MPEG streamclip on Vista 64 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old May 18th, 2009, 04:15 AM   #1
Major Player

MPEG streamclip on Vista 64

My brain is so frazzled from looking at the search results for this, that I hope I haven't missed the answer.

I was using MPEGstreamclip to convert M2T files to MPEG on my windowsXP computer. But now I've replaced it with a Vista64 machine, MPEGstreamclip doesn't seem to work. It brings up the first frame, and then the picture freezes. However, I can still convert the clips - which would be ok, but I want to trim the clips first.

Anyone know if this is a regular problem? How do I get round it?

I didn't ask for 64-bit Vista, but apparently had to have it because I asked for extra RAM.

TIA
Old May 18th, 2009, 04:47 AM   #2
Trustee

Why use MPEGStreamClip at all? Why not capture with Elements or HDVSplit? I see no reason to convert M2T files to MPEG.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 06:25 AM   #3
Major Player

Why do any of us do things the way we do?

The files are coming from the Canon XH-A1 via the Sony HVR MRC1K. Elements will import them, but they stay as M2T clips in the directory, and so windows media player won't play them. A lot of my clips are quite long animal behaviour clips, and are often shown alone without being part of a longer sequence.

Trimming and converting them in MPEGstreamclip is quicker and easier than in elements.

I've not seen anything to say that elements maintains the GOPs - if you save a clip (save as movie option) the clips are recompressed. I don't think this happens in MPEG streamclip if you choose to start your clip at the beginning of a GOP. If I'm labouring under a misconception here, could someone please let me know.
Old May 21st, 2009, 10:44 PM   #4
Major Player

Annie,
I've entered in/out points manually in MPEGStreamClip on Vista 64. But I've known in advance which frames to mark as in/out points and haven't tried playing the clips. I've only done it to extract particular segments from the video for diagnostics, so I only had to enter a range, with the actual in/out points being largely irrelevant. But I did enter them manually...

Thanks,
Matt
Matt Vanecek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 11:53 AM   #5
Regular Crew

- fyi -

Windows Media Player under Windows 7 supports .M2T/.M2TS media playback natively. It was one of the first things I tested while trying out the new OS - [media captured with my XH A1].
Laurence Scott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions