VIP: Removing Green Tint with Thomson Viper Film Stream at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema
Various topics: HD, UHD (2K / 4K) Digital Cinema acquisition to distribution.

Old November 20th, 2006, 01:35 PM   #1
New Boot

VIP: Removing Green Tint with Thomson Viper Film Stream

I've been looking into using the Viper to start my feature now and then move on to the RED (at 2k) once its available for rent. The only thing that has me concerned about the Viper, is the green tint the image gets when shooting in Film Stream mode. Now, I've never actually Color-Corrected anything in my life; What would I have to do to remove that green tint (other than Magenta Filters infront of the camera, reducing the excess green.) in a NLE, or should I use something more specific to do this? Never using a camera like this, with RAW data instead of white balanced images, I have no idea how to go about getting the image to look right. So any help, would be appreciated.

P.S. I'm sure I will get a post-production supervisour and tech. that knows what they're doing, but I'd like some kind of idea of what needs to be done, so I can actually communicate with them on the same terms.

Last edited by Andrew Mcarrick; November 20th, 2006 at 02:25 PM.
Andrew Mcarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2006, 02:00 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Andrew,

I suggest you get hold of the latest Showreel magazine
http://www.showreel.org/

Excellent articles on 2K workflow including color correcting in post or on set and Viper workflow.
The previous issue has an indepth article by Geoff Boyle the creator of CML on working with the Viper.

If you're in pre-production spend some time with the rental house supplying your kit. They would of dealt with enough productions to advise you what works and what doesn't and will have enough war stories that they will save you time and money on set.

Do the same with the post house. Plan now and avoid budget blow outs later.

Good luck.
Scott Webster is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema