BH vs. Adorama - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Great Deals from DV Info Net Sponsors

Great Deals from DV Info Net Sponsors
Your direct line to authorized DVi software and equipment vendors.

Old April 10th, 2011, 06:21 PM   #46
Obstreperous Rex

Re: BH vs. Adorama

I'm a big fan of these business precisely because they put faith and family first. Some things after all are more important than making money. I'm sure that they're as grateful as I am to live in a country that allows them to run their business as they see fit, and to observe their faith in whatever way they choose.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2011, 07:13 PM   #47
Regular Crew

Well call me informed. I had no idea this was the reason for the stores being closed during what I would consider normal business hours. Thanks for enlightening me.

And you're right Chris, we do live in a country that allows us rights we some times take for granted. Just take a look at all the conflict in the world right now and be thankful.
Kirk Candlish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 07:18 AM   #48
sponsor: B&H Photo-Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
No its owned by orthodox Jewish and hire mostly ppl of that sect. They are not open for business on Saturday and any orthodox holiday, which is completely in their right just inconvenient for the rest of us. I don't mind the Saturdays, its when they shut down for 3 weeks and I really need something. I believe Adorama is also the same.
Helen Oster's post was right on the button. Thank you Helen.

More precisely, B&H is owned by an orthodox (Hasidic) Jewish gentleman. We hire Hasidic and non-Hasidic, orthodox and non-orthodox, Jewish and non-Jewish alike.

The Sabbath rule, basically says no commerce by our owner's company; the whole company. You can read more about that at Shabbat and about activities prohibited on Shabbat at Activities prohibited on Shabbat
Old April 11th, 2011, 07:44 AM   #49
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Posner View Post
Helen Oster's post was right on the button. Thank you Helen.

More precisely, B&H is owned by an orthodox (Hasidic) Jewish gentleman. We hire Hasidic and non-Hasidic, orthodox and non-orthodox, Jewish and non-Jewish alike.

The Sabbath rule, basically says no commerce by our owner's company; the whole company. You can read more about that at Shabbat and about activities prohibited on Shabbat at Activities prohibited on Shabbat
I respect the religious views and practices of B&H and Adorama. Everyone is free to practice their own religion at least in a few countries where we live.

I am happy that there are messages on the website which helps us in planning our purchases. Though I am based in India, I have been purchasing a lot of my equipment from B&H. I have heard great things about Adorama, but never purchased from it. Just now I ordered the Oconnor 1030 HD fluid head and it was not available in Adorama. I ordered from B&H. I am very happy that the representatives of these two businesses are active in this forum.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi
Old April 11th, 2011, 09:43 PM   #50
Major Player

I go to these stores in the city all the time, and I like them both for their strengths. B&H has everything, Adorama has a lot. B&H is more likely to have any particular item, but sometimes Adorama has special items I wouldnt even expect to be able to buy besides on ebay. Also I've found occasionally Adorama just has a great deal on a particular item, sometimes memory cards or something and I also generally find their location more convenient. On the other hand, B&H more generally has equal or lower prices, and their store is like another world. You can go to B&H and try any lens or camera you want sometimes on the floor and otherwise from one of like 60 sales stations. You can try lenses at Adorama, but they have to get them sent up from the warehouse rather than just pull it off the wall near them.

I bought some Diva-light knockoffs that somehow Adorama carried that were a steal for the price and no one else had. But B&H is definitely my choice for trying out cameras, lights, lenses since their showroom is huge.

I used to live 2 blocks from Adorama so I grew somewhat comfortable with them, and I've been using their ridiculously cheap rental department a lot lately. What do you guys recommend as a backup on friday/saturday when neither is open? Are there any stores that compare?
Noah Yuan-Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2011, 01:02 AM   #51
Sponsor: Adorama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Yuan-Vogel View Post

What do you guys recommend as a backup on friday/saturday when neither is open? Are there any stores that compare?
Adorama is certainly open on Fridays!
The rental department:
Friday 8:00 am to 2:30 pm (Weekend Rentals are due back by Monday 9:30 am)

The store:
Friday 9:00 am to 3:00pm
Old April 12th, 2011, 04:56 AM   #52
Regular Crew

Good thread.

I had an issue with Adorama quite a few years back when I was still lusting for the best consumer camera I could afford. -- I've been using B&H ever since for most everything (We don't have any local shops worth a darn here)

I had my first blood pressure minute with B&H last week. I needed another Schoeps CMC641 mic and figured I should go ahead and buy a matched set. B&H didn't have any matched sets listed so I made contact to see if they might be willing to sell them, and maybe quote me price. After not being able to get an answer after a few days, my wife encouraged me to go ahead and just buy the single unit figuring it would be matched close enough for our current project. -- I'm glad I took her advice, later that day the unit price jumped up by $200. I couldn't help but feel like I asked a question that maybe I shouldn't have. I know business is business but Oh-Boy would I have been mad if I got price bumped while waiting for an answer.

I don't begrudge B&H and I'm very happy with their products and service. I suppose it's time I get over my incident with Adorama oh so long ago as well.

We're just a small shop and we're still building our resources. I've been up tonight trying to figure out more lighting for our chroma key set up. I'll head over and have look at Adorama.
Mark Wheelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2011, 05:24 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wheelan View Post

I had an issue with Adorama quite a few years back when I was still lusting for the best consumer camera I could afford........I suppose it's time I get over my incident with Adorama oh so long ago as well
In truth, your loss of faith in us was probably with just cause.
As recently as 2005 our feedback at resellerratings.com was a miserable 3.75/10....now we're up to 9.55/10!

Still a little way to go to that perfect 10, but headed in the right direction.....
Old April 12th, 2011, 01:50 PM   #54
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Oster View Post
In truth, your loss of faith was .....
I can't even remember what is was anymore, I think this was around 2000-02. I'm sure I had my part in it, I used to get upset a lot easier than do these days.
Mark Wheelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2011, 06:07 PM   #55
Regular Crew

I ordered an item today on line from Adorama, which showed in stock, and went out for a while fat, dumb and happy. When I got back I had an email informing me that it was on backorder. Why isn’t the web site real time like B&H? Needless to say I ordered from B&H but I lost a day in shipping because now I could not get my order in early enough to ship the same day.
Norm Rehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2011, 02:38 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Rehm View Post
.........Why isn’t the web site real time like B&H? ....
My apologies for your disappointment, and I can explain:

One reason is that we don't only sell goods via our own website, but through a number pf partners such as Amazon and buy.com. Another is because we don't charge until an order actually ships. These two issues give rise to complexities which up 'til now we haven't been able to fix.

However, this is set to change once the new website is up and running:

http://theframptonfiles.blogspot.com...ail-order.html

Alexander Interactive Building One of the Largest Magento Platform Websites for Leading Online Photo Supply Retailer, Adorama
Old April 13th, 2011, 08:51 AM   #57
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Oster View Post
My apologies for your disappointment, and I can explain:

One reason is that we don't only sell goods via our own website, but through a number pf partners such as Amazon and buy.com. Another is because we don't charge until an order actually ships. These two issues give rise to complexities which up 'til now we haven't been able to fix.

However, this is set to change once the new website is up and running:

http://theframptonfiles.blogspot.com...ail-order.html

Alexander Interactive Building One of the Largest Magento Platform Websites for Leading Online Photo Supply Retailer, Adorama
If I call my order in will the sales person be able to tell me if it is in stock?
Norm Rehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2011, 09:02 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Rehm View Post
If I call my order in will the sales person be able to tell me if it is in stock?
Certainly he will; just make certain you request confirmation that the item is in stock and ready to ship.
Old April 13th, 2011, 12:13 PM   #59
Regular Crew

Perhaps a little off-topic, but since Helen from Adorama is so helpful with responses...
I posted a review of a product I bought online from Adorama, and I got the verification email from powerreview.com, but my review is not posted. Is this because it was a negative review or does it take more than a day to see the post? The review was on the Bescor LED-150. Thanks.
Jim Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2011, 12:18 PM   #60

We DO post the negative reviews - I know that for sure because they end up on my desk!! However, I'm not actually sure how long they take to appear.

If you'd like to drop me an email detailing the problems you found with the light, then I can look at right away, rather than waiting 'til it comes up: Helen@adorama.com

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Great Deals from DV Info Net Sponsors