CSI: Any info on the next gen. of Canon? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema

HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema
Various topics: HD, UHD (2K / 4K) Digital Cinema acquisition to distribution.

Old January 19th, 2007, 06:17 PM   #1
Major Player

CSI: Any info on the next gen. of Canon?

Any information on the next generation of Canon cameras as yet? Ive been hearing murmurs concerning a model up from the H1?
Tyson Perkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 07:23 AM   #2
Trustee

I hope not. I haven't even paid for my H1 yet...
Bruce S. yarock
www.yarock.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 08:49 AM   #3
Inner Circle

A new 'generation' might be a while off. I can see some variants, a few more bells and whistles - broader lens selection maybe. Perhaps some aspects migrating 'down' into consumer models... but a 'generation' of develpments will wait for the next big technological breakthrough.

And I think that's all about storage. Getting UNCOMPRESSED HD down into manageable CHEAP storage is the next 'generation'. Some might argue it's here... but that's what forums are for. When someone comes up with a way t record uncompressed HD on a disc/chip/plate/saucer that will store an hour for about twenty five dollars... you'll see a "new generation" of cameras being developed around it.

The more I think about it, RED is the 'next generation' in HD. And you still have storage issues. But when RED hits the market mainstream, that MIGHT prompt some redevelopment on the part of the big companies... it will be exciting to see.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 09:46 AM   #4
Regular Crew

an XL-H1s maybe?
Jeremiah McLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 09:53 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock
I hope not. I haven't even paid for my H1 yet...
Bruce S. yarock
www.yarock.com
I haven't paid for mine or yours completely either!

:)
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 10:22 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Jeremiah,

I wouldn't see an 's' version of the XLH1 as a 'new' generation... the original topic of the post. Any slight modifications to the cam would constitute the 's' designation. (Or 'a' or 'b' or whatever)

An entirely 'new generation' would require a radical change in technology, format or aquisition medium. Like going from SD to HDV.
Old January 20th, 2007, 11:21 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Can't understand why Canon don't produce another slightly more expensive model in addition to the H1 which doesn't use HDV. They would seriously compete with the Sonys and Panasonics of this world.
Andrew Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 11:35 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I'm not following you Andrew. More expensive than what? The XL2? The move is on towards various forms of HD in the industry. Canon has already stated that the XL2 will be it's last SD model. Are you suggesting they make 1/3inch SD model? That wouldn't make much sense at this point. No, the next 'generation' will be defined by what RED is able to accomplish, and whoever designs an inexpensive storage solution for UNCOMPRESSED HD.
Old January 20th, 2007, 12:20 PM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Davies
They would seriously compete with the Sonys and Panasonics of this world.
Keep in mind that Sony and Panasonic are two of Canon's best customers (Canon is one of the industry's primary suppliers of broadcast video lenses).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 05:33 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Perkins
Any information on the next generation of Canon cameras as yet? Ive been hearing murmurs concerning a model up from the H1?
Im guessing Summer 08 :-) IMO it will probably be just a few tweeks here and there, nothing major.
John DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 10:01 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Alvarez
the next 'generation' will be defined by ... whoever designs an inexpensive storage solution for UNCOMPRESSED HD.
Why does anyone need UNCOMPRESSED HD? If you can not tolerate lossy compression artifacts, why not use lossless compression?

Best,
Christopher
Christopher Glaeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 10:27 PM   #12
Obstreperous Rex

Agreed -- it's the Law of Diminishing Returns. Why would anyone need uncompressed, when a variety of very efficient high-quality lossless codecs already exist? The future isn't uncompressed HD, but the exact opposite... higher compression and lower bit rates.

The advantage of the raw uncompressed HD output over SDI available on the XL H1 (and XH A1) isn't the fact that it's uncompressed, but rather that it's so easily recordable by a variety of VTRs in various compressed formats... HDCAM, DVCPRO HD, etc.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 05:29 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Richard, I was referring to another model more expensive than the H1 that doesn't have the limitations of HDV compression. It would have to have a form of compression comparable to that used by the more pro cameras that would allow for broadcast quality.
Andrew Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 04:09 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Davies
more expensive than the H1 that doesn't have the limitations of HDV compression.
Well, didn't we only need a portable device which stored (and compressed) the HD-SDI signal on hard disk? For example, a (reasonably priced and)portable version of the Wafian recorder with Cineform codec or eqv. would immediately make the HDV tape recorder of the XL H1 unemployed. In my view the HD-SDI is one of the best features of the camera; There is a chance XL H1 remains a high quality camera for a good time.

The new SI concept is rather interesting in suggesting that maybe in the future there will be separated camera and storage units. If so, then it will be up to the user to to decide which HD bandwith is used to store the signal.
Lauri Kettunen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 10:30 AM   #15
Major Player

I think that it's possible, after the introduction of the Sony HVR-V1, that there may be an intermediate "s" version that utilizes chips capable of true 24p capture.. This would not require a major manufaturing retool, and would probably sell well even to people who already own an H1... But it could happen with the A1 first...

As for tapeless options, we're probably stuck with HDV for a while, even if it is recorded to a drive.. but it's not all that bad actually... Portable HD-SDI recording sollutions will probably come to the aftermarket before Canon builds them...
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema