Simple HDV capture application? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old August 20th, 2013, 07:21 AM   #1
Major Player

Simple HDV capture application?

Hello to all:

I have borrowed a friends Sony HVR-Z1U camera for a potential HD shoot. The client is overseas so I will need to convert the final tape files to h264 .mov and send them via FTP. The conversion part I can do with Mpeg Streamclip.

The capturing of the HDV files off the tape via the firewire connection is where I'm stuck. I do not do any HD editing and have no software for that purpose. Standard def DV is as far as I can go.

Are there any simple HDV capture utilities I can install on my Dell firewire laptop to get the files off these tapes for the conversion? I looked at something called ConnectHD but it wants a very fast system and seems to need to convert the files to it's own proprietary format.

HDV is only 35Mbit/s (as opposed to DV's 25Mbit/s) so I would think my 1.6Ghz laptop can do the capture
just fine if I can find a low-CPU capture utility.

Any suggestions?
Old August 20th, 2013, 10:35 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Simple HDV capture application?

There is a freeware program called HDV split that works really well for me. Version 0.77Beta was the last version.

Another program that will do it is VLC, but it's buried in the menus.

HDV split is just a quick and easy utility to capture HDV from tape. You can capture as one long file and split into scenes later, or have it separate the video into scenes automatically during capture.

Hope this helps.
Old August 20th, 2013, 01:53 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi George,

I second the motion for HDV Split, but wanted to add that HDV uses the exact same data rate as DV...that is why the miniDV tapes holds the same 60 minutes of video whether DV or HDV.

Thanks
Old August 20th, 2013, 03:27 PM   #4
Major Player

Thank you Roger.

I gave HDV Split a try and it did seem to capture some test clips even using my 1ghz machine. This Dell was too slow to offer a preview of the capturing but the files seem to be there.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition