will involve really BAD low light conditions (where you can use a small LED light to augment)? Realistically, how much manual control do you feel you want/need, or can you run with auto if the auto functions are pretty good (the EV adjusting dial on the HX's might be all you'll ever really "need")? How portable do you want/need the total kit to be? How important is ambient audio? What sort of lens range do you anticipate wanting/needing?

Honestly, it's VERY possible to have a tiny but usable "kit" nowadays, with quality that is not going to be seen as "bad" or even marginal in most shooting situations. And you don't have to spend too much to do it! I think it bears mentioning that this is one of those times when the percentage gains in image quality vs. the additional cost expended might be rather shocking!

And FWIW, you could probably have an RX100 and an HX, with the "common" batteries and cables so they can share support kit, still end up with a small camera bag, and have a little versatility at your fingertips... all for less than a high end Handycam or comparable.

Ron Evans April 25th, 2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst (Post 1792571)
..(keeping in mind we are talking 3x1/3" IIRC with the NX5, approx 1/4" in the HX50/300, and approx 1" in the RX100...), ..

Dave is underselling the HX300 and HX50 a little the imager is 1/2.3" or just a little smaller than 1/2" so is about 1/4 the area of the RX100. Larger than the 1/2.88 in the camcorder range that also have less pixels hence slightly better low light performance of the true camcorders that do not have to target high resolution stills as well as video. So with the same number of pixels the RX100 pixels are 4 times bigger than the HX300 or HX50 so low light performance will of courses be a lot better. The Panasonic ZS30 has the same 1/2.3" size imager with 19MP. So all these newer model have similar specs for the same target market price points. Comes down to the company you like and the feel in your hand or a particular feature that is appealing.

Ron Evans

Adriano Moroni April 26th, 2013 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Rosenzweig (Post 1792531)
The answers to your questions are in the videos. Here are three all done in sunlight from a pocket, compact camera (Panasonic ZS30/TZ40) shooting at 108060p. You can *download* all three (the originals from the camera) and view them on anything you like and compare to what you can see from other cameras. That is the answer, not what someone claims he or she saw or thinks they know in theory:
Unsharp? Filled with artifacts? Too noisy?

I have viewed those clips attentively by a flat Sony 48". All they look fine. I have noticed the camera works better with cloudy weather, when there is sun the image is weak and the face of the persons are overexpose.
But in general I like those clips, they are sharp, full of details and with good colours. You cannot expect more from a $400-$500 camera.
I thank you.

Ron Evans April 26th, 2013 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adriano Moroni (Post 1792623)
I have viewed those clips attentively by a flat Sony 48". All they look fine. I have noticed the camera works better with cloudy weather, when there is sun the image is weak and the face of the persons are overexpose.
But in general I like those clips, they are sharp, full of details and with good colours. You cannot expect more from a $400-$500 camera.
I thank you.

Just like the little camcorders these small cameras use a general exposure mode most of the time but can be persuaded to expose differently. If face detection is on and identifies a face it will focus and expose for that face ( focus , exposure and WB for the face) so can compensate a little for the overexposure at times. They have various shooting modes that can be selected or left in iAuto mode to let the camera decide. I think the Panasonic is much like the Sony in that it will lock on to up to 8 faces and manage focus and exposure to maximize the picture. The closer the camera to the people the better the control of course. It will of course not bring down the exposure to cause too much effect on the rest of the image. That is the value of a large camera like the NX5U where the knee can be changed in picture profiles to roll off the highlights, great for a set up shot but useless for point and shoot where the little cameras easily perform better.

In still mode the cameras even have a mode to emulate the shallow depth of field of a DSLR !!! The more I use the little cameras and camcorders the more of a fan I become. Still have the NX5U for the main camera for multicam shoots though where it does have an advantage.

Ron Evans

Dave Blackhurst April 26th, 2013 04:47 PM

I always get mixed up by those stupid fractional sensor sizes! The long and short of it is, we're mostly speaking of "small sensor" cameras...

Along the lines of what Ron is saying is that the HX50 and the HX300 (as well as earlier 100 &200) have an EV adjusting wheel right by your thumb - hit it (on the 300), give it a spin and you can dial in the exposure adjustment on the fly - it's often all you'll need, as most long time shooters know the Sony "auto" can tend to overexpose a bit. I used that dial to shoot some shots of the full moon last night, -1.7 to 2.0 worked nicely! It's not "full manual", but can do the trick oftentimes to dial in a more useful exposure, and it works in movie mode while recording!

As Ron also notes, there are some "fun" picture modes in the consumer cameras, including a DoF emulation, and I've been playing with the "illustration" mode... There's a lot to like about some of the current lot of cameras, if you like takng pictures or video and are creative - you don't need a "big camera" to get usable quality. I find that a nice "small" kit tends to be easier to take along, so you end up with more shooting opportunities

Adriano Moroni April 28th, 2013 04:25 AM

I'm quivering with excitement for the Sony HX50. :) When will it ship or will it be possible to buy it?

Ron Evans April 28th, 2013 06:22 AM

Beginning for June in North America not sure for Italy. It should be on the Sony site now.

Ron Evans

Adriano Moroni April 30th, 2013 07:04 AM

I have just viewed some shots by Sony HX200. They are wonderful for high definition and chromatism but when I have seen the car run or people walking with faster steps (when they quicken one's pace) I see a irregular movement, it is not fluid movement, it seems a trigger-action. Why I see this problem? Yet the Sony HX200 works with 1080p50/60. What is the problem? I have viewed those shots with fat Sony 48".
Thanks

Ron Evans April 30th, 2013 07:26 AM

How did you view this video? Are you sure you actually got the source video at 50/60P.

Ron Evans

Adriano Moroni April 30th, 2013 07:51 AM

I view my videos by WD Western Digital TV at 1080p 50Hz. Could be the video was shot at 60p and if I view it at 50p I get problems?

Ron Evans April 30th, 2013 08:01 AM

Where did you get the file ? What do the properties say ?

Ron Evans

Adriano Moroni April 30th, 2013 09:06 AM

This is the video I have downloaded and viewed on my TV. It was shot in 1080p.
I have downloaded other video with less fast movements (guys with fast walking) but I get the same problem.

Dave Blackhurst April 30th, 2013 07:14 PM

Some devices have a bit of trouble with 60p - it's a larger bitstream, and it's possible that it could be causing some stutter. At least that'd be my first guess. Does it always show stutter at the same spots, or is it somewhat random? And if you pause, does it smooth for a bit, then start to stutter?

I saw a little bit of stutter here on my computer on playback, but I've got a lot of things running... 60p has had me contemplating a system upgrade for a while too, but most times it plays back fine.

Keep in mind that the HX300 is using a completely new sensor vs. the HX200. So far, the new sensor is getting decent results, I've got to do some pixel peeping on larger screens, but it does look like Sony got this one pretty well tweaked.

Adriano Moroni May 1st, 2013 03:32 PM

It is somewhat random.

I have viewed many shots with care of many cameras around the same price and now I can tell you the best image quality is of Sony HX200.
I have downloaded some shots from my PC and then I have checked them by WD Western Digital TV on my TV. I have checked shots of Sony HX200, Sony HX300, Lumix FZ150, Sony SLT-A57 and Sony RX100.
Sony HX200 is very far better of all others and cheaper. Colours are very good, also high definition. In my opinion it is the best camera for that price.
Pity it is impossible to plug on it an external light for video because there isn't any hot-shoe.

Bruce Dempsey May 1st, 2013 05:51 PM

The downloaded videos that you compared were all shot under the same lighting? Otherwise your conclusions might be misleading
A crappy camera will shoot beautiful video under good lighting whereas an otherwise superior camera will shoot crappy looking video under poor lighting.

Dave Blackhurst May 1st, 2013 10:23 PM

Yeah, all shot in identical conditions... not likely. All shot by the same operator... that alone can account for a LOT of variation... All processed in post the same way... doubtful. SOOOOO many "variables" left unaccounted for!!

I've seen bad clips (or worse yet "tests/reviews") from cameras that I know quite well... that embarrass the camera AND the person posting their "sample"... you can't believe everything you see, read or download from the internet...

Just as a "fer instance" - I shot some samples of the full/nearly full moon on two consecutive nights - the first night there was a fair amount of dust/moisture in the air... definitely noticeable in the results!! That's under otherwise "identical" conditions, the first set had a bit of softness the second set did not, even though the first was shot on monopod, the second handheld... Both are better than the best I could get with the 100/200, less noise, and less CA... I'm happy. Also less "jpeg overspray" for want of a better desription of something I saw in many HX200 shots, both my own and posted samples.

I've only had the HX300 for a couple days, but I'd give it a qualified "thumbs up" so far, and it's the ONLY camera I have with 1200mm optics (+ more in clear zoom).

I still need to shoot more test video, but I can say that the stills are signifcantly better to my eye in the 300 than in the prior two cameras. ALL of them are weak in poor light (small sensor, you can only expect so much), but the 300 seems to hold together a little better to higher ISO's, and doesn't exhibit problems in "good light" or flash shots that caused me to give up on the earlier versions. I've pulled up a few similar samples, and I'd take the 300 over the 100 and 200. I'm sure in the ranges the Alpha APS-C camera lenses match, the Alphas would "win".

From the limited testing I've done with video, I'd also say it has at least a stop, if not more, of better sensitivity in lower light (when compared to the TX100, which is a bit better than any of the other Sony P&S cameras in low light for reasons I've never figured out!)... The HX300 is the best I've seen from any of the small sensor Sony P&S cameras - it won't touch the top end CX/PJ type video camera, but it's actually pretty good.

If you want to add a light, it's easy enough to get a straight or folding flash bracket that will mount a small dimmable LED light when desired, I usually have that setup with me If I anticipate needing the added light. It won't make a small sensor match a bigger one, but it can be an equalizer.

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of video samples of the HX100 and 200 that I can match conditions, or the RX100 either - these tend to be "grab and go", shoot whatever is interesting cameras, so matching conditions is sort of hard! BUT, the HX300 has already earned a spot alongside the RX100, barring unforseen "gotchas". I got use out of the RX100 and 200 when I had them as well, for what they did well!

If the upcoming HX50 is as well tweaked and with good optics, it could be a nice package.

Adriano Moroni May 2nd, 2013 01:12 AM

I'm sorry but I have to contradict you.
Now I explain you better: I have downloaded more than 100 videoclips in 1080p of those cameras. I like to compare them in daily light only because I will shot in daily light only. I don't take interest for a big Zoom but for a medium Zoom only. I have downloaded clips tested only in town and in country (with very green background) and I have checked their image quality in wide angle lens and medium Zoom.
I have checked with care around:
40 shots of Sony HX200
4 shots of Sony HX300 (there are so few clips on Internet)
20 shots of Lumix FZ150
30 shots of Sony SLT-A57
15 shots of Sony RX100
... and some shots of some other cameras like Sony NEX 6, etc

The only camera very close to Sony HX200 was HX300 but I haven't checked their comparison because there aren't many clips of HX300 on Internet.

RESULT
1) Every videoclip of Sony HX200 was perfect. It is incredible but NO shot was imperfect with bad colours and definition. 100% of the clips were OK!
2) All the shots of Lumix FZ150 were good but not like HX300 or HX200
3) All the shots of Sony SLT-A57 were very good but not like HX200
4) All the shots of Sony RX100 were very good but not like HX200

IN MY OPINION the best camera of them is Sony HX200 because I haven't seen any bad clips. Every clip was perfect.
I will wait for Sony HX50 because I think it will be a wonderful camera but .... if the clips I will download aren't good like Sony HX200, with no doubt I will buy the HX200, even if I like more smaller cameras.
I trust my eyes than what I read on their specifications. You can believe me or not believe me but my eyes have made a lot of training on the video.
I prefer Sony HX200 over HX300 because it costs less and it has a tilt display. I have read some specifications about HX300 and there are contradictory writings. I still don't understand if HX300 has tilt display.

PS: My hought is confirmed by some reviews:
http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/72...-camera-review
http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/73...t-hx300-review

Dave Blackhurst May 2nd, 2013 02:29 PM

4 samples... hmm, OK, that's definitive... or not. I've only had the HX300 a few days, barely enough to "play" with the camera, not seriously shoot with it. I know I found mixed "reviews", many saying they didn't think it was that much better than the 200...

Perhaps their shooting conditions and expectations were different from mine, but CA and jpeg artifacts (stills) were a bit more than I was willing to accept in the 100/200, even though I used them and got some good/great results - not "bad" cameras, but there were things that go with small sensor P&S cameras I don't like in a camera that is right on the edge of being a "full size" camera at a higher end price point.

Overall, I see significantly better STILLS from the 300 than the prior models, and the random times I've pressed the "movie" button looked OK. FWIW, I got some "bad" video results initially with the RX100 as I tried to sort out all the settings... the P&S lines don't have a lot of adjustments, the RX has quite a few!

OH, and it's relatively easy to find out that the HX300 has the same tilting display of the earlier 100/200 - it does, and I don't know fo any reason you'd think it didn't, so I have to chuckle a bit at your "contradicting" when you haven't in all the "research" been able to determine a basic mechanical specification... I know there's often conflicting info out there, so I do understand, but when you're doing "research", you've got to be able to know your sources (thus what you've been told about trusting video "samples" from multiple shooters under varying conditions...). And yes, the tilt screen is VERY handy to shoot overhead, or from lower angles... it's one feature I REALLY find useful.

I would suggest the HX100/200/300 is a more "enthusiast" oriented camera, so I'd expect someone shooting it to have better skills, which MAY accout for the better samples.

Until the HX50 is actually available, no way to know for sure how it will perform. From the specs released, it will have a 30x optical, which is interesting, as that was the same range as the HX200 "superzoom" - if the optics are good, this will be a BIG zoom for a "pocket camera".

I can say from experience with Sony, that even with the same sensors and basic electronics (meaning the cameras may share the same "specs"), you have to evaluate the specific camera, there can be significant difference.... specs aren't the whole story, as you say, and sometimes an earlier model CAN be a bit better than the the "upgrade".

You seem to be primarily concerned with the VIDEO side, and if that's the main focus, you'll probably be happy with the small sensor P&S quality, I find it quite acceptable, as do others here who use them for personal/casual use or for "B cam" footage. If stills are at all a priority, I'd lean towards the RX100, the difference is pretty stark. Then again, I can stick the RX100 in a side pocket of a small bag with an HX300 and still have a small kit that will do most things VERY well... will the HX50 cover both bases... we'll see soon enough!

Bruce Dempsey May 2nd, 2013 05:04 PM

My god Dave you're on fire...... WAIT you ARE on FIRE, I just switched on the news and your neck of the woods is going up in smoke. Never saw so many chopers with water buckets and bulldozers and fire trucks but they looked helpless against such a fire force. Hope it's far enough away from your house.

Home | PhotographyBLOG is rolling out a review of the HX300 and have previewed some of the shots and a bit of .mts which is quite nice.

Dave Blackhurst May 2nd, 2013 08:21 PM

For the moment it's all on the other side of the mountains, but it's a heckuva start to fire season, I'm sure we'll have our days before it's done! I"m sure they will have the big DC10 up shortly - that used to be based at the nearby decommissioned airbase, used to get some shots when it went over!

I'm actually impressed so far with the HX300, definitely need to get out a bit with it and see if there are any "gotchas" - really the "defects" in images on the 100 and 200 were not that serious, but they bugged me when comparing to other bigger cameras.

The two reviewsAdriano posted mentioned the artifacting, but so far the 300 looks to handle it better. I find it interesting that there seems to be so much focus on "too many pixels", without regard to the quality of the sensor - I was thinking earlier how many times I read "fewer pixels would have been better" - I know that there is in theory a penalty for cramming too many photosites into the same physical area, but technology moves forward, and sometimes these "internet legends" live on without taking into account the changes in tech! I can say that the sensor in the 300 is significantly better in low light than either the 16 or 18 MPixel predecessors - I actually was rather impressed with how well it does!

Adriano Moroni May 3rd, 2013 01:30 AM

Dave,
I would buy a smaller camera than Sony HX50 but only if it will give me better video because I NEED the best image quality from it (smaller is better). Like in the first post I ask it, that is a small camera for good video. But I'm afraid the bigger cameras have better lens and unfortunately (for me) they can give better quality of image in the video. I have checked some shots of Sony RX100 and although the videos are good but not equally good like a Sony HX200 or HX300. Why?

Dave Blackhurst May 3rd, 2013 03:50 AM

Possibly a couple of factors - first off, the RX100 has extensive manual controls... meaning it's pretty easy to goof it up (experience speaking). Unlike the highly auto P&S cameras, you have a lot of things to tweak, even when in video mode. IOW, even someone who has a farily good idea what they are wanting to do needs to spend some serious time experimenting and learning the RX100 - I've found I can get what I want, but the first attempts were not so hot! That said, the stills are superb, and I'm comfortable enough to shoot casual video with it. The camera is a bit like a racehorse or supercar... it takes a little more (a lot more?) to master, BUT it also has a lot more to give - using it like a P&S would be like driving on an LA freeway at rush hour in a Ferrari... it's still a REALLY impressive P&S, but you're in first gear!

The other possible factor depending on what "image problems" you are seeing can be the fact that larger sensors behave differently than smaller ones - that same shallow Depth of Field look that is craved by large sensor users CAN work against you when you need or want a deep DoF. There can also be more issues with moire and aliasing as well as rolling shutter. You have to have better camera technique and be conscious of how you shoot - while Sony has put the time into autofocus and other auto adjusting, you still need to think more with a large sensor camera... and you should be able get better results in exchange.

There also may be some instances of pushing the camera - it is a LOT more capable in low light, but that also means a user may use it at a point where a smaller sensor cam would be basically "black", and get an image, albeit one that's got more noise and artifacting. I shot some stuff at an amusement park where everyone else with a "small" camera got NO usable results, the RX100 got a bit of usable footage... sort of!

I'll admit I prefer letting the camera do as much work as it can and getting a good result, but also having the option to manually tweak... As another "fer instance", in the HX300 review you linked, they mentioned overexposure - from experience, I know to tap the wheel on the back right under the thumb, and dial back the EV as needed to prevent that problem - again, experience with these cameras makes this a reflex, a reviewer might not know to do it instinctively, and so thinks the camera has a weak point... when it's designed to let the user quickly and easily override and nail the shot. Having used the 100 and 200, the manual override is programmed into my thunb! I noticed the HX50 also has an EV wheel on it, in a similar spot. The RX100 can also do it, but only in some modes, where the 300 always can apply and EV shift.

My general point being that you have to spend some time with any camera to learn how to get the most out of it, no matter what you pick. It's pretty hard to get a really "bad" camera nowadays, so it comes down to what you're needs are...

I don't use a superzoom often, but when I do... I'd prefer the HX300. If I want superior stills and pocketability, the RX100 might be what I grab... if I'm anticipating weather or adverse conditions, I might grab a TX20, and live with the limitations, which are many, but it won't die if it gets dunked! If I'm shooting stills and being paid, I'll drag out the Alphas, but I increasingly don't want to lug them around for "casual" use! Could I take video from any of the cameras I mention and intermix it, and would a typical viewer be able to pick out which was which?? Probably not...

I think we got well off of the Handycams, but they too have their qualities...again we're taling about a different tool. I wouldn't try to take "great" stills with one, but for many video purposes, they are designed to do the job and do it well.

Any way you approach the question, you probably don't NEED to lug a big camera around anymore to get "pretty good" video and still results, it comes down to what best meets your needs and your budget.