Alternative to BlackMagic shuttle at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old May 13th, 2019, 07:18 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Alternative to BlackMagic shuttle

If this isn't the right subforum please feel free to move, wasn't 100% sure.

I currently use a blackmagic shuttle to get my audio and video into a computer, where I use OBS to record interviews where the guest is on skype

The signal flow is:

Audio & video from camera => blackmagic shuttle => HDMI into my computer => OBS, where it is added to the skype guest's audio and video

The problem is that the shuttle does not work as a skype webcam. If i have OBS open, the guest CAN hear my audio, but my camera is not recognized by skype since blackmagic isn't supported as a skype webcam./

My question is very simple: What devices could I put in place of the blackmagic shuttle that would do everything i'm currently doing while in ADDITION allowing me to send my video to the guest so that they can see me?
David Pakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2019, 08:42 AM   #2
New Boot

Re: Alternative to BlackMagic shuttle

we use these:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1318044-REG/blackmagic_design_bdlkwebptr_web_presenter.html/BI/2855/KBID/3801

they are made for exactly this purpose. We run all of our video (cameras, power point presentaiong onm a seperate PC, etc.) through a switcher and into the web presenter, but the end result is pretty much the same as what you are going for.

We also have a couple Vaddio bridges that we use as well, but to be honest the BMD Web Presenter does a great job at 1/3 the price.
Brad Kraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2019, 09:43 AM   #3
New Boot

duplicate post

Last edited by Brad Kraus; May 13th, 2019 at 10:51 AM.
Old May 13th, 2019, 11:12 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Kraus View Post
we use these:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1318044-REG/blackmagic_design_bdlkwebptr_web_presenter.html/BI/2855/KBID/3801

they are made for exactly this purpose. We run all of our video (cameras, power point presentaiong onm a seperate PC, etc.) through a switcher and into the web presenter, but the end result is pretty much the same as what you are going for.

We also have a couple Vaddio bridges that we use as well, but to be honest the BMD Web Presenter does a great job at 1/3 the price.
very interesting, and if im just recording video from a local camera with this device, will the quality be just as high as with the shuttle? ie, no degradation of any kind?
Old May 13th, 2019, 11:48 AM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Pakman View Post
very interesting, and if im just recording video from a local camera with this device, will the quality be just as high as with the shuttle? ie, no degradation of any kind?
The Web Presenter itself doesn't record so you could loop either an SDI or HDMI signal out of it into your Shuttle. You should see recording quality identical to what you are seeing now.
Old May 13th, 2019, 12:30 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
The Web Presenter itself doesn't record so you could loop either an SDI or HDMI signal out of it into your Shuttle. You should see recording quality identical to what you are seeing now.
sorry i realize my question wasn't clear. currently i use the shuttle to get the video from my camera, via HDMI, into the shuttle, and out to the computer with USB3. Am i correct that i can REPLACE the shuttle with this device in the same way as the mechanism to get the video into the computer for recording in OBS?
Old May 13th, 2019, 01:35 PM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
sorry i realize my question wasn't clear. currently i use the shuttle to get the video from my camera, via HDMI, into the shuttle, and out to the computer with USB3. Am i correct that i can REPLACE the shuttle with this device in the same way as the mechanism to get the video into the computer for recording in OBS?
Ah, now I see. Yes, that will work very well. The Web Presenter will capture incoming video and output it via USB3 to the PC where it can be used in a Skype meeting or however else you like. Hope this helps!
Old May 15th, 2019, 07:23 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Ah, now I see. Yes, that will work very well. The Web Presenter will capture incoming video and output it via USB3 to the PC where it can be used in a Skype meeting or however else you like. Hope this helps!
one other question on this: it looks like it is limited to 720p. I believe that the shuttle is handling much higher quality video. is 720p the limit for the use as a WEBCAM specifically, or even in OBS i won't be able to record higher than 720p video with this device? thanks!
Old May 30th, 2019, 12:40 PM   #9
New Boot

Quote:
one other question on this: it looks like it is limited to 720p. I believe that the shuttle is handling much higher quality video. is 720p the limit for the use as a WEBCAM specifically, or even in OBS i won't be able to record higher than 720p video with this device? thanks!
Sorry for the late reply. I missed this somehow. The video on the Web Presenter is indeed limited to 720p, regardless of how it is used. it is a limitation of the device and its original intended purpose, which is streaming video to the web. I had forgotten about this limitation - sorry for getting your hopes up!
Old May 30th, 2019, 02:00 PM   #10
Major Player

Perhaps consider using NDI which is a very popular video over IP protocol from Newtek.

You get a converter box from either Newtek or a few different third-parties which converts HDMI or SDI sources to NDI, which is then available to all devices on your local network.

OBS, WireCast, vMix, LiveStream, WireCast can all accept NDI sources now, with full HD quality as if coming from a capture card. As for apps requiring a "web cam" source, run the free NDI VIRTUAL INPUT app which then makes any available NDI source appear as a web cam to any software looking for a web cam source.

https://www.newtek.com/ndi/tools/

Thanks

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition