FilmTeknik - UK Low Cost Indie Film Lighting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old March 10th, 2007, 07:25 AM   #1
Regular Crew

FilmTeknik - UK Low Cost Indie Film Lighting

My name is Nick Bartleet, I am a music video director/DOP with my own production company pixelloft: www.pixelloft.com

Having noticed a gap in the market for low cost, high quality film and video lighting, i have decided to introduce my own range of lighting equipment, starting with redheads, but soon including a flourescent range and possibly some fresnels. I also hope to add a low cost LED ringlight to the range at some point in the future.

I have just introduced a brand new range of low cost Red Heads for Indi filmmakers and videographers, the details of which can be found on my new website. I would be very interested to get feedback from UK forum members on the range. The website is:

www.filmteknik.co.uk

Thanks in advance

Best, Nick
Nicholas Bartleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 05:54 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Nicholas,
I have been following your great work from which I got a lot of inspirations!

If you do develop low-cost fluorescent lights you can already put me in the list!

Can't wait to see your other products.

Simon
Simon Heymans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 04:05 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Simon,

Apologies for the late post. I am developing a fluro range at the moment which i shall be releasing in about 3 weeks.

I am really pleased you like my work,

Best, Nick
Nicholas Bartleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 01:30 PM   #4
Trustee

I love the look of your stuff...lights are out of my price range, but look really cool.

Where would you suggest looking to learn color timing...where/how did you learn.
Old March 30th, 2007, 03:55 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Cole,

Yeah, with the exchange rate the way it is, i wouldn't reccomend customers from the USA considering my gear.

I picked up colour grading myself, just playing with colours over the years in photoshop, combustion, after effects and more recently colour finesse, and hopefully Final Touch HD in the near future.

The best way to do it i think.

Thanks, Nick
Old March 31st, 2007, 12:07 AM   #6
Trustee

Would you consider writing up a tutorial or taking some screenshots while you're working...original, destination and settings in the corrector? Sorry for hijacking your thread...I'll stop now. They are super cool looking lights...I want one...need beta testers ;)
Old March 31st, 2007, 06:54 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi Cole,

I would like to do that, its often just difficult to find time, becuase project deadlines are soooo tight.

A few pointers are that i like to use curves and a waveform monitor. Step one, i amways set my black levels and white levels using the curves and the waveform to makesure blacks are black and likewise with whites. I then adjust the gamma curve, depending on the image and the look i want.

Having done this, i begin working with primary color adjustment... usually with curves becuase i like the control i get with them. Crushing colours and pushing in different areas of the curves to create the main look.

Then onto seccondary and selective ccing. color finesse is great for this.

Hope this helps, and i will try and do an example during my next grade.

best, Nick

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition