Getting Started w/Edius Broadcast at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
All flavors of Edius; other Grass Valley / Canopus software & hardware.

Old February 2nd, 2008, 12:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Getting Started w/Edius Broadcast

I am a Macro System "Casablanca" user for the past three years. My system makes straight cuts only (no special effects) when using 702p. Not good if you are looking at a JVC250 and 720p. So, if you were to design an all new system and you allready owned Edius Broadcast, what add on software and what hardware would you purchase with a $10k budget? My market is corporate streaming video and DVD's.
Ron Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 04:12 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Edwards View Post
I am a Macro System "Casablanca" user for the past three years. My system makes straight cuts only (no special effects) when using 702p. Not good if you are looking at a JVC250 and 720p. So, if you were to design an all new system and you allready owned Edius Broadcast, what add on software and what hardware would you purchase with a $10k budget? My market is corporate streaming video and DVD's.
I have exactly the same camcorder and working with HD Uncompressed and HDV. I could give you a long list but the safest choice for your money - at least what I did - is a turnkey system straight from the Canopus/Grass Valley experts. Look into www.bhphotovideo.com and you'll find plenty of choices. Turnkey systems work like a charm and with no problems. Otherwise go to www.canopus.us and under the support tab you'll find a list of validated and incompatible motherboards. I'm pretty sure you know the rest.

These when it comes to hardware. I don't know how much your budget can cover but some necessary software stuff are Boris Graffiti, Inscriber's Titlemotion Pro for Edius, Xplode Pro, Procoder 3 and certainly Adobe's After Effects, Encore DVD and Audition.

Finally, don't forget to install version 4.54 for Edius, available for download for registered users at the Canopus site.
Themis Gyparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 06:27 AM   #3
Trustee

Ron,

we have a post and production facility that migrated from premiere after 10 years and have been using edius on 5 of our edit suites. All of them used various hardware from SD solutions to HD.

At its present encarnation, edius is quite robust and stable. I have churned out HD productions for digital cinema playback and for TV spots using our hd100 jvc cams. for SD we have several cams from DVX100s and older sony cams.

That said, first make sure that your PC is stable enough to handle edius.

At least a duo core processor with 2 gig of ram as your basic. If your budget permits get a faster processor as a priority. More RAM is only necessary if you extensively use other compositing software.

Use XP professional with SP2. Forget vista. its worthless. Im also an IT guy that put together all the PCs and network in our facility so dont listen to all newbies telling you vista is great.

for basic HD 720p work 7200rpm SATA barracudas from seagate are just fine. You can stripe them as a basic raid to maximize their performance.

I recommend ATI radeon or Invdia graphics cards with dedicated 256 ram. Dont get those that has hypermemory that get RAM from your system memory.

The title motion pro with edius is adequate. Inscriber makes industry standard titlers. Same make as the one built in with premier pro.

For hardware, i suggest you run edius first on a software only basis. you can capture the m2t files from your cam via the built in firewire of your motherboard or generiic OCHI cards.
Edius allows you to edit m2ts immediately, tho i would suggest you batch convert them to the canopus HQ codec if you want it more snappy and responsive.

If you like what you see in trems of workflow and need to view them out on a monitor i recommend getting the NX cards. they have 2 kinds. if you want component out they have an add on card.

The old canopus storm2 cards can allow you to view HD edits virtually via its video out to an ordinary monitor with s-video.

Well good luck. Edius is a good professional choice. Upgrades you from the semi-pro environment of casablanca.

Ted
Ted Ramasola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 10:23 AM   #4
Major Player

Some of the best plugins for EDIUS come from ProDad. Go www.prodad.de and take a look there.
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 04:35 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by TingSern Wong View Post
Some of the best plugins for EDIUS come from ProDad. Go www.prodad.de and take a look there.
I wouldn't say "some of the best". Maybe OK for wedding videographers, but I don't think they're suitable for corporate video. Very kitsch and certainly old-fashioned.
Themis Gyparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 08:32 PM   #6
Major Player

Very few video plugins are available for EDIUS platform - and ProDad happened to be the best available ... I don't think you can find anything else better than ProDad for running INSIDE EDIUS. It might not be best around - certainly, but, there are no others running as a plugin inside EDIUS.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 11:04 PM   #7
Trustee

Edius is a stable and adequate "base platform" for putting together your clips, raw or treated, For a serious user, any intensive tweaking, compositing, audio sweetening is usually handled by dedicated software for that purpose.

The pro dad software plug ins dont look professional in form and function.
Even though adorage comes in the bonus cd i dont use it nor do my editors. Unless its a cheap home movie project in our consumer department were content is not interesting enough and you need "flip and tumble" to excite.

The titlemotion thats with edius is from a professional company inscriber, and is the same company that made the prem pro titler and those used in big studios.

Audio is basic in edius and i recommend you use third party audio software like sound forge or audition.

If you need to key foorage, after effects is the way to go.

Ted
Ted Ramasola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 11:14 PM   #8
Major Player

I agree. I use Title Motion Pro as well - that comes with EDIUS. And I use Sound Forge to fix my audio too. I never use any of EDIUS audio tools - very hard to use them. And we can forget about VST plugins - too unstable to conisder at all.

Because of the lack of 3rd party plugins that works inside EDIUS, ProDad - despite its "unprofessional" software, is one of the very few that works. And it can be a time saver too.

The anti shaker (Mercalli) is adequate enough.

I have Adobe After Effects as well - but, is very slow when compared with EDIUS for a fast job ... with the client waiting by your side.
Old February 4th, 2008, 04:21 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Because of the lack of 3rd party plugins that works inside EDIUS, ProDad - despite its "unprofessional" software, is one of the very few that works. And it can be a time saver too.
There is Boris Graffiti that works inside Edius as a plugin. Much more professional than ProDad and much less kitsch...

Quote:
I have Adobe After Effects as well - but, is very slow when compared with EDIUS for a fast job ... with the client waiting by your side.
After Effect's workflow and capabilities can in no way be compared to Edius. Edius is a NLE software, not a dedicated keying and graphics application, and under no circumstances is it slow, unless installed on an inadequate or improperly set up system. Of course, it works differently, but it does a million more things.

Tell your client to go home and return when the job is done... :-)
Themis Gyparis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE