Macbook Pro HD-SDI output options--please weigh in at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old June 3rd, 2009, 06:05 PM   #1
Wrangler

Macbook Pro HD-SDI output options--please weigh in

Hello:

I will be hosting an event that requires output from a Macbook Pro. The clips will be played out of FCP from a ProRes timeline. Output must be HD-SDI.

Output quality must be pristine--no tearing, compression-y stuff or other anomalies. It needs to look as good as an HD tape playback on a broadcast monitor as this material is being used for evaluative purposes.

What are my options for an output interface that are available now (event is on June 14th)? Also, would I be able to use my "beater" laptop, a 1 GHZ aluminum Powerbook for this (laptop will be somewhat vulnerable to the elements during the event), would it have the firepower to run HD without hiccups?

Also, might there be an easier interface to run these clips during the event than FCP? We would need to switch between perhaps 5 clips and have them loop continuously until they are changed. I'd love to set up something where the function keys (for instance) could be assigned to each clip, with the looping function automatic. I'm not a scripter so it would have to be easy-squeezy.

I thank you for your input!
Old June 4th, 2009, 05:23 PM   #2
Major Player

For the output from the laptop you could go AJA IO that you can rent around LA for 100 bucks a day or so. You could also buy the Matrox MXO 2 that has a PCI express card for the Mac pro slot but you will be hard pressed to find it as a rental.

For the live playback you talked about there should be some form of live switcher that will play back quicktimes and uses a simple GUI. I know the Ocean Film Festival in Santa Barbara used one and I'm assuming Pro Res could be easily played back on one of those computers.

For the 1GHz laptop playing back Pro Res... Nope.
James Brill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2009, 07:31 AM   #3
Wrangler

Thank you James. I did find a Matrox locally, but ultimately got hooked up with a hardware solution (Omega HD from Fast Forward Video) that should be a lot easier to work on the day. I appreciate your response!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions