HL H1 vs HVX comparisons? Hellp! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old May 9th, 2006, 05:56 PM   #1
Major Player

HL H1 vs HVX comparisons? Hellp!

Can someone recommend a good pro-con shoot out comparison between these cams? I like the film look of the HVX over the HLH1, but prefer the sharper res I see in the screen caps for the HlH1.

What cab be done to make one sharper, or the other more film like?

And what other basic pro-cons are there? Not only in terms of operation, but film outs vs home theater screening.

What makes the one HD different from the other?

I am getting a lot on the HVX--but would like to round out my info.
Kelly Goden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:04 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Goden
Can someone recommend a good pro-con shoot out comparison between these cams? I like the film look of the HVX over the HLH1, but prefer the sharper res I see in the screen caps for the HlH1.

What cab be done to make one sharper, or the other more film like?

And what other basic pro-cons are there? Not only in terms of operation, but film outs vs home theater screening.

What makes the one HD different from the other?

I am getting a lot on the HVX--but would like to round out my info.
the biggest pro of the hvx is it's versatility, it's biggest con is the price of p2 and the short record times.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:10 AM   #3
Wrangler

Hi Kelly,

The dedicated forums here on DVi for each of these cameras contain a great wealth of information including many links to full-rez video clips shared by members:

Canon XL H1: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=101

Panasonic HVX-200: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=80

As you read through these forums, you'll find extensive discussions with a variety of personal viewpoints on just about every aspect of these cameras. You can also find threads on specific topics very quickly with the advanced search feature: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/search.php

They are very different cameras so as you become more familiar with the differences, your choice will become easier. Enjoy!
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 09:08 AM   #4
Regular Crew

dv.com, sign up is free. they have an article on the latest 4 camera's.
Darrell
FIRST CINEMA PICTURES
Old May 10th, 2006, 04:14 PM   #5
Major Player

Well, after checking out that 4 camera test my only question is, where can I rent the F900 in BC Canada?

;p
Old May 10th, 2006, 05:23 PM   #6
Trustee

So you were under the impression that an under $10,000 1/3" cam competes with pro cams who's lens alone cost 4 times that much?
Old May 10th, 2006, 06:01 PM   #7
Major Player

Nope-just making a joke about the cam that was the easiest to decide about(hence the use of the ";p" emoticon) . I actually liked the hlH1 the second best from the tests I viewed and was able to watch.
Old May 11th, 2006, 12:57 PM   #8
Trustee

Sorry, missed the sarcasm. He he, I guess I need to go back to emoticon school!

;>)
Old May 11th, 2006, 05:47 PM   #9
Major Player

Ha actually I think from the post it could seem like I was dissing the 4 cameras.

To tell the truth the more I learn--the harder it is to choose.

Interlaced vs progressive

SD vs HD

film out vs DV projection

Maybe I will just put them all in a hat and do a lottery draw.

A very big hat.
Old May 15th, 2006, 08:36 PM   #10
Regular Crew

dumb,...

I know this is so dumb,....but I can't stand the way the HVX looks. It doesn't look pro at all. I know that's a dumb reason not to buy a camera,...but I can't help it.
Ian Mora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 08:39 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Whoa,....

It shoots 1080p at 24fps? Am I reading that right?
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:34 PM   #12
Trustee

Yes your reading that right. But do understand that the recording format is not a barring of the detail of resolution captured. For example the HVX will in no way better the 720p24 of the progressive HD100 as far as detail goes. The H1 in its interlaced mode will even best them both at over 800 TVlines. The HVX is not a resolution king, no matter what mode you capture in. As pointed out its strong points are P2 and versatility. Its down points are P2, fixed lens an form factor.
Old May 16th, 2006, 10:01 AM   #13
Regular Crew

firestore

Now correct me if I'm wrong,...but doesn't the firestore achieve basically the same thing as the p2 cards? for less money?
Old May 16th, 2006, 10:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Mora
Now correct me if I'm wrong,...but doesn't the firestore achieve basically the same thing as the p2 cards? for less money?
Depends on how you look at it. The Firestore adds SIGNIFICANTLY to the size of the HVX, nearly half again as much in size and in weight. It stores a lot more media than can a P2 card, but a big part of the HVX marketing concept is that it has "no moving parts." In other words, no HDD, because it's solid state media. This has its benefits, but also detriments.
First, eventually all P2 media is going to end up on an HDD. Period. There is a point in favor of the Firestore or similar.
Second, there *is* a moving part anyway with P2, it's called "you." You'll be pulling the P2 card a minimum of 18 times per hour, and hoping every pin lines back up in place when you pull or push it. Another point in favor of the Firestore or similar.
Third, P2 is very small, lightweight, and fits 2 inside the camcorder, allowing for a small footprint. A point in favor of P2.
Four, no cables with P2. Another point in favor of P2.

I'm not a raving fan of P2. The HVX is a good camcorder if it fits your needs/wants. P2 in this particular application seems like a waste to me due to cost, but that's just me. a Firestore falls into the 30.00 per GB vs nearly 200.00 per GB for P2. I also don't come from a background of loading a film reel every 11 mins or so, and changing out a P2 card every 8 minutes and waiting 8 mins for transfer isn't my idea of a fun shoot. But, you also have no worries of dropout with the P2, so another big point in favor of any sort of non-tape based storage whether it's P2 or HDD.
IMO, HDD in the form of DVRack, Firestore, or similar is the best way to fly with this camcorder. Plus it's a lot less costly.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition