BH vs. Adorama - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Great Deals from DV Info Net Sponsors
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Great Deals from DV Info Net Sponsors
Your direct line to authorized DVi software and equipment vendors.

Old April 3rd, 2011, 07:39 AM   #31
Sponsor: Adorama

Re: BH vs. Adorama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
Now that I know who to ask... Why won't Adorama's Ebay store ship to Canada while the regular store will?
We'd like to, but because Ebay's feedback system enables a customer to kill a retailer's ratings if they are unhappy about shipping costs, (which are higher to Canada) we've chosen for the time being not to ship outside the US.

This is under review, but in the meantime you should be able to find the same items via the Adorama store.

I hope this helps but please don't hesitate to email me directly if I can help with anything particular.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 08:05 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Soltz View Post
..... Last year I wanted a Canon T2i just as they were being introduced. B&H said to keep checking for stock or just click Notify When In Stock on the web site. I then walked over to Adorama where the sales rep said that more were coming shortly. Two days later he phoned me to tell me that he had already put one aside for me. I consider that superb service for a large retailer to be that attentive to a small sale.
I'd love to know who that was, so I could share it with his manager - if you can remember.....
Old April 4th, 2011, 12:50 PM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Oster View Post
I'd love to know who that was, so I could share it with his manager - if you can remember.....
I'll dig up the file and let you know...
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 05:23 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Both my experiences with B&H and Adorama were good. Loved going into the B&H store. With regard to Adorama, I bought my Glidecam online and they shipped to an address that shipped it to me in Trinidad and Tobago. I've had no problems at all, and now am glad to see that they're on an upward trend!!
Helen Habib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 05:16 AM   #35

Quote:
With regard to Adorama, I bought my Glidecam online and they shipped to an address that shipped it to me in Trinidad and Tobago. I've had no problems at all,
Delighted to hear it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Habib View Post
......am glad to see that they're on an upward trend!!
Us too; looking back at our feedback from resellerratings, in June 2005 we limped home with a miserable 3.79/10.
Today, we're right up to 9.54 / 10. Still a little way to go to a 'perfect 10', but as you say, headed in the right direction!
Old April 7th, 2011, 03:09 PM   #36
Trustee

I have to admit, I've had great luck with both retailers.
However most of the time I find myself ordering from B&H, as they rarely are out of stock on something. And most importantly to me I generally get my shipments (regular UPS Ground shipping, just so you know) in 1-2 days.

Lately I have been getting my orders in 1 days time, which I find simply amazing. I know that B&H is in NY and I'm in DC and they're close and all. But how in the world is B&H able to process the order and get it sent out so quickly.
Old April 8th, 2011, 07:44 AM   #37
sponsor: B&H Photo-Video

Thanks. Our shipping department manager got his Masters degree from Hogwarts. :-)
Old April 8th, 2011, 07:56 AM   #38
Trustee

Ahh, that explains it.

So I gather UPS are no longer using trucks, but flying brooms? =)
Old April 8th, 2011, 10:24 PM   #39
Regular Crew

I get really tired of site banners saying essentially 'we can't do business right now.'

I always compare the prices and I've saved money buying from Adorama many times over the last several years.
Kirk Candlish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2011, 07:02 PM   #40
Inner Circle

I once complained about this on another site, my post was labeled as anti-semitic and removed despite writing my criticism as politely as possible. I don't comment on it anymore but I'd feel the same about any large business that closely aligned with any sect of religion.

That said B&H provides unmatched selection, service and price. I only buy from Adorama when I can't get it at B&H.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2011, 09:00 PM   #41
Regular Crew

I wasn't referring to the religious influence. That I respect and have no problem with.

I frequently have seen banners saying 'our store is closed for X hours and we will resume business at a specified time. I'm assuming this is due to some other aspect of their business management.
Kirk Candlish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2011, 09:22 PM   #42
Inner Circle

No its owned by orthodox Jewish and hire mostly ppl of that sect. They are not open for business on Saturday and any orthodox holiday, which is completely in their right just inconvenient for the rest of us. I don't mind the Saturdays, its when they shut down for 3 weeks and I really need something. I believe Adorama is also the same.
Old April 10th, 2011, 07:26 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
.......I believe Adorama is also the same.
At Adorama we do appreciate that our closing times can be inconvenient to some of our potential customers.
Adorama's owner is an observant orthodox Jewish gentleman, whose beliefs prohibit him - his family and his business - from operating on the Sabbath and on many of the religious holidays (which all begin an hour prior to sunset the evening before the day of the holiday, which is why we close early on Fridays).

We can't employ non-Jews here during those days, (although we employ many non-Jewish people during the year), because to do so would involve the company conducting business - which is forbidden in Jewish Law.

Most holidays are actually only one or two days; two are week-long holidays (not 3 weeks). We do try to minimize inconvenience to our customers, by publicizing our closing dates well in advance.
After the holiday(s) end(s), we do reopen our sales and shipping departments as soon as possible in order to deal with the inevitable backlog of orders.
We also take on additional staff in the customer service, sales and shipping departments if necessary to help reduce backlogs and speed up the service to our customers.

In this era of 24-hour commerce which seems to take for granted that we all sleep with our i-phones under our pillows and work a relentless 60 or 70 hours a week, this is a special time for us to be with family and friends.
I guess it's unusual to find that there really are still people who consider their spiritual duty to be more important than making an honest buck out of our customers at every opportunity. I receive frequent emails from customers who state that in this day and age it is comforting to know there are people around who do not place money before all else.

Many businesses in the US and elsewhere in the world force employees to work on holidays when the time is better spent with their friends and families - or just relaxing by themselves

We are grateful for the understanding of our customers that this is an important element of our owner's value system. Perhaps the following links to articles in the Washington Post & the New York Times will help to make some sense of our closure policies:

Ruling Guides Orthodox Sites' Sabbath Sales - WSJ.com

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/09/te...=1&oref=slogin

Now would be a good time to remind you that next week is Passover. Our Store and offices will be closed from Monday, April 18th at 1pm thru Tuesday, April 26th. There will be website order availability April 21st from 10-5, April 22nd and April 24th from 10-3pm; all other departments will be closed.

All order placed by 4/18 12:00 PM will ship before the holiday (subject to verification delays); orders placed after 12:00 on the April 18th thru April 24th at 11.00 will be guaranteed to be delivered by Friday April 29th. *Please note, this guarantee does not apply for orders with the free shipping option selected and it excludes PayPal, BML & Google orders. Amazon order won't get this offer either. Customers will be notified of this during checkout and will be advised to use different payments method to qualify.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Last edited by Helen Oster; April 10th, 2011 at 08:11 AM.
Helen Oster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2011, 09:06 AM   #44
Inner Circle

Thanks for a thorough explanation. The only time its an issue is if a piece of equipment breaks without warning and I need a quick replacement.

Btw, I have had many positive shopping experiences with Adorama in the past. And I feel Adorama has tried its best to match B&H service.
Old April 10th, 2011, 09:17 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post

Btw, I have had many positive shopping experiences with Adorama in the past. And I feel Adorama has tried its best to match B&H service.
Good to hear!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Great Deals from DV Info Net Sponsors