HD Editing Questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old April 6th, 2009, 10:57 PM   #1
New Boot

HD Editing Questions

Hello.

I shot some HD footage over the weekend for the first time and wanted to make sure I understand everything correctly.

I shot on an HVX in 1080i 24p, recorded to a hard drive. Now, when I transferred the files to my computer, they are in 1080i60 DVCPRO HD format. So, it's not actually 24p in this format. The only way to get it to 24p would be to uncompress it. But, would I even have any use for uncompressed HD if my output plan is to upload to the internet and to put on an SD DVD? Thus, any reason/way for me to use the 24p?

Thank you in advance.
John Jaquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 07:23 PM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jaquish View Post
... when I transferred the files to my computer, they are in 1080i60 DVCPRO HD format. So, it's not actually 24p in this format. The only way to get it to 24p would be to uncompress it.
Not necessarily. If you have Premier, you can select the clips in the bin and interpret the footage to 24p, then you should be good to go. I know this works with DV and HDV. By extrapolation it should work for DVCPRO but I don't know.

Other NLEs have this functionality too.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 07:41 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jaquish View Post
The only way to get it to 24p would be to uncompress it. But, would I even have any use for uncompressed HD if my output plan is to upload to the internet and to put on an SD DVD?
You seem a bit confused. You can't "uncompress" your footage. You could transcode your DVCPROHD footage to an uncompressed codec, but that doesn't give you back whatever information was lost when the camera initially encoded the video as DVCPROHD. Furthurmore, the video codec and the video framerate are mutually exclusive; they are independent attributes.

What I suspect is going on is that you need to removed the 3:2 pulldown with which I believe your footage was recorded. You would need to consult your NLE software user manual for detail on how to do that with whatever it is you are using to edit. After the pulldown is removed, your 29.97 fps footage will then be 23.98 fps.
Old April 8th, 2009, 09:46 AM   #4
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Barber View Post
You seem a bit confused. You can't "uncompress" your footage. You could transcode your DVCPROHD footage to an uncompressed codec, but that doesn't give you back whatever information was lost when the camera initially encoded the video as DVCPROHD. Furthurmore, the video codec and the video framerate are mutually exclusive; they are independent attributes.

What I suspect is going on is that you need to removed the 3:2 pulldown with which I believe your footage was recorded. You would need to consult your NLE software user manual for detail on how to do that with whatever it is you are using to edit. After the pulldown is removed, your 29.97 fps footage will then be 23.98 fps.
You're right. I am confused, hence my question.

Thank you for the advice. I'll see about removing the pulldown in FCP and how it effects the footage.
John Jaquish is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions