Edius users? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE

Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
All flavors of Edius; other Grass Valley / Canopus software & hardware.

Old November 21st, 2017, 09:13 AM   #1
Major Player

Edius users?

Any Edius editors in Atlanta? I am always looking to network. Don't be embarrassed that you use Edius....own up to it! Just look at all the pitiful FCP editors....they don't even have a closet.
I am at Edius 8 Workgroup and considering Edius 9 Workgroup. Don't know if it is worth $400.00.

If there are enough Edius editors in the northeast GA area, it would be great to start a users group!

I know I have an insulting sense of humor but PM me anyway.

Dan Gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2017, 12:47 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Edius users?

I use Premiere but I am in Atlanta so I figured I'd respond despite your humor ;)
Justin Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2017, 04:00 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Gunn View Post
I am at Edius 8 Workgroup and considering Edius 9 Workgroup. Don't know if it is worth $400.00.
Depends if you need a HDR workflow or if you are using a 1950x threadripper, edius 9 uses multiple cores a lot better when encoding, I have quite large performance gains when rendering out HD or 4K files so for me that alone was worth the investment. Not sure yet if edius 9 also benefits intel cpu users as I have not seen any confirmation about that.

The most anticipated feature for me in 9 is automatic audio syncing which I have seen mentioned to be added in the future, this was also mentioned when 8 came out but they unfortunately never got to that.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2017, 10:17 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
automatic audio syncing
- really?? I'm still using Edius 6.5 & pluraleyes for syncing and then editing in 7.5 - I'd be over to 9 in a flash if it had good audio sync - haven't seen if FCP has it and premiere sync is crap
Old November 26th, 2017, 03:01 AM   #5
Inner Circle

indeed: https://www.edius.shop/new_in_edius.html
It's listed at the bottom of that article under planned improvements/updates and says: "a function for synchronizing clips via audio (for multicam editing)"
Not clear though if that is for camerafiles only and maybe not for seperate audiofiles? We"ll have to wait and see.
Old March 14th, 2018, 12:18 AM   #6
Major Player

In Houston but I've been on edius since version 1.
So easy,so fast,no rendering.
Synching audio up takes seconds.
I'm on edius 7.
I probably wouldn't need that audio sync in 9 singer it's effortless to do and takes no time.
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2018, 01:29 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Synching audio up takes seconds.
What do you use to sync your audio? For Edius 9 they have announced that audio syncing eventually will be build in.
Old March 14th, 2018, 07:05 AM   #8
Major Player

I line up the waveforms bring down to a frame to match precisely
It literally takes less than a minute
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2018, 07:49 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I expect Jim is like me and shoots shows. Where cameras start at roughly the same time run till the end of show and then stop it is easy then. If its wedding with several cameras that start and stop at different times it is certainly different !! I have not tried it but I think Resolve also will sync on audio. I am on EDIUS 8WG but also have Vegas 15 and Resolve Studio 14
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2018, 08:57 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Magix VPX and several earlier versions have used audio sync for a few years. I can sync multiple parallel clips in seconds including audio only recordings from my voice recorders. Any audio track can be used as the master and the others synched to it. Not much use to Edius owners though.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2018, 09:07 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I always do my audio in Vegas rather than EDIUS. Vegas has the ability to stretch and squeeze to get audio from different source clocks in sync. Not possible in EDIUS. Just make my master audio in Vegas and take back into EDIUS for multicam editing which EDIUS is much better than any of the others at the moment.
Old March 15th, 2018, 05:08 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
I have not tried it but I think Resolve also will sync on audio
Yes it will auto-sync (Studio and Free version) based on timecode or waveform analysis and with the option to replace or append existing audio track.
Bryan Worsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2018, 06:08 PM   #13
Inner Circle

EDIUS will also sync on timecode.
Old March 17th, 2018, 09:23 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Kuhn View Post
I use Premiere but I am in Atlanta so I figured I'd respond despite your humor ;)
No problem....I am not a bigot! The opportunity to gather and tell war stories would be an acceptable excuse to get past my partner (wife of 50 years).

JoJo
Dan Gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2018, 09:26 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Depends if you need a HDR workflow or if you are using a 1950x threadripper, edius 9 uses multiple cores a lot better when encoding, I have quite large performance gains when rendering out HD or 4K files so for me that alone was worth the investment. Not sure yet if edius 9 also benefits intel cpu users as I have not seen any confirmation about that.

The most anticipated feature for me in 9 is automatic audio syncing which I have seen mentioned to be added in the future, this was also mentioned when 8 came out but they unfortunately never got to that.
I just rebuilt a computer for Edius and now I have cores out my ying-yang !
Dan Gunn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE