Changing file types for .m2t's at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old May 11th, 2006, 08:48 PM   #1
New Boot

Changing file types for .m2t's

Hello All,

I have been lurking around for a long time, thanks for all the info to all those who contribute.

I have a bunch of .M2T files that I am trying to rename to .mpg's; yes sound simple enough. But I inadvertently assigned Windows Media Player as the program to open the .M2T files. Before I could windows would give me that unknown folder icon for the .m2t files, and I could just erase .m2t and replace with .mpg and viola all my windows app treated my footage as .mpg's. However now, with WMP as my file assigned file opener I can't change the file type by changing the file extension name. There has to be a simple way of unassigning .m2t's so I can rename them.

Any ideas?

Chris
Christopher Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 10:43 PM   #2
Major Player

To turn off this so-called "feature," in your file manager go under tools->folder options, the "view" tab, and uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types."

At least, this is the procedure under Windows 2000. Your mileage may vary with one of the newer versions.
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 03:24 PM   #3
Major Player

Just changing the extension does NOT change the file from "transport stream" to "program stream". VLC does this easily and quickly as it does not NEED re-encoding. The MPG file is just a little smaller as the transport stream has a little better error correction.
Old May 12th, 2006, 05:09 PM   #4
Major Player

I think a program called MPEG Streamline can do it.
Alex Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 07:32 PM   #5
New Boot

You Guys Rock Thanks Alot!!

David thanks of the extra info on the Transport/Program Stream I didn't realize that and I will look into it further.

Chris
Christopher Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 10:44 AM   #6
Regular Crew

For digging into .m2t, or into .ts files, may be you want to check PVAstrumento http://www.offeryn.de/dv.htm

Very informative...
Pierre Barberis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition