2/3" and 1080--not good enough? - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema

HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema
Various topics: HD, UHD (2K / 4K) Digital Cinema acquisition to distribution.

Old October 18th, 2009, 02:21 AM   #61
Major Player

My take on the whole discussion is that people tend to forget about the art and focus on the technology of image making.

I think that this is because "1080/24p" or "4k" is easier to master than the art of lighting. Camera profiles are easier to try and manipulate than planning coverage and designing good shots that serve the story and draw an audience in.

Does 4K matter? Absolutely. If you are finishing for theatrical presentation. When finishing at 2k or 1080p for theatrical presentation you need significant oversampling, to me that is what a "4k" camera like RED provides.

In my mind 35mm sensors are a good thing, but almost exclusively for film style productions, where the shots can be designed. When ineffectively used 35mm sensors, and their inherent DoF qualities, can distract the audience and muddle the message.

One thing to bear in mind- the value of many of these digital cinema cameras is the dynamic range of the sensors and the color sampling that they record. Those things matter far more to me than 4K or even 35mm sensors. (and I am so attached to 35mm sensors.)

So, is 2/3" and 1080p enough? Absolutely yes, for many productions. The vast majority I'd suggest.

I have a shoot coming up where 1080p 2/3" would be ideal, but I'll shoot either 1/2" 1080p or RED because that's what's available. 1/2" gives too large a DoF, and RED is just overdoing it for this show. An F23 would be overkill too. An XDCAM F800 or an HPX3700 would be the ticket.

C'est la vie.
Old October 18th, 2009, 03:37 AM   #62
Inner Circle

I haven't heard of first camera man, but lighting cameraman (or I guess cameraperson these days), was extremely popular in the UK (and other places in the world), especially in television, until DP or DOP spread out of feature films and commercials into other areas. They basically do the same jobs and a few features have a "lighting cameraman" rather than "director of photography".

Last time I looked the BBC credits guidelines only allow director of photography on dramas, although it that didn't stop one company giving that credit on a life style programme for BBC regional television.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 07:47 PM   #63
Tourist

What if?

So here's an interesting question for you all, then. If a camera existed that gave you say 12 f-stops of latitude (>72dB), recorded in 12-bit RAW or CineformRAW, 2/3" optical format, full 1920x1080 at 60fps max for around $15k, would you buy it? Not to mention overcranking and undercranking up to 240fps in lower resolutions. Food for thought.
Matt K. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 01:54 AM   #64
Inner Circle

Why, are you planning to make one? If it was CCD rather than CMOS so much the better. If so, yes, I'll have one.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 03:52 AM   #65
Inner Circle

Given good ergonomics there would be a lot of interest from those people who make productions that don't have fast turn around requirements of many TV productions.
Old November 12th, 2009, 08:15 AM   #66
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K. Miller View Post
So here's an interesting question for you all, then. If a camera existed that gave you say 12 f-stops of latitude (>72dB), recorded in 12-bit RAW or CineformRAW, 2/3" optical format, full 1920x1080 at 60fps max for around $15k, would you buy it? Not to mention overcranking and undercranking up to 240fps in lower resolutions. Food for thought.
Over the past 5 or so years on these forums I've seen many nice spec sheets but very few delivered products. Unless you've got a working piece of hardware ready to beta test, I've got no interest.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 10:36 AM   #67
Inner Circle

Ethan, couldn't agree more. Where's the Ikonoskop by the way?
Steve
Old November 12th, 2009, 11:44 AM   #68
Inner Circle

A cameraman in Australia is using one, I'm not sure if it's part of a beta testing process, but it's out there.

Last edited by Brian Drysdale; November 12th, 2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old November 12th, 2009, 12:11 PM   #69
Inner Circle

Last time I checked the Ikonoskop forum people were getting totally upset that they were getting no feedback at all on progress or anything to do with delivery dates - worse than RED even!
Steve
Old November 12th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #70
Trustee

In their defense, they're not nearly as well backed financially as Red.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema