basic hd cam with xlr at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old August 13th, 2013, 04:48 PM   #1
Major Player

basic hd cam with xlr

have a client that wants to do a doc on his parents. but basically wants to have camera setup in their living room and they will turn it on at random times to record interesting stories that they want to tell. at end of this timeframe I will be editing it for them.
would be much easier to put a lav mic on them, wired. im obviously not going to leave my ex1r there, so client would like me to help him buy a camera.
whats the bare minimum on decent hd cams with xlrs on them? cheapest ive seen are the canon xa20s.but those are 2200.00, doubt he would want to spend that much

anysuggestions?
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 08:29 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: basic hd cam with xlr

Canon R300 with a RODE Video Mic Pro would work well in this situation. Less than $600.
Ed Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2013, 06:01 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: basic hd cam with xlr

I used the Panasonic HDC-v720 for something like this. It has an external mic input. It also tracks faces for focus and optionally exposure. Also, it has a partial Auto mode so you can lock down some things but let the automatics handle others. The long life battery isn't yet shipping however.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition