BH vs. Adorama - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Great Deals from DV Info Net Sponsors
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Great Deals from DV Info Net Sponsors
Your direct line to authorized DVi software and equipment vendors.

Old March 28th, 2010, 12:50 PM   #16
Sponsor: Adorama

Brett

I was concerned to read your posting and at this point can only apologize for our past failings.; I am more than happy to track down the orders you referred to and ensure that any refund due to you is paid.

If you would like to email me directly with a bit more detail, including any order numbers if possible, I will give it my immediate attention.

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
Everything you wanted to know about Adorama Camera........but didn't know who to ask!

helen.oster@adoramacamera.com
Digital cameras, all other cameras and everything photographic from Adorama Camera
Helen Oster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 02:38 PM   #17
Inner Circle

We purchase from B&H 95% of the time, and only from Adorama if B&H is out of stock or if the price is quite a bit cheaper (rare). We've had zero problem issues with Adorama but also the same for B&H. We prefer B&H.
Old April 14th, 2010, 03:21 PM   #18

Brett

I apologize for missing your posting until now - and of course for your disatisfaction with the service from Adorama in the past.
From your description of your experience, in your position I have little doubt that I would feel the same way. While I absolutely respect your decision to shop elsewhere, I am particularly concerned that you may have lost money through our negligence, and would like the opportunity to put this right.

If you could spare a moment to email me with the order number(s) and a little more information I will give this my immediate attention.

I do look forward to hearing from you.

Helen Oster

helen.oster@adoramacamera.com
Old April 26th, 2010, 11:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis View Post
Thanks Chris. I was really just asking a question about how camera stores market. But thanks again. My memory failed me, I thought Adorama was.
We are, now, Steven!

Helen Oster
Old May 5th, 2010, 12:36 PM   #20
Inner Circle

I just ordered another $3.5K video camera for a friend. No flexibility on their prices (not even on larger orders) but their service is stellar.
Old March 27th, 2011, 01:11 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Re: BH vs. Adorama

I've ordered from both, with more orders towards B&H, but have to say I think they're about the same if you know what you're looking for.

Dan
Daniel Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 01:42 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Posner View Post
B&H considers each price match inquiry individually and even has a sales exec dedicated to this task. We say yes as often as possible and regret when we cannot. We consider a variety of issues including our price and theirs, who the other retailer is (and we check ressellerrsatings.com, which you should also), the total out-the-door pice including required but not included accessories, s&h and so on.
I'm with Steven Davis on this one...When asking about price matching I have never been given an answer other than a flat NO. I'll remember to point out this posting the next time I go to order again...which is soon. Thanks for this information, Henry!
Tom Dickerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 03:30 PM   #23
Regular Crew

From my experience, both Adorama and B+H are about equal in price, speed of delivery, and customer service. Adorama didn't use to be as good as they are now, but have improved. I also go to B+H first, then Adorama if B+H is out of stock.
Jim Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 03:39 PM   #24

I'm pleased to read that you've noticed the improvements, Jim. We've been been working hard!

Clearly we still have a way to go, and I would love to hear from you with any ideas you may have for us to get better still: HelenO@adorama.com
Old March 27th, 2011, 04:18 PM   #25
Inner Circle

The number one aspect, for me, of ordering production equipment online is whether I can trust the website indication of stock. When I place an order Sunday night or Monday morning, it'll arrive on Friday and I'll have it for the weekend. Or, if it's a day later, I can trust the vendor order process to accurately predict when it will arrive with 2 or 3 day shipping. If the website says it's in stock and it's wrong, that vendor becomes unreliable and a source of irritation for me. I'll wait a year before trying them again.

Years ago I had some bad experiences in this regard with Adorama but it's much better now. When I want to order from them now, I still call to check stock and then order on the phone. I hope some day that I can trust the website stock indication, enter the order online, fire and forget. I do like the Adorama filters on their website for shopping.

Returns is an area I'd like to see both vendors upgrade to the system used by Amazon where the shipping label is printed as part of the RMA process and the shipping cost is deducted from the return reimbursement. This saves me a substantial amount of time and influences where I place my order.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 04:31 PM   #26
Inner Circle

When you're in NY visit both they're within walking distance of each other, even on Sunday morning you have to get in line to get in.

I counted 30 at BnH and about 20 at Adorama, great service at both. Have what you want written down or you'll miss your plane.

Cheers.
Old March 28th, 2011, 03:39 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
The number one aspect, for me, of ordering production equipment online is whether I can trust the website indication of stock......
Years ago I had some bad experiences in this regard with Adorama but it's much better now. When I want to order from them now, I still call to check stock and then order on the phone. I hope some day that I can trust the website stock indication, enter the order online, fire and forget. I do like the Adorama filters on their website for shopping.

Returns is an area I'd like to see both vendors upgrade to the system used by Amazon where the shipping label is printed as part of the RMA process and the shipping cost is deducted from the return reimbursement. This saves me a substantial amount of time and influences where I place my order.
Our two greatest barriers to having live inventory are firstly that we sell across a number of portals eg Amazon, buy.com etc. The second, and the most challenging in many respects, is that we don't charge until an order actually ships.
When orders are cancelled by a customer, this occurs typically within the first 45 minutes. I don't have access to any data which would clarify exactly how many orders are placed on the Adorama website each day, or how many of those are cancelled. However, as retailers we are trying to walk a fine line between providing website inventory that is as reliable as possible, without discouraging customers who may believe we don't have an item available to ship, when in fact we do.

An improved system is in the planning stages right now:

http://theframptonfiles.blogspot.com...ail-order.html

Alexander Interactive Building One of the Largest Magento Platform Websites for Leading Online Photo Supply Retailer, Adorama

As you noted above, the most reliable indication is to call an order in.

In relation to your comment about return shipping costs, Adorama offers an extremely generous 30-day returns period. In addition, if an item is faulty or not as advertised, then we will always email you a pre-paid returns label which you can print off.

Your suggestion that we should also offer pre-printed labels for the return of non-faulty items and then deduct the cost from the refund is an interesting one, which I have forwarded to the Operations Manager for consideration. Thank you!
Old April 2nd, 2011, 12:27 AM   #28
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Oster View Post
Now that I know who to ask... Why won't Adorama's Ebay store ship to Canada while the regular store will?
Old April 2nd, 2011, 05:27 AM   #29
Major Player

Both are excellent in every regard, IMHO. B&H definitely has a far more extensive physical store and it is much more fun to browse. While Adorama is moving more into the ranges of pro video, the B&H Studio not only sells but also has on display high end products with knowledgeable staff. But here is a customer service story about Adorama that I have never experienced at B&H. Last year I wanted a Canon T2i just as they were being introduced. B&H said to keep checking for stock or just click Notify When In Stock on the web site. I then walked over to Adorama where the sales rep said that more were coming shortly. Two days later he phoned me to tell me that he had already put one aside for me. I consider that superb service for a large retailer to be that attentive to a small sale.
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 09:06 AM   #30
Major Player

I have ordered from Adorama a few times when they had items on sale or with free shipping that B&H didn't and I had no problems. Having said that though I have been doing business with B&H for years and have never had a single issue with any order. B&H is my go to source for Video production needs. Their selection is unbeatable and I have 100% confidence when I order that the products are legit (not gray market) and B&H will be there to stand behind the order.

One really cool thing about B&H is that you can go online and look at your order history going back years. It helps if you are trying to remember the brand or model of some piece of equipment you purchases.
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Great Deals from DV Info Net Sponsors