Somebody listened!! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old May 28th, 2004, 10:46 AM   #16
Major Player

Well, as I said before, I'm a ScreenPlay fan. I wish you'd take that same device and convert it to edit HDV!
Lynne Whelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2004, 10:46 AM   #17
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Health pointed out that you can get a screaming NLE system for around $3000 (PC = $1800 + Aspect HD with Pro software $1200.) If you want to go from 160GB to 300GB add $100. $3100 beats $5000. Plus PC prices are always falling, by the time this thing comes out your expense might around $2000.
Old May 28th, 2004, 10:59 AM   #18
Major Player

But you have to factor in the frustration factor for trying to learn the software and that's--what?--priceless. Those hours and hours spend on the learning slope. And then when you stop for a month or two to do something else, you have to start all over again. Whereas a box...you turn on and in seconds you're cutting and humming along. You have to add in this stress factor because you're literally talking days subtracted from your life. On your deathbed (not to be maudlin) would you pay $5000 for another month to live and enjoy life? I sure would!!!
Old May 28th, 2004, 11:00 AM   #19
MPS Digital Studios

I would say that if you paid:

$2000 for the 3 ghz PC and a nice monitor

$1200 for Premiere Pro, Aspect HD with tools to make pro DVDs and nice titles, plus audio

$500 will probably get you a good amount of hard drive space. I wouldn't be surprised if that got you upwards of 500 to 600 gb. All you have to do is figure out what are the best hard drives (David, which one?) and I'm sure you can grab them at CompUSA for 50 cents to a buck a gigabyte.

Plus, and I'm a Machead here, Windows XP is more stable than someone's own Operating System. Millions of people use Windows XP, so Microsoft can do many tests from this and then update everything.

heath
Old May 28th, 2004, 11:17 AM   #20
MPS Digital Studios

You're starting to sound like I used to, Lynne. I'll just buy this thing, because it seems good. I was lucky my friends stopped me from buying these things!

Would you buy a light kit because it said it was an HDV light kit, and cost $1000 more than the other light kit?

I wouldn't...

heath
Old May 28th, 2004, 11:22 AM   #21
Trustee

This ain't going anywhere...no sense trying to convert. You should buy it and let us know how it goes!

Murph
Old May 28th, 2004, 11:31 AM   #22
MPS Digital Studios

Murph,

Good point.

heath
Old May 28th, 2004, 11:47 AM   #23
MPS Digital Studios

One last thing, Lynne:

Is it upgradable?

Does it do other HD, like Aspect HD and Prospect HD do?

The learning curve on non-linear editing isn't tough; I went into Premiere 5.1 and Final Cut Pro 1.0 cold (no non-linear experience other than 5 minutes watching a 1996 Avid clunk along) and learned what I needed within a couple of hours.

And I'm NOT much of a tech person; I can't do graphics or websites! (But I can write, direct, produce and edit well, btw...)

heath
Old May 28th, 2004, 11:58 AM   #24
MPS Digital Studios

When I say upgradable, I mean hardware-wise. Can you go into CompUSA and buy a new hard drive for a song, or do you have to buy THEIR hard drive for three times the price, like Compaq and HP?

heath
Old May 28th, 2004, 02:21 PM   #25
MPS Digital Studios

Applied Magic have a nice system for $4000.

heath
Old May 28th, 2004, 07:45 PM   #26
Major Player

You're missing the point

(I'm directing this mainly to David Newman since he's the only known one among us with the power to create hardware...) The point is there are probably lots of folks like myself out there that prefer the simplicity of a dedicated editing appliance that comes with its proprietary simple user interface. And we're willing to pay for that simplicity. Yes, even thousands of dollars more. I mean, 100,000 Cassie owners can't all be crazy. Since we're all in the business to make money, why not recognize the need--the vulnerability?--the gullibility?--whatever it is and make a product that bypasses the PC and Mac interface? Editing doesn't have to be as complicated as it is! Let us concentrate on the ART of editing and leave the SCIENCE to others.
Old May 28th, 2004, 07:59 PM   #27
Warden

I don't think your proposal is a very viable for a manufacturer. Apple is not a large computer manufacturer any longer. But I believe they produce more than 100,000 iMacs per quarter and produce the easiest and simplest interface for editing video in the world, iMovie. My 10 year old son produces videos on iMovie. He knows more about the program, and operates it better than I do. I'm not really sure what you're looking for Lynne?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2004, 08:16 PM   #28
Major Player

iMovie doesn't edit HDV.
Maybe I'm just a poor learner but I bought two books on FCP (the Dummies one and one by Rubin). After squinting at my 17" eMac screen for hours on end until my eyes felt like they were ready to explode, the Rubin book brought me to the point where I think, I think I could have cut something very basic. But that was three months ago. I'd have to start all over again because I haven't used it since. I told someone I felt like FCP was like sitting in the cockpit of a 747 with its miriad of controls when all I really needed was a Piper Cub to get me from point A to point B. Now if I had the Cassie or ScreenPlay, it's like typing. You just don't forget the fundamentals because....because....it...just...makes...sense.
Old May 28th, 2004, 08:26 PM   #29
Warden

I feel you're over thinking FCP. My students are editing with FCP within the first hour of class. Editing isn't brain surgery, if you make a mistake everything is still OK. Forums like this and Apple's FCP support forum are here to help. If book learning doesn't fit your style, search out a good workshop or seminar on FCP. It's much cheaper than a $4,000 proprietary editing box.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2004, 06:55 PM   #30
Major Player

- Couldn't help it - just had to add my $.02.

I helped a friend edit some sync 2 camera - separate sound track stuff on an older Casablanca. I'll take Ulead Media Studio Pro any day. The limited capabilities of the "Cassy" as he called it just don't necessarily translate into simplicity.

Here are some things I know MSP does - and they now have HDV plug-in.
1. Import a series-of-pictures (from animator)
2. Import a high-res still, and pan, tilt, and zoom around it.
3. Display video on separate monitor from timeline, bin, etc.
4. import a low-res mpg-1 (from internet).
5. give you a choice of using crummy included MPG-2 encoder or separate one for your DVDs.
6. Warp a picture into an infinite variety of 3d, cylindrical, and spherical shapes.
7. While adding transitions is simple, keyframes can still be added to modify the linearity of transitions. Keyframes can also be added to - say - gradually change color correction throughout a clip.
8. Export low-res clip (for internet).
9. Export PAL for your European friends.
...and much, much more!

Cuts only editing with an occasional dissolve is still simple - and the added capabilities are there when you're ready

Oh yeah! ...and all that stuff everyone else mentioned.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions