tablet users at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old September 12th, 2008, 07:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

tablet users

i am in the market for a tablet for my pc that I will be using for photoshop/graphics work and hd editing. In general is a tablet helpful in editing video at all? For those who use their tablet for both, is it more of a pain to use a wide screen format one on a photo, or a standard one on hd video?

I currently have a full screen monitor. How would the widescreen tablet deal with the discrepancy, or is the tablet soley program based? For example, if I am in photoshop and designate my canvas to be 10x1, will the tablet only allow me to use an area that shape and then when I switch to Premiere, will it only allow me to use a 16x9 area?

Thanks
Jamey Gigliagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 04:41 AM   #2
Trustee

Seems like a waste of money because of the inadequate disk configuration, the limited screen resolution and size, the memory limitations etc. This especially for HDV.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 05:43 AM   #3
Major Player

I believe you are referring to a Wacom (type) tablet and not a Tablet PC mobile device I think Harm is referring to.

Usually a tablet "maps" to your screen regardless of resolution, i.e. the top left corner of the tablet is the top left corner of your screen. The same goes for the other corners and everything in between. However you can also set it up to work on just part of your screen though the control panel/software.

Applications need to support the extra functionality the tablet offers. Photoshop support just about everything. Pro 3D apps also support many functions. Most video apps only support basic functionality (pressure sensitivity). See an overview here: Wacom Tablet Enhanced Software

How useful the tablet is to you depends on what you use it with and which tablet you purchase.

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 08:36 AM   #4
Trustee

You were right George, I was referring to a tablet PC. Sorry for my mistake.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 08:55 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I did not see Premiere listed on Wacom's site. Does it not support tablet use of any kind?

I am currently leaning toward the 9x12 wacom intuos3.
Old September 14th, 2008, 12:31 PM   #6
Inner Circle

the best is a tablet with an underlying lcd screen, so you can draw over what you see.
it is a bit more expensive but it is really nice.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 01:26 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I saw those Cintiq ones and they seem like an ideal solution, but since I am not doing professional work and am just a high school student I just cannot justify the price. $2000 vs $670 for the same sensitivity level and comparable size. There are just too many other things that I really need at the moment that I think would be more beneficial.

How hard is it to train yourself to draw with your hand, but only see the results and your canvas on your monitor? Does it take a few minutes, hours, days, years?

Has anyone used a wacom tablet with premiere who could comment on its practicality/compatibility?

thanks
Old September 14th, 2008, 03:31 PM   #8
Inner Circle

i really do not see any reason to use a tablet for video editing, except if you do graphic work on video (rotoscoping)
a "shuttle" button or a keyboard marked with shortcut would be more useful and less expensive.
most of professional using editing programs are using keyboard and shorcuts more than mouse. It is a lot faster.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 05:07 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamey Gigliagi View Post
How hard is it to train yourself to draw with your hand, but only see the results and your canvas on your monitor? Does it take a few minutes, hours, days, years?
I could never get used to it really or maybe I'm too old/stubborn to learn ;-)
Colleges swear by them however. And you are correct, PPro has no tablet support.

IMHO it is really more for Photoshop and 3D work where you select many tools/inks and can use the extra functions of the tablet.

For editing I'd go with Giroud's advice. Color and audio techs also have their "own" control surfaces to enhance the (work) experience.

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 06:09 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I own a 6x11 wide wacom... If I where you I wouldn't go bigger than this, the bigger the panel the more you have to move your arm to achieve the same result. A mouse is convenient because its easy to move from one side of the screen to another in a flash, exactly what video editors want.

I mainly use it for painting in photoshop or making masks or whatever. I stick to the gaming mouse for Premiere, purely because its quicker.

I think alot of TV editors use a tablet because Avid has a shuttle feature where the editor can scrub back and forward using a circular motion of the pen.. its really quick and efficient. Premiere has no wacom features but you can still use the pen like a mouse.
Blake Raidal is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions