Helping Hands from 2013 - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Helping Hands
Post a job, find a job, hire a crew, join a crew... seek out and deploy!

Closed Thread

Old November 8th, 2013, 07:52 PM   #166
Major Player

re: Helping Hands from 2014

I could not agree more and honestly hope we can keep the "shoot for credit" mentality elsewhere.
Old November 9th, 2013, 02:43 PM   #167
Major Player

Re: Dance recital-Boston area

I have the date open. Please contact at jim@jmnproductions.com with details if you haven't found anyone yet. Thanks.
Old November 11th, 2013, 01:44 PM   #168
Regular Crew

Camera Operator in Connecticut

We need a camera op to do shoots in fairfield county, CT. This would be an on going relationship.

These are for high end real estate shoots. Lots of slowly moving wide shots. DOF details, clean lenses, and correctly exposed images are a must (yes we have to say this).

There are several different types of shoots…range form $75 to $100+ an hr. Usually only about 2-3hrs per. project.

It's a plus if you have your own gear for dolly shots. Our camera of choice FS100/700 (Three of our ops shoot with them) but it isn't required. A 14mm wide prime also a big plus.

Camera operator shows up to shoot location. Meets with client (client skills a must). After the shoot, the footage is uploaded via DropBox to our editing team (FCPX also a plus…although NO EDITING IS REQUIRED.)

Here is an example of the top end version of our product:

Please contact:
Lathe
lpoland@thescenelab.com
Old November 11th, 2013, 01:54 PM   #169
Regular Crew

Remote FCPX Editor needed

We need an experienced editor to handle 1:30 to 3:00 min TRT edits. Workflow is FCPX. File delivery is via our DropBox Business class account. Turn around would need to be four business days after you received the files. We would provide the generator files for all bumpers and L3's.

Pay ranges between $100 to $500 depending on project complexity.

Here is an example of the typical edit.

Please contact:
Lathe
lpoland@thescenelab.com
Old November 12th, 2013, 12:58 PM   #170
Regular Crew

Come on guys, they said you get 'perks" too...

lol
Old November 12th, 2013, 01:01 PM   #171
Regular Crew

Re: Remote FCPX Editor needed

Hey there, I'm very interested. I work on FCPX and can turn these around as fast as you can send them to me. Here is some of my work:

I shoot and edit for a broadcast news television station and run my own production company.

Brian Bechard
Landmark Media
Old November 12th, 2013, 06:06 PM   #172
Major Player

the day "perks" pays the bills I'll be all over stuff like this :)
Old November 13th, 2013, 05:39 PM   #173
Major Player

CAMERA OP near Boston on 11/22

Friday 11/22 in the afternoon (exact time TBD). The actual location is south of Boston, towards Kingston.

Should only be an hour or 2. Will just be a person talking to camera and then demonstrating how to correctly fit a ski helmet on a child. Will need a few different angles.

Footage will need to be sent to me for editing. There is a quick turnaround needed, so I ask that it be sent out the same day if possible. If you send a drive or card, it will be returned promptly. Or if there's not a lot of footage, maybe it can be dropbox'd or FTP'd.

This is a paid gig, just not very well paid. I've been told there's "a few hundred dollars" for the whole job (including my editing), so if anyone is interested in doing the shooting, we'll split whatever I can get out of them. I will try for $400 and hopefully at least get $300 (I will figure all that out when I find someone).

They realize it's low budget, so if a camera person just shows up with a camera and lav mic (or boom), and just uses available lighting, that will be fine.
Old November 13th, 2013, 11:08 PM   #174
Major Player

Uh, I'm confused. As I read their policies, KickStarter clearly prohibits non-profit projects. They do that so they aren't inundated with them.

So if you shoot this project for free, you can also count on it not being seen by anyone.

Don't get me wrong: I've done my share of pro bono work for good causes. But you've got to draw the line somewhere. It seems like everyone wants everything done for free, nowadays. For some reason lots of folks think what they do for a living has value, but what we do doesn't.

Curious: Why don't YOU shoot it, Stephen?

Last edited by Charles Newcomb; November 13th, 2013 at 11:11 PM. Reason: afterthought
Old November 14th, 2013, 10:12 AM   #175
Inner Circle

It is not so flash over here for a few in Western Australia either.

It is interesting to see the rental for the RED EPIC compared to the ALEXA in our local vendor's rate card.

http://locequip.squarespace.com/stor...ary%202013.pdf

LEMAC over east were renting rent their REDs cheaper than the SI2K. Apparently the SI2K's were still going out at that higher price. They have become a bit discreet with their rate card these days with the higher rent stuff being listed POA.

Lemac Rentals - Digital Cinema

There are quite a few RED EPICS and SCARLETS here in Perth and some of the owners let gear and themselves out for unsustainably low rates, which I guess our local vendor is forced to compete against.

Here, nobody wants the SI2Ks anymore except for projects the owners become personally involved in or if we are prepared to give them and our time away for free which we will not do.

Some aspiring crew guys also let themselves out for unsustainably low rates as well. In the small contained industry here, it hurts those who have made it their livelihood. There is no guarantee of employer loyalty when the cargo plane comes home and their career takes off.

Among some of the up and comers, there seems to be this "entitlement" thing going. Then there are some who are really warrant being around. - There have been one or two contest projects I have helped out a bit in my limited fashion when it is obvious they are going to wing it with subpar gear and no rental vendor is going to lose out.

The moneymen will screw people down to the cheapest deal. That's their craft. That's what they do. If the new people line up to unsustainably hawk themselves and their hard-won equipment for near to free, the moneymen are not about to discourage them. It has been happening in the transport industry for years.

Last edited by Bob Hart; November 14th, 2013 at 10:19 AM. Reason: error
Old November 17th, 2013, 02:06 PM   #176
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

My thoughts on working for free are in my blog...

Part two is here:
When Should I Work For Free? Part Two | Road Dog Media

Part one is pretty tongue in cheek...
Old November 18th, 2013, 10:43 AM   #177
Major Player

DC/NoVA - shooter/producer needed for Travel Channel show

Due to a family emergency I need to find a shooter/producer for two days of shooting this weekend in Manassas. If interested, please contact me via email, mcbob at mcbob.tv with reel and contact info. Shooting on PMW200, so extra gear earnings if you have that (local rentals possible otherwise). Thanks
Old November 19th, 2013, 11:46 AM   #178
Regular Crew

NYC/NJ - Corp. event shooters, C100/300

Hi all,

Looking to get in touch with those in the area who are interested in being part of a small team to shoot a couple live corp events Dec/Jan.

Must be familiar with C100 w/Atomos Ninja and/or C300 acquisition. Must also have experience shooting live events as part of a team. Would need to see a reel and get a list of your experience. This will be a paying gig but I'm not sure how much just yet. Still waiting to hear from the client how long and in-depth they want this to be.

Experience with lighting, audio a plus. Your own gear a huge plus too.

Feel free to message me here so we can get in touch. Thanks!
Old November 21st, 2013, 11:06 PM   #179
Regular Crew

Elite video ninjas needed for music and gaming festival ...

Hello.

This is an invitation to elite video ninjas who come equipped and would like to get involved with an awesome event in the DC metro area. The event is called MAGFEST! A unique music and gaming festival that can only be described as an awesomely nerdy good time!

I’m the department head for MAGmedia, a newly re-formed department within MAGFest that’s responsible for shooting and distributing coverage of the event. Partly for promotional purposes, but more to share the event beyond the event itself.

This is not a paid gig, but I can provide certain benefits. Those who commit to volunteering will receive all the benefits of our regular staff/volunteers. This includes free admission, free food and free shared-accommodations for the duration of the event.

Additionally, MAGFest is a tremendously unique event with countless amazing things to shoot. It’s like “demo candy” so I guarantee you’ll walk away with buckets of interesting footage.

The event will be held on January 2nd - 5th of 2014 at The Gaylord Resort and Convention Center in National Harbor, MD (about 10 minutes outside Washington DC). Load-in and setup will be January 1st.

If you have any questions, please leave them below.

If you're interested and would like more info, PM or email me at george@tasickmedia.com.

More info on MAGFest can be found here ... MAGFest - Music and Gaming Festival, or watch this video ...

Thanks for your time!

George

PS - If there are any companies (rental houses, manufacturers, distributors, etc.) that read this and would like to participate, please email me. MAGFest has great PR value!
Old November 21st, 2013, 11:50 PM   #180
Regular Crew

I'm only responding because I walked away from my media business for this very reason.

Unfortunately there are countless weekend shooters that have DSLRs and a decent tripod that will work for free ... and provide a quality that's acceptable to customers who don't really care (and some that do).

I recently was asked to do a pro-bono project for a trade organization I'm part of ... I asked them to rent a light kit and a shotgun mic for the shoot. They said no, they wanted to do the project for $0. I said OK and walked away from it. During our annual convention, I saw that they got someone else from the organization to bite, they had a 5D and a Rode video mic. I was impressed by the gear, but shook my head when they where shooting at night, in the desert, with no lights and the tripod was about stomach level shooting up the interviewees nose, with live band playing behind him. I didn't see the footage, but I laughed at the thought of it. If they post it to the organizations website, I'll laugh harder!

For my job now, I still get to do all the creative production work I was doing independently, I just do it for a single company. Fortunately the company I work for was a startup and I have full creative control to build the companies marketing as I see fit ... I rarely have a budget, but at least I get paid a salary.

I've found that simply owning a camera and knowing how to use it is not enough these days, you need to know how to package yourself as a unique product, how to market yourself and how to sell yourself. Philip Bloom is a great example of this ... he's a good cinematographer, but not better than some I know ... what he did so well, was turn his name into a brand and market it globally.

I can't really comment too much though, I just posted a pro-bono gig. But at least in that situation it's for a legitimate non-profit group, I can give you access to a great event, feed you the whole time, put you up in a hotel (even if the room is shared), it's a ton of fun and you walk away with tons of demo worthy footage.

Last edited by George Tasick; November 22nd, 2013 at 03:21 PM.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands