4k/uhd blu-ray burners at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema

HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema
Various topics: HD, UHD (2K / 4K) Digital Cinema acquisition to distribution.

Old September 23rd, 2016, 02:22 AM   #1
Major Player

4k/uhd blu-ray burners

Any sign of these yet? I can shoot UHD, can edit UHD, have a UHD TV and would like to burn UHD to disc and then play it.

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2016, 06:15 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: 4k/uhd blu-ray burners

Haven't seen any UHD Blu-Ray recordable media, nor a burner. Only a few players available.
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2016, 09:01 AM   #3
Major Player

Obviously out there somewhere if only in the hands of commercial producers as easy enough to buy a "4K" BD movie.

Ron
Old September 23rd, 2016, 10:41 AM   #4
Major Player

I believe the commercial production companies "press" the discs, they don't burn them. Not sure what the hold up is for us little people, I thought it was anticipated they would be selling burners by early 2016. Hope it's not about a disagreement on the disc format. One time was enough!

W,out!
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2016, 02:45 PM   #5
Major Player

I would guess these UHD Bluray 4K players will play 4K media files burned and "authored" to regular Bluray discs (or even a thumb drive) and it would play correctly in 4K.

I just looked at the Panasonic UHD Bluray manual online: ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/bluray/om/dmp-ub900_en_om.pdf and it plays all kinds of formats. Nice.
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2016, 11:11 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. Chu View Post
I would guess these UHD Bluray 4K players will play 4K media files burned and "authored" to regular Bluray discs (or even a thumb drive) and it would play correctly in 4K.
Yes. The media for burning a 4k blu-ray is a BD-R, just like for standard blu-ray. The Blu-ray spec includes 3840×2160p 59.94p. Note that's QHD, not true 4k. Not that it matters that much.

So all you need for media are BD-Rs through four layer BD-XLs. For playback you just need one of the new gen. players that can handle QHD. Pannasonic, Samsung, etc. have them on the market already.

As to burning... different story. A quick search of the "usual suspects" didn't turn a single QHD/UHD burner. Pioneer has a nice quad-layer burner, but it doesn't yet support the QHD specs.

Such is the bleeding edge of technology. I'm sure a decent burner is "right around the corner" like always. ;-)
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2017, 03:30 AM   #7
Major Player

Any recent developments? I have a top-specced Macbook Pro Retina, but a 2013 model so no UHD output.

My similar age iMac does output UHD but is hardly portable.

I seem to be faced with having to buy a newer Macbook , which I don't otherwise need, unless there is or will be, soon, a UHD BD burner aimed at the consumer market.

Ron
Old March 13th, 2017, 03:09 PM   #8
Major Player

Take a look:

http://view.email.sel.sony.com/?qs=9...037e37a9218197
Dan Gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2017, 01:25 AM   #9
Major Player

Interesting but not what I'm after which is a UHD BD burner at an affordable price. There must be commercial ones out there but as far as I know no consumer one, yet.

Ron

ps just purchased a used Macbook Air 11 incher which outputs a UHD signal to my TV and is portable enough.
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema