Live HD monitoring from HD-1OU with VLC and laptop at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old September 4th, 2004, 01:06 PM   #1
Major Player

Live HD monitoring from HD-1OU with VLC and laptop

Hi folks,
I know someone (I think it was Paul St.Denis) posted on here that you could use VLC to monitor HD live from the camera via firewire on a Mac laptop. Could someone post exactly how you do this please?, as I can't seem to find the details either on this forum or in the VLC help. I think an "open capture device" option had been mentioned, but I can't seem to find that in VLC either.

Many thanks
Old September 6th, 2004, 10:08 AM   #2
Regular Crew

It was only with the Windows version of VLC. VLC's Open Capture Device command is not in the Mac version.
Bob England is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2004, 11:06 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for posting Bob, can't believe I'd have to get a Windows PC to do this, last thing I'd ever want!

Paul
Old September 6th, 2004, 07:46 PM   #4
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Paul Mogg : Thanks for posting Bob, can't believe I'd have to get a Windows PC to do this, last thing I'd ever want!

Paul -->>>

I'm using a Toshiba P-20 17" WS laptop to monitor HD signal with VLC from my HD10 via firewire. Works great.....

I'm sure a Mac OS version supporting video capture will be available at some point......in the future......hopefully not too distant........

So, if you're desperate to monitor your HD10 live you would have to cross to the dark side.
Steve Crisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2005, 11:39 PM   #5
Regular Crew

This is a little off the monitoring topic, but I'm happy to say that streaming live 720P video from the HD10 via firewire to a laptop with VLC works pretty darn well. I'm using VLC's MPEG TS encapsulation method to go direct to disk with the video. Best thing is no conversion from tape! You're already saving to a transport stream. This saves quite a bit of time.

My portable's not that powerful either. Dell Latitude 600, PIII M running at 1200Mhz with a firewire PCMCIA card. Gotta have lotsa disk though..40GB free for a couple hours of video.
Scott Frase is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions