Helping Hands from 2013 - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Helping Hands
Post a job, find a job, hire a crew, join a crew... seek out and deploy!

Closed Thread

Old May 5th, 2013, 01:16 PM   #91
Major Player

Re: How can I get some experience editing footage (and shooting if possible)?

I live in the Sacramento area. I'd love to make a career of this, but not sure what sort of pay editors and/or camera operators can make. As a software engineer (who is presently out of work), I am curious if I'll make (or can make) close to what I do (did) as a software engineer. Given that I have a family, mortgage, etc, I am unfortunately not able to just do free or low paid jobs for the next many months. I guess I'd prefer editing over on location camera shooting because I have a decent setup at home, and it wouldn't involve much if any travel to do it.

I am confident in that I can learn what I may not know now, which is probably a lot. I of course can't charge much if anything initially until I have something to demo with and show what I can do. That's where I'd like to get started if possible.

Thanks.
Old May 5th, 2013, 01:20 PM   #92
Major Player

Re: Filming one hour in Silver Spring, MD

I would guess that a video plus a 2nd person to get in close with a H4N and a couple mics might provide a decent setup in something like this? Is there a tap from the mixer that can be used for the audio?
Old May 5th, 2013, 04:35 PM   #93
Inner Circle

In that case I'd look for a steady income as a software engineer and basically, not waste time following your video editing dream.
Wait till your circumstances improve.

Cheers.
Old May 6th, 2013, 06:53 AM   #94
Inner Circle

Kevin,

Allow me to chime in as someone who went through the exact same dilemma a couple of years ago. I got laid off from a decent electronics technician job in the middle of 2010. Family, small kids, mortgage, car payment, you name it... living the American "dream". Turned into a nightmare in a heartbeat. I was fortunate enough to receive unemployment insurance for the maximum time allowed by the law, and build up slowly my videography business at the same time. In case you wonder, this is not only lawful, but encouraged by the DOL.

BUT! Again, I was fortunate enough that my wife was able to put in additional hours at her job as an RN and made up for the difference (financially). If you don't have this option, I would advise you against going the video route. It is a very, very slow-start business, very frustrating, with tons of promises and few deliveries. Do not, and I will emphasize DO NOT go the Craigslist way where you offer your services for free in hopes of paid work later - there is no such thing! Just sharks trying to take advantage of you, and get work done for free.

I know this is not what you want to hear, but it's an honest, disinterested advice from someone who walked this walk. Today I make a decent living doing mostly legal work, but also corporate and some event (no weddings) - but it took me three years to get here.

Whatever you decide, I wish you all the best.

Last edited by Ervin Farkas; May 6th, 2013 at 07:33 AM.
Old May 6th, 2013, 11:59 AM   #95
Major Player

Ervin,

Thank you for the honest reply. Pretty much what you said is what I figured would happen. However, how did you get paying business with nothing to show of your work when you didn't have anything to show initially? I would think doing a few free gigs gets you in the door to learn some things, build up a reel, and if you error, it's free, so no hard feelings hopefully.

I tell you, the video business for things like weddings seems like a bad choice.. photographers make more and do less, if you factor in the editing time after shooting video all day. The other problem is, there is just way too much competition around. With so many options, word of mouth seems to be the best bet in this business for most things.

My dream of course is to make music videos and commercials. That said, I know it's cut throat and the chances are slim without some sort of "in" or, as you did in your case, years of build up.

My wife is a nurse too, but unfortunately is also out on disability, and thanks to working a contract gig last year, I get no unemployment. I do have most of the gear now, although my camera is crap, I am looking to replace it with the BM Pocket Cinema Camera in August. I have a full rig, audio recorder with a couple boom mics (do need some lavs), slider, (no jib, not sure I want to spend money on that unless I get paid making a music video and have use for it). I plan on buying a couple Rokinon cine lens, maybe the SLR one as well for wide angles, but otherwise, I think I am "ok" on gear for now. I do plan to upgrade to the H6N when it comes out as well. I'd love the 4K cinema camera, but that is a bit out of reach anytime soon.

I'd love to shoot a movie, but I can't even fathom how to do that. The tech side, sure.. doubt I am near as good as many on this forum, but I can set up the camera, some lighting (still learning), sound, etc and shoot the film. It's the actual script that I can't come up with. Not even sure how you connect with people with scripts either. It would be fun. I think when time allows and money is coming in again, I'd like to try some of the 48 hour film shoots and community film projects if I can get in with some.
Old May 6th, 2013, 01:57 PM   #96
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Doco and former TV news videojournalist looking for interesting opportunities abroad

I'm at an interesting crossroads in my life - I live in Hollywood North right now (Vancouver, BC Canada) and a great deal of the work I have traditionally made a living doing is now being undercut by recent grads of film schools, regardless of ability.

I'm tired of playing Don Quixote and "tilting at windmills" trying to change and/or inform the masses and I am essentially looking at getting out of the video production game for good...

BUT!

I just had an exceptionally good chat with a friend of mine who knows me and my passions and she suggested that what has always made me HAPPIEST (with some flexibility around that definition...) is my social justice storytelling and sharing important stories with people most at risk who frankly despite the "democratization of video" still don't have voices that are being heard.

So I put it out there to you folks:

I am looking for international opportunities preferable off the Americas that pay enough to have some cash left at the end of a pay period where I would be doing great work, preferably with a REAL news bent (I don't want to do PR work for international conglomerates) aligned with my beliefs in accountability in news acquisition and balanced and fair representation of parties involved.

I'd consider NGO opportunities ONLY if the transparency was high enough in my opinion.

My gold standard for something like this might resemble working with Al-Jazeera in Eurasia as a video journalist.

Downside: I'm an Anglophone. I'm comfortable working in other languages, as evidenced by docs I've shot and edited where primary language was not English (Brazilian Portuguese, German, Tamil) and have worked in the newsroom of the Canadian Public Broadcaster in French but my mastery of other language is virtually non-existent.

I've worked in Brazil and Jamaica on a street kids documentary, in Germany on an economic refugee story and Tamil Nadu, India on a one-year-after-tsunami rebuilding story as well as a lot of social justice and labour stories domestically.

I come from a broadcast background, not a film background.

If anyone has any ideas/leads, PLEASE do not hesitate to contact me via this forum or via email at : roaddogmedia (at) gmail (dot) com

Again, looking for PAID opportunities but don't need to get rich. Enough money to live plus take an annual vacation abroad to "get away from the stress" would be adequate. More is obviously better.

Thanks for reading!
Attached Thumbnails
Helping Hands from 2013-me-raj-fb.jpg   Helping Hands from 2013-me-children-india-fb.jpg  

Helping Hands from 2013-scr-6.jpg   Helping Hands from 2013-me-camera-old-fort-india.jpg  

Helping Hands from 2013-_brazil001.jpg   Helping Hands from 2013-germany001.jpg  

Old May 6th, 2013, 02:11 PM   #97
Inner Circle

Re: Doco and former TV news videojournalist looking for interesting opportunities abr

Of course, I recognize that MY definition of "fair and balanced" may differ from yours.

Please don't allow this to turn into a mud-slinging contest/political soapbox.

I think it is quite apparent what sort of opportunity I'm seeking, based on my core values. I respect differences of opinion - please extend the same courtesy to me.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 6th, 2013, 04:00 PM   #98
New Boot

Re: Camera Jib Operator Wanted ..::PAID::..

Im Still looking for please replay
Old May 9th, 2013, 07:23 AM   #99
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas View Post
Kevin,
Do not, and I will emphasize DO NOT go the Craigslist way where you offer your services for free in hopes of paid work later - there is no such thing! Just sharks trying to take advantage of you, and get work done for free.
Just to clarify my earlier comment on doing free work - I agree with Ervin that Craigslist ads are a waste of time. If, however, you want to do some work for free to get experience, choose the businesses you want to work with and contact them directly to make an offer. That way you can bring ideas to them and work on what you want to work on - so you are getting something out of it too.

Of course, you don't want to be doing free work for long, but you do need to have something to show people when you're just starting out.
Old May 10th, 2013, 09:41 AM   #100
Trustee

Re: Doco and former TV news videojournalist looking for interesting opportunities abr

Wow, Shaun, what you're doing is totally awesome! What you are trying to accomplish is the true meaning of life...to get out there and experience people and cultures, in their environment. That is how to learn and live!

In a situation like this, I think having a facebook account really helps if you don't already have one. Post your situation and desire there, and I'm sure your friends could hook you up with potential possibilities.

My hat goes off to you. With your attitude, I'm sure you won't have to search too hard, the work will come to you! Good luck and keep us posted with your experiences!
Old May 12th, 2013, 10:23 AM   #101
Regular Crew

Re: Filming one hour in Silver Spring, MD

I'm in the area, and I specialize in concert recordings. You can see a recent video from the University of Maryland here:

Old May 12th, 2013, 05:42 PM   #102
Inner Circle

Thanks Warren. I've got a similar "plea" on both my personal and business Facebook pages, information around what I'm looking for on my LinkedIn account as well as in the hands of a couple of very well connected social media friends of mine.

In addition, I have filled out an application at Aljazeera's web site.

I've never been one to put all my eggs in one basket so I have spread the proverbial net far and wide.

I grew up poor - the only way I can make a difference in this world is by leaving a LIVING legacy. I'll never be rich but I've earned a fair and decent living doing video for 15 years. Now as the market is softening, I'm trying to get back to why I started all this in the first place.

When I do shed this mortal coil, I hope my eulogy sounds something like "he may have never been rich, but he led a life rich in experiences and made a difference".

Or perhaps "he may have BEEN rich but..." <sly grin>
Old May 12th, 2013, 08:49 PM   #103
New Boot

Looking to get more experience.

Hey there,

My name is Sachi Bahra, I'm 19 years old and am an aspiring cinematographer studying at the School of Visual Arts. I have worked on a few short films and would like to work on more sets in the camera department throughout the summer. I am currently in Manhattan, contact me via email at sbahra8@gmail.com if any of you are in the area!
Old May 12th, 2013, 08:52 PM   #104
New Boot

Looking to get more experience.

Hey there,

My name is Sachi Bahra, I'm 19 years old and am an aspiring cinematographer studying at the School of Visual Arts. I have worked on a few short films and would like to work on more sets in the camera department throughout the summer. I am currently in Manhattan, contact me via email at sbahra8@gmail.com if any of you are in the area!
Old May 21st, 2013, 08:07 PM   #105
Major Player

EX3 for 3Hr Shoot in Philly 05/23/13

I was just asked tonight if I would be available to do a shoot in Philly on Thursday and I will need a second operator with camera (EX3 only) and sticks - easy indoor shoot beginning around 9:30am. You will need enough cards/battery to record straight through for 3 hours, will download material to my laptop. Pay in cash at end of job.

I will find out tomorrow if this is a go but will need to give them a price at that point.

contact me with your price if available asap at:
kevin.spahr at spahrproductions dot com

Thanks!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Community Marketplace > Helping Hands