Womble's MPG2VCR ver3.14 is out! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old July 7th, 2003, 05:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Womble's MPG2VCR ver3.14 is out!

Hello everyone,

Well, alot of you are asking how to edit your MPEG's from the HD1U/HD10U. Womble has released version 3.14 which will edit, mux/demux, convert and more on MPEG-2 Transport Streams. It is frame accurate (always has been) and easy to use.

Here's Womble's link: http://www.womble.com/

Add TMPGEnc Plus to the mix and you can even convert to 24p if you've a mind to. Author and burn to 24p DVD's and your downward compatible to NTSC in a workable, viewable format.

Here's TMPGEnc's Link: http://www.pegasys-inc.com/

Windows user only -- Sorry.

-Rodger
Old July 7th, 2003, 09:05 PM   #2
Regular Crew

24p DVD from HD clip...

I got myself curious posting this. I was wondering just how much different 24P DVD would look using the HD MPEG-2 for source footage.

So, I did a little test using one of the clips Paul Mogg provided. Take a look if your interested in going to DVD from this camera.

-Rodger

OOPS - Guess you'll need the link http://www.4site-communications.com/...download&cid=4
Old July 7th, 2003, 10:27 PM   #3
Major Player

Does this new version handle HD resolutions, and does it re-encode to transport stream MPEG 2, or is it editing natively in TS format?

Thanks
Old July 8th, 2003, 05:20 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Mogg : Does this new version handle HD resolutions, and does it re-encode to transport stream MPEG 2, or is it editing natively in TS format?

Thanks
Fully native and doesn't re-encode except for changed GOP's during edits.

I haven't really edited TS MPEG-2 to any degree, but I have used Womble for a couple of years on standard MPEG1/2 without problems. BTW, it has been one of the few (very few) editors that will do frame accurate editing with MPEG's. Even Premiere, isn't frame accurate with MPEG's to this day.

If you have a PC, you can d/l the current version and run it in trial mode to test it yourself.

-Rodger
Old July 8th, 2003, 08:19 AM   #5
Major Player

Actually I tried that and it didn't work, asked for a serial #, I then downloaded what appeared to be the trial version and it wouldn't load up a TS file from my camera. I'd like to give it a little test with my HD1OU material before buying, to see if I like it, could let me know if that's possible please? I'm probably just doing something simple wrong.

Thanks
Old July 8th, 2003, 10:34 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Mogg : Actually I tried that and it didn't work, asked for a serial #, I then downloaded what appeared to be the trial version and it wouldn't load up a TS file from my camera. I'd like to give it a little test with my HD1OU material before buying, to see if I like it, could let me know if that's possible please? I'm probably just doing something simple wrong.

Thanks
You know, now that you mentioned it, I remember the trial will only work on MPEG1 files. Really pretty stupid of them, locks out most everyone wanting to try it these days doesn't it?

I guess you will need to base your decision by trying it on MPEG1's. Even though I have it and us it, I have always said MPEG is a output format not and edit format. Mostly all I edit in MPEG is clipping start/finish and maybe some segments. I always do real edits in .AVI or .MOV format in Vegas or Premiere. I just wanted to let the folks (asking how to edit these MPEG's) know about Womble.

You might want to send an email to Womble tech or sales asking for a temporary serial number to activate your trial version.

Good luck.

-Rodger

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions