2 questions... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
All flavors of Edius; other Grass Valley / Canopus software & hardware.

Old February 4th, 2008, 02:14 AM   #1
Major Player

2 questions...

I have worked with Edius now for a couple of month. I like the quick work flow, but I found two things a bit irritating.

1. If I’m moving a new clip down to the time line and I got some old clips down the line, the old clip moves more down the line, the same distance as the new clip. How can I turn that of? For me that is so irritating.

2. If I what to make a key frame crop in 3D pip the program moves the clip to the centre of the frame, why? I have not told the program to do that, I still what the clip to stay on one side and fade in, then uncrop to full screen. Why dose the program do things that the user don’t say, for me that is not professional!

If any of you got an answer to any of my questions, please help me.

Markus Nord
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 03:19 AM   #2
Trustee

Markus,

Turn off insert mode and use overwrite mode. There is an icon shortcut on the timeline menu. Its the 7th icon from the X(delete) icon.

The workaround to your second problem is first check Resize for cropping and keyframe Crop AND Position using the X axis is you want a "wipe" from left or right.

Hope this helps.

Ted
Ted Ramasola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 03:41 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Nord View Post
I have worked with Edius now for a couple of month. I like the quick work flow, but I found two things a bit irritating.

1. If I’m moving a new clip down to the time line and I got some old clips down the line, the old clip moves more down the line, the same distance as the new clip. How can I turn that of? For me that is so irritating.

2. If I what to make a key frame crop in 3D pip the program moves the clip to the centre of the frame, why? I have not told the program to do that, I still what the clip to stay on one side and fade in, then uncrop to full screen. Why dose the program do things that the user don’t say, for me that is not professional!

If any of you got an answer to any of my questions, please help me.

Markus Nord
First of all, the software is very professional, what's more likely the way you handle it is the cause of your problems. Also, be cool, irritation is no help. To answer your questions:

1. I believe what Ted is referring to is actually Ripple Mode. You have it turned on. Turn it off. It's the button second next to the audio button to your right, on the top of the timeline window. Better yet, if you want to keep it off by default when you start a project and turn it on at will, go to Settings > Application Settings > Timeline > Default, check on Sync Mode On, leaving Ripple Mode unchecked.

2. Absolutely no idea what you're talking about! What do you mean by "the program moves the clip to the center of the frame"...? Keyframe cropping in 3d pip is something I do all the time with no problems. In fact I just did one and all works OK. Unless you mean that cropping occurs on an unwanted timecode, in which case... again... ripple mode off... :-) Also try what Ted suggests.

Finally, to fix certain issues - not the ones you refer to, these are clearly your omissions - download version 4.54 from www.canopus.com. if you haven't already.
Themis Gyparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 04:00 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks...I'll try to sort it out.

Themis... I'll try not to be irritated, sorry… the program are professional.

Ted, thanks for you suggestion about me second problem. When a crop a picture in 3D pip the picture moves to the centre of the screen. Yes I can move it to the side, but if I what to wipe that picture to full screen I need to also move the picture with position and that don’t look good. In Premiere I simply cropped the picture and key framed the crop to 0, but in Edius, this centre issue make it weird. Can I turn the centre thing of?

Thanks for your help

Markus
Old February 4th, 2008, 04:03 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Themis... I'll try not to be irritated, sorry… the program are professional.
No, no my friend. I didn't say it so that you apologize to anyone or anything, sorry if you got it that way. I just wanted to point out that if you keep a clear mind, everything comes into place. Now, honestly, for the second part of your question, I still don't get it. Where was your clip's original position when you added the first keyframe and at what size? Keep in mind that inside the position tab you can also adjust scale. All you have to do is set its rate accordingly and your video will go on to full screen.
Old February 4th, 2008, 04:27 AM   #6
Major Player

Hmmm… how can I explain the problem? I put the picture that I what to have the crop-wipe effect on at the V2 time line. I then put the 3D pip on, double click to set key frames. I then resize to full screen and keep the coordinates at x0 y0. Then I put in the coordinates on the crop, the picture gets cropped, but then it moves in to the centre of the screen, automatically. It doesn’t stay at the side of the screen? This is my issue. I can move it by sent the coordinates for x but If I then what to uncrop (wipe) the picture to full screen with the x coordinate moved to the side, the picture will not cover the full screen.

If you are cropping a picture, does the program move the picture automatically to the centre of the screen for you?

Markus
Old February 4th, 2008, 04:46 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
If you are cropping a picture, does the program move the picture automatically to the centre of the screen for you?
Actually, no. But when you set X and Y axis to 0 it is very normal that the picture will go the center because that's what you told it to do... 0 and 0 are the rates for center screen adjustment.

OK let me see how I can get you through this. Keep in mind that when you apply keyframes, they are applied to where your cursor is at the moment. What you describe sort of sounds like you apply the keyframes to a point on which the cursor is not at the beginning or the end of your clip. This automatically means that any adjustments back and forth from where your cursor is will cause the clip to move or resize accordingly.

Try this: Inside 3d pip adjustments tab, move the cursor to the beginning of the clip. Then arrange both scale and cropping accordingly. Afterwards, move the cursor to the time point where you want the new adjustments to occur and again arrange accordingly scale and position and see what happens.

By the way, this is the exact way keyframing is adjusted for every professional keying and graphics application, from After Effects to 3d Studio Max. Don't think with Premiere, think like it is supposed to be. Premiere, from my point of view, has some issues with keyframes.

Let me know what happened.
Old February 4th, 2008, 04:51 AM   #8
Trustee

Markus,

Unfortunately you can't turn it off in the current version of edius. However try to get used to this, the edius crop is much better than the cineform plug in crop. I mentioned this because cineform is usually used for real time editing of HD in premiere.

However, with practice, this will be easy.
Each just two keyframes for crop and position.
Lets say you want to use 3d pip for a crop to wipe a clip in 5 seconds from left to right.

1. you apply the filter

2. upon opening the settings drag the head slider to 5sec. go to position tab pull back scale to 100 since it defaults to 80.(another "flaw" meant to target amateurs) this creates a keyframe for scale.

3. click on crop tab. Click on x slider at 0 setting slider to create a keyframe for x position.

4. click on crop tab, click the right slider to create a keyframe with 10 setting.

5. drag your keyframe slider to the first frame, notice your frame shrunk to 80 percent, click the position tab and move scale to 100.

5, click crop tab. drag crop right to 988 to leave a line to see.

6. click position tab click on X slider, use the arrow pads, click on left arrow to move it up to -49. go back to crop and set crop to 990 to totally wipe out the clip.

7. click OK and hit space bar to view your smooth 5 second wipe using crop.

This numbers are based on a 1280x720 project preset.

Ted
Ted Ramasola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 05:02 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Ramasola View Post
go to position tab pull back scale to 100 since it defaults to 80.(another "flaw" meant to target amateurs)
Very well pointed out by Ted. Markus, when you mentioned that you resized to full screen I assumed you already knew that the scale rate was to 80 by default and set it to 100.
Old February 4th, 2008, 07:58 AM   #10
Major Player

Ok… thanks guys for helping out… I got it to work… but not 100 % the way I what but good enough.

Cheers
Markus Nord is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE