Convert HDV to Canopus HQ at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
All flavors of Edius; other Grass Valley / Canopus software & hardware.

Old August 11th, 2005, 11:33 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Convert HDV to Canopus HQ

I'm finally upgrading my "ancient" Edius 1.0 to 3.5 and I'm wondering if anybody has any experience editing material converted from HDV to Canopus HQ codec. I've read that I can squeeze out 1-2 layers of HDV on my single 3.0 GHz HT system, but I'm curious if the HQ codec will allow for more.
Also, I'm using a Storm II card now so I'll have to get a separate OHCI card to capture my HDV footage... any fairly cheap hardware suggestions?
Damon Botsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2005, 12:41 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I think that the speed of your cpu will determine this.
See this link to the Canopus chart about the relationship between cpu and real time capabilities:
http://www.canopus-uk.com/US/product...IUSPro3_03.asp
David Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2005, 11:48 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply...

Yeah, I've seen that chart and heard that those stats are highly exaggerated. I'm kind of looking for some real experience with HQ codec. I really don't want anything to do with native HDV editing.
I was considering the Canopus NX system, but that's quite an investment (new computer...new everything). For now, I just need simple cuts on 2 or 3 layers.
I'm shooting HDV now but look forward to getting a HVX200. I wonder if Canopus will come out with an entirely new card devoted to the HVX200. A system already packaged with the DVCPRO HD codec. I'm not sure if the Canopus NX system supports 1080P editing with the DVCPRO HD codec right now. I'd hate to invest so much now and then have a huge upgrade in just a few months.
Damon Botsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2005, 01:49 PM   #4
Regular Crew

You could also ask your question on the Canopus Edius forum. There are quite few HDV users active there and you usually get a very swift response. You can access the forums via the Canopus website.

HD and HDV are very demanding on the pc. It seems everything is in transition right now with many choices to be made between cpus, mobos, codecs, nles, drive arrangements, displays, delivery and so forth. It is also relatively expensive compared to miniDV. I am in a watching and waiting mode right now until the dust settles.

Re DVCProHD, this is available via an optional add on. The latest update to Edius 3.5 includes support for P2; expect to see support for the HVX200 when the camera is released. This will not require a new card. The Canopus website has specific information about this and other available options. With this add on Edius will handle the native DVCPro HD codec or you can use the Canopus codecs.
David Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2005, 02:47 PM   #5
Inner Circle

My brother and I experimented with the HQ format on single-processor PCs and encountered two problems: the first is that you can't effectively capture directly to the HQ format on such a computer, and the other is that you can only do the most basic single-layer editing. Our solution has been to build a dual-core computer using an Intel Pentium D 830 processor, and so far that seems to work fine for both direct capture and at least two-layer HQ format editing. You can buy decent dual-core computers from Dell and HP for as little as $1200 or so, which is a pretty good deal considering other alternatives for working with HD/HDV footage.

If you're not ready to upgrade your hardware, you might consider using either Adobe Premiere Pro or Sony Vegas software with the Cineform plugin. Both reportedly work effectively with HDV on single-processor PCs, but I'd still recommend planning to upgrade your hardware if you're planning to do a lot of HDV work.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2005, 10:06 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Botsford
I'm finally upgrading my "ancient" Edius 1.0 to 3.5 and I'm wondering if anybody has any experience editing material converted from HDV to Canopus HQ codec. I've read that I can squeeze out 1-2 layers of HDV on my single 3.0 GHz HT system, but I'm curious if the HQ codec will allow for more.
Also, I'm using a Storm II card now so I'll have to get a separate OHCI card to capture my HDV footage... any fairly cheap hardware suggestions?
I have an Nx machine(dual Xeons) and a 3.2 P4 that I run Edius OHCI....what you want is doable on a P4 and Edius OHCI(two layers HQ plays forever on my P4 and 3 for a while running OHCI) BUT the problem will be capture...a single P4 can't keep up in RT capture from the tape format to HQ. You can capture to the native .m2t fine and then convert to HQ using Procoder express but that is an extra step...take a look at the forum and some like Kevin are doing great with the single dual core pentiums. I keep pluging for them to come up with a less than real time capture solution so Edius OHCI on lower spec machines can work without the trouble of converting...we will see:) It really will surprise you what a single P4 in the 3.x class it will do once you get the HQ on the timeline.
Randy Donato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2005, 06:22 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Donato
I keep pluging for them to come up with a less than real time capture solution so Edius OHCI on lower spec machines can work without the trouble of converting...we will see:) It really will surprise you what a single P4 in the 3.x class it will do once you get the HQ on the timeline.
Hi Randy,

This is exactly why CineForm's Aspect HD captures the M2T in RT, but converts using available horsepower in non-RT...so on smaller systems capture is still possible.

I have to believe that Canopus would have the ability to do the same with a simple software tweak. ("Simple" because I don't have to do it... :-) )
Tim Kolb is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE