Workable PC config to edit hd video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old May 27th, 2004, 10:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Workable PC config to edit hd video

Just add one serial ATA harddisk (160GB, 7200rpm) in my PC.

But in jvc editing software, the play back is not smooth when the video clip is stored in this serial ATA harddisk. Do you have any suggestion to solve this problem.

Thanks.
Peter Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2004, 10:55 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

The HDV MPEG2TS is a very low data rate at under 3MBytes per second. A modern 7200rpm drive can sustain over 35MBytes/s. The poor playback you are seeing is due to decoding HD MPEG2 -- that takes a lot of computing power. For smooth playback you are going to need more computing power or a different workflow. What type a system are you currently using?
Old May 28th, 2004, 12:25 AM   #3
Regular Crew

P4 2.8G CPU, 1GB Ram
Peter Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2004, 08:47 AM   #4
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Peter Robert : P4 2.8G CPU, 1GB Ram -->>>

That should be fine. My P-4 2.6Ghz with 512mb and 3x 5200rpm drives has no problems with the HD10 files.

What program are you using to view the footage? I've been using Intervideo WinDVD 5 with as many codecs for HD stuff as I can find for it. Cyberlink PowerDVD has been useless for me with any HD stuff.....If you're using Windows media player, I'd suggest getting MP9 and the latest WMV HD codec stuff from Microsoft. I've found playback in WMP stutters for me sometimes, so I tend to steer clear of playing back in WMP unless I've encoded HD avi's which work fine....
Steve Crisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2004, 10:24 AM   #5
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Yes Steve is correct, your 2.8 should be plenty fast enough. Clearly I'm not a fan of the bundled JVC software as I'm engineer on a competing solution (you may want to try out our free download at cineform.com.)

Marketing mode off.

There may something wrong on you PC's setup as it should be working fine. At the office we use Sandra system benchmarking software (http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/) to determine if drives and memory are running at the correct speed. It is a technical tool but you may find it helpful to locate any issues.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions