New PC on the cheap... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old March 31st, 2009, 11:16 AM   #1
New Boot

New PC on the cheap...

Hey guys,
I'm making the jump from mac (g4 powerbook) and FCP over to pc for premiere. I'm doing it for cost reasons, and if i could put a lot of money into a comp, i'd rather get a mac and stay on the editor that I'm more comfortable with.

I have questions, and i've tried searching forums, but haven't really gotten answers, only created more questions.

Looking to go with a Quad-core, noticeable differences between 2.5 and 3.0 ghz? I know ram plays a big role, and the about $130 less with the 2.5 could be put towards additional ram.

Quadro's seem to be the suggested route for video cards, but not really within my budget. Would an SLI link between two nvidia cards help? Or is that more for gaming?

Raid hard drives, is that easy to set up? Would it be better to get a couple smaller drives and raid it, rather than just one tb drive.

The whole adobe production suite run well with 64bit vista? I need that for more than 4 gigs right? 64bit still seems dicey so I've read. Could XP still play a role?

Overclocking? Should this be done or is it risky business?

Thanks for the help. I used to have a fair computer knowledge, but went mac and got sorta dumbed down I guess.
Alex Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 08:50 PM   #2
Trustee

Are you editing HDV material? If so a RAID is likely not worth the effort. You say you are on a budget, so I would recommend a $100 Nvidia card (e.g. a fanless 9600GT) over a Quadro.

If you are planning on using CS4, I'd say you definitely need a 64bit system because it clearly needs LOTS of memory (there's a Adobe whitepaper around somewhere that spells this out). And even with plenty of memory many people are frustrated with CS4 presently - and are hoping the 4.1 update will improve performance and stability. I'd say its CS4, not 64bit, that's dicey.

CS3 runs OKish on an XP32 system until you have large projects - general advice then is to work on such projects in chunks. CS3 seems to benefit from a 64bit system, at least when used with other programs running ... it runs very nicely for me on XP64.

The way I look at overclocking is to not PLAN on doing it, but once your system is up and running you may find you CAN, in which case it's a nice bonus. Video editing with Premiere seems fairly quick to become glitchy at levels of overclocking that many other programs remain comfortable with.

Hard to answer the RAM vs. CPU question - how much RAM will you have if you don't spend the $130 on that?
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 09:09 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I echo Graham's sentiments. I'm confused, you start with "New PC on the cheap..." then go on to detail a system that is anything but cheap: raid, quad 2.5-3ghz, Quadro video card. Add to that the os and premiere, and dual monitors, I'd imagine that's some where north of $1,900. What do you consider "cheap"? That price range could get you a high end iMac.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 12:31 PM   #4
New Boot

The camera I have is a Canon XH-A1, so will be working with HDV.

Sorry Pete for jumping around between inexpensive and the higher end stuff. With a lot of the research I've been doing for building a new computer, all the things "they" say you "have to have" ie: quadro's, raid, so on and so forth, really just trying to gauge how necessary they are.

What I've been looking towards at the moment:
3.0 quad about $325
Mobo: gigabyte brand $100
8 gigs ddr2 1066 $130
1tb 7200 hard drive $109
Nvidia 9800 geforce 512mb videocard $135

So, around $800 and we're just using the rest of a previously home-brewed computer for case, dvd and rest.

Oh, and mainly the reason of switching to pc, is that if i built a mac would have to still get an adobe package for photoshop, flash, illustrator, but would have to also buy the Final Cut Studio package as well. Might as well just get a pc and use premiere.
Alex Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 06:41 PM   #5
Inner Circle

better off with i7 920 and over clocking it >> 3.0 quad about $325
nehalem mobos start @ $200 >> Mobo: gigabyte brand $100
4g of ddr3 >> 8 gigs ddr2 1066 $130
2 hard drives: 1 for sys other for video data >>1tb 7200 hard drive $109
You most likely need a new psu

you could get FCE your still going to have to buy software no matter what platform you pick. I believe cs4 for the mac includes premiere. Depends on what your doing and whether you need all the other stuff included in the studio. sounds like you have your heart set on a pc so good luck let us know how it turns out.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 02:52 PM   #6
New Boot

Hey Pete,

Thank's for the advice, and have switched out for everything from your suggestions.

Now have:
i7 920 quad 2.66ghz = 288.99
Gigabyte GA-ex58-ud3r MoBo = 199.99
and (3 x 2gig) DDR3 Ram = 89.00

Which is only costing me a bit more than the other setup.

I'm also going for an ATI Radeon HD 4670 card as I read that the HD 4000's also work with Photoshop/Premiere like the quadros. That card is about 80 bucks.

All in all my system is looking to cost about $1,100 (minus keys,mouse,monitor, and adobe production pack), which is a lot better than spending 3k+ for a mac pro. I'll definitely miss FCP, but researching cs4 the easy workflow between premiere and aftereffects looks like it will be right up my alley for the work I have to do.

I'll definitely post some pictures after I purchase the stuff and start building.
Alex Diaz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions