An interesting thing on "TV" HDV/HD vs. film-like HDV/HD - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old August 3rd, 2006, 11:25 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Ken , I agree about interlace TV too. They used the AC frequency to avoid paying for an oscilator, sent half the image at a time and then arranged the phosphors to decay at a rate to mask the image changes. Makes you realize that we now use modern technology, handicaped with scalers so that we can see film technology and TV technology from decades ago!!!!!!. Bit like taking a modern car and installing beam axles, friction dampers and wooden wheels!!!! On a smooth road with the stereo on and airconditioning you may not notice the difference!!!!

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 02:00 PM   #32
MPS Digital Studios

People think film with 24p (plus shallow depth of field, lighting, movements, etc.), TV news/documentaries with 60i (and all that applies).

I showed a short film I did in 60i with all the other features mentioned above that's found in films and most people said, "It looks like film," except it was a little too smooth in that 60i way.

A short I did with Jon Fordham, Release Me, was shot in 30p and it had that slight TV but film-ish quality.

On the other side of the spectrum, a quasi-dogme 95 film I did in 60i (Canon XL1) without any of the film aesthetics was very "home video-ish" until I changed it to 24p. That helped it a bit.

heath
Old August 3rd, 2006, 02:28 PM   #33
Inner Circle

For me its the stutter of 24p that I find very annoying. The other effects are just fine and do create the NOT REAL look that fiction needs. I am all for using any effects available to create the emotion for a feature. But when I am watching something for knowledge or to remember detail a would like NO effects, highest detail and highest frame rate ( I want to be there, like looking through a window at most). This will look like home video to some because there will be no masking of detail and large depth of field just like being there!!!
If the desire is to produce something that is better than the typical home video ( shot on automatic) then clearly better focusing, exposure/lighting, framing will make the video look better than the average home video. If this is an event then steady tripod use, better editing will all make the difference to the average home video. Just like most people can tell the difference between local TV channel coverage of an event and one taken by a spectator with his Handycam. HD will bring even more challenges and create a differentiation too. Focus will be more critical, compression will bring some of the same problems of film at 24p in panning etc...... One doesn't need to cripple the source video with 24p to create a difference.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 02:37 PM   #34
MPS Digital Studios

You summed it up perfectly for yourself...do what you like.

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition