How to Demux m2t files? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old November 18th, 2003, 02:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How to Demux m2t files?

Hi,

How do I demux the m2t files so that I can import them into editing software?

I have a PC not a Mac.

Thanks in advance.
Hse Kha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2003, 07:52 PM   #2
MPS Digital Studios

What NLE software are you using?

heath
Old November 18th, 2003, 08:56 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for your reply.

I use VirtualDub, but also have access to Premiere.

Basically I want to turn the m2t file from the JVC HD Camera to an AVI so that it can then be easily imported into any program.

I can turn m2v files or mpg files into AVIs using TMPEG quite easily. I use HUFFY lossless compression.

But the hard part is to turn the m2t files into m2v or mpg files, which is basically just de-multiplexing the stream.

Isn't there any shareware utlity out there that can convert from m2t to mpg or m2v?

Can you anyone help please?

Thanks.
Old November 18th, 2003, 09:02 PM   #4
MPS Digital Studios

Hmm...Anyone want to field that? I'm curious about the AVI files, too.

heath
Old November 19th, 2003, 12:12 AM   #5
Regular Crew

The people where I work and myself have been using Project X to demux, it produces a mpv and mp2 or wav file. The tool is a bit clunky to work with but does the job.
I have been using it mostly on the Mac but have run it on a PC as well (It is a Java program and requires JRE to run).
http://www.dvinfo.net/jvc/media/ProjectX.tar.gz
Please let me know if you need any more info, I would like sombody else on this forum to have some success with the program. (see http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16812)
Paul St. Denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2003, 11:29 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks Paul, but that program is a nightmare! You need a Java complier before you do do anything!

I am not a programmer.

Is there anywhere to get the complied executable?
Old November 19th, 2003, 12:21 PM   #7
Trustee

Yes, does anyone have something we can all download and use without learning Java?

If so, I'm sure Chris Hurd will allow it to be posted. He posted the non-compiled version here a week or so ago.

Thanks, Chris
Christopher C. Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2003, 03:34 PM   #8
Regular Crew

The program is a compiled version, you do not need to know how to program Java to use it, you need the Java run time (JRE)
available at java.sun.com installed (OSX people already have it installed) once that is installed you double click on the .jar file as you would any executable.
The file on dvinfo is gziped tar file. because that was the easiest thing to do on OSX but winzip has no problem uncompressing it.
Paul St. Denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2003, 04:06 PM   #9
Trustee

But, it won't open on Panther for me. I've got the latest updates too. I'm not sure if anyone else has the problem too?
Christopher C. Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2003, 04:11 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Oh and VLC will demux as well, use the "open file" option (not "simple open") browse for the m2t file created by the HD capture utility, check the "stream output" box, click on the settings button
under "output methods" check file and name your file with the .mpg extension.
and use the MEPG PS radio button. It gives the option to transcode the streams as well.

VLC is available for the OSX as well but unlike the files Project X produces, they are not openable in Final Cut.
I have been using Vegas on the PC which opens transport streams directly so haven't worked with the .mpg the VLC produces, I notice it is playable in WMP and VLC however.

I was playing around with VLC on the Mac in an attempt to get Quickime MPEG4 files back to a transport stream so we would have a round trip back to the camera on the Mac. It will produce a MPEG 2 transport stream from MPEG4 but the files are corrupted and won't play properly in VLC.
Paul St. Denis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions