Edius 3.0 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
All flavors of Edius; other Grass Valley / Canopus software & hardware.

Old December 9th, 2004, 01:12 PM   #1
Wrangler

Edius 3.0

Canopus has announced Edius 3.0. It has some great upgrades over 2.51 and will handle HDV with a standard firewire card or with any of the Canopus RT cards. They have a diagram of what you can expect with differently powered host computers.

If you need to do multi-stream HDV in RT in the future, you can purchase their latest card and you will need fast SCSI drives to max the RT..

A Codec package is available for the 50 Mhz varieties of video also. Expensive but not in relationship to the gear.

Check it out on their web site. www.canopus.com
Old December 12th, 2004, 08:03 AM   #2
Inner Circle

its not too bad actually, for 300 AUD u can get the upgrade from 2.5 up to 3, but to get the most out of HDV, you really do need one of the new cards..

theyve also officially trashed the Storm cards... so multiple captures out of 3 decks onto 1 HDD at once is now a forgotten dream.. it was the next best thing to having a HDD recording deck like a firestore.. :(
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2004, 09:36 AM   #3
Wrangler

Trashed isn't exactly the word I'd choose.

The cards still work fine and will work with HDV as I read the info (I still use the DVRexRT) and for a long time to come, the hardware will do just fine even with HDV. One might be put into the position of having to render the HD stuff but then that would make us no worse than most editing systems today.
Old December 19th, 2004, 10:56 AM   #4
Regular Crew

yea i dunno what you on about, trashed! The dv storm card is and will be going strong for a few years yes. All i can think you are refering to is the release of the new hdv card in usa. ANd the offered usa residents only $400 rebate for people who send in to canopus their old storm cards. However the new cards dont seem to be a lot different, unless you really need high deffinition output and input and are going to use it frequently, its not essential. Yes desirable to have, but the storm card will do practically anything except make a cup of tea.
Actually, on the canopus forum, one man, discutting all of the keyboard shortcuts he'd found (ie control and z etc) said that one day he pressed control alt and B together, and his wife entered the room with a bacon sandwich. Mine dont do that, maybe i need the new high deff card! he he.,
Old December 20th, 2004, 03:47 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Re: Edius 3.0

<<<-- Originally posted by Mike Rehmus :
If you need to do multi-stream HDV in RT in the future, you can purchase their latest card and you will need fast SCSI drives to max the RT..
-->>>

SCSI drives are not required for much of anything these days, except maybe full uncompressed HD editing. Canopus says something about SCSI drives for uncompressed SD editing, but there are SATA RAID setups which should easily support that.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2004, 03:57 PM   #6
Inner Circle

<<<-- Originally posted by Mike Rehmus :
One might be put into the position of having to render the HD stuff but then that would make us no worse than most editing systems today. -->>>

As things stand today, all HDV editing solutions require rendering at the end of a project to available HD distribution formats (e.g. Windows Media & DivX). However, I just read today that Edius NX has a socket for a future output encoding chip, which Canopus hopes to offer once HD DVD specifications are finalized next year. That one feature alone could be worth a lot more than Edius NX costs in terms of the time it will save, because HD encoding is reportedly very slow. (Like maybe 24 hours to encode a 90-minute HD DVD.)
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2004, 04:13 PM   #7
Regular Crew

after re reading the write up of edius 3, there are some usefull aditions, but for hd editing they are recomending dual processors. I wont be upgrading yet. as i dont want to compromise system performance after messing around for so long to get edius 2 up to scratch (with the upgrades) just so i can convert my dv and play with HD.
But i love the sound of some of the features like added still capture management, and the improved colour ballance, orh and the watch folder. nice one.
Old December 21st, 2004, 07:15 AM   #8
Inner Circle

i dont think people get me.. trashed i mean no longer being made and is now replaced by the new NX capable units at the same price..

THATS what i mean by trashing..

Im not dissing the Storm, hell its a brilliant card.. jeez guys take it easy...

Hell Ive got an Edius SP for HDV system for my store
-->this one with the squid :)
http://www.canopus-aust.com/AU/products/EDIUS_HDV_SP/pt_EDIUS_HDV_SP_Hardware.asp

yes its a good system and storm 2 still rocks, but its long gone now..

as for teh new system.. u really do have to see slow motion and blurs with real HD footage.. not upscaled sd.. it really is a sight to behold..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2004, 07:44 AM   #9
Regular Crew

wd love to see. bet is great. But long gone is not true... its only a recent thing. Long gone is like the days of sinclair zx spectrum, not a card that has only just been changed! This industry moves fast enough, without encouraging it. This is how the computer industry works. It makes us feel like a 3.2 gig processor is just so much better than a 3 gig, and we need to get one now to improve performance, When infact as we learn, its only a slight improvement, and does not really make a big difference.
Old December 22nd, 2004, 04:14 PM   #10
Regular Crew

It's not even gone. The Storm is still for sale at dealers and on Canopus's web site. Wheter or not manufacturing has ceased, afaik Canopus hasn't said.
Old December 22nd, 2004, 04:22 PM   #11
Regular Crew

agreed. My quess if that they are still using some of thesame components actually. You know how it is. If you buy the basic edition of a motherboard, and take a look, it ususlly has all the circutry prepared for other features it can handle, that you get with other motherboards. Ie if i were to take a soldering iron to mine, i could have onboard I.R, extra firewire, more USB ports. Its a pain, how manufacturers manipulate things to keep market mooving.
Old December 23rd, 2004, 09:04 AM   #12
Major Player

What you need to know about the HDV cards are they contain an HDV chip. The HDV chip is capable of handling DV and HDV, where the current chip on the storms, etc canonly handle DV.

Canopus explained that at the DVEXPO demos I saw in LA 2 weeks ago.

It is the reason they are offering the upgrade for Storm users. They were very sincere about the reason for changing the storm into the NX solutions. They didn't want to do it, it just had to be done to meet the current and future needs of their market. Like many of us, they feel HDV will be very strong for the future.

I remember watching a demo of Canopus at an NAB, most likely 5 years ago when they had more RT than anyone else. I really didn't believe it. I was very skeptical because I had been burned by Matrox.

Then after switching to Apple in 2001, I remember the intro of the Storm and all the layers. I still didn't believe it, and wouldn't switch.

Well, my Edius NX card arrives this morning, and the computer I need to run it arrives in Santa's sleigh tomorrow. I can't wait to test dual 3.2Xeons and all that RT HDV!

This is a major change for the small producers. For that matter, it's an amazing power jump for all producers, although I suspect the Avid crowd will keep their heads up their butt.

Rock On Edius HDV solutions

DBK
Old December 26th, 2004, 06:15 PM   #13
Regular Crew

yes will look forward to hearing how that works. I spoke to someone today who reakons he saw a P4 overclocked to 5 gig! (Using water cooling). That would be interesting to see how edius performs. But dual processors, cool! Edius recognises a pentium 4 3 gig as 2 processors, id love to see how your system forms, if only edius could think there are 4 processors!
Old December 26th, 2004, 06:30 PM   #14
Wrangler

It will and does report 4 processors with dual HT micros.
Old December 26th, 2004, 07:18 PM   #15
Regular Crew

your not kidding!!! How does it perform in practice?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE